Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Δημήτρης Ζέρβας

Default iPod HOWTO?

On Jun 21, 2012 10:31 AM, "David Benfell" <benfell@parts-unknown.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a facepalm moment. I'm utterly failing to find the correct way
> to do this.
>
> The Arch wiki entry is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod
>
> It's out of date because "HAL has been deprecated for a while now."
>
> Like an idiot, I managed to overlook that. And I think I got HAL sort
> of working. But Banshee gets "permission denied" when I try to copy
> music onto by iPod.
>
> I don't even have a clue which way to go with this. As near as I can
> tell, only root can write to the iPod, but I had the notion that I
> should run Banshee as my regular user. I can't even change the
> ownership of the mount point:
>
> graton# chown benfell:users /media/iPod
> chown: changing ownership of '/media/iPod': Operation not permitted
>
> What now?

chown as root

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
David Benfell

Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Mantas Mikulėnas

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM, David Benfell
<benfell@parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> This is a facepalm moment. I'm utterly failing to find the correct way
> to do this.
>
> The Arch wiki entry is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod
>
> It's out of date because "HAL has been deprecated for a while now."
>
> Like an idiot, I managed to overlook that. And I think I got HAL sort
> of working. But Banshee gets "permission denied" when I try to copy
> music onto by iPod.
>
> I don't even have a clue which way to go with this. As near as I can
> tell, only root can write to the iPod, but I had the notion that I
> should run Banshee as my regular user. I can't even change the
> ownership of the mount point:
>
> graton# chown benfell:users /media/iPod
> chown: changing ownership of '/media/iPod': Operation not permitted

With the vfat filesystem, `chown` will not work as the filesystem does
not support ownership -- the UID is given at mount time as "-o uid=".

> What now?

Start by uninstalling HAL.

In the archwiki article, hal is mentioned purely for its auto-mount
functionality, which has been moved to udisks||udisks2 in all current
desktop environments. Even if you don't use a DE, you can still use
udisks{2,},

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/disk/by-label/iPod

$ udisks --mount /dev/disk/by-label/iPod

or mount the iPod manually:

$ sudo mkdir /media/iPod
$ sudo mount /dev/disk/by-label/iPod /media/iPod -o uid=$UID

In any case, the commands are exactly the same as with a generic USB pendrive.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas