Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Jayesh Badwaik

Default Advice on opening the ".rm" files in ArchLinux

Hi,

I have just downloaded the following file [0]. It is an .rm file but I am
not able to open it in either VLC or Mplayer. I have posted -the error
messages below.

Thanks in advance.

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik

[0] ftp://ftp.aduni.org/videos/08_lect_01.rm

P.S. As a background, the file is the first of the lecture of Theory of
Computation.
http://aduni.org/courses/theory/index.php?view=cw

P.P.S. ERROR MESSAGES

ERROR MESSAGE IN VLC:
$ vlc 08_lect_01.rm
VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-0-gf432547)
[0x1b06138] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[rm @ 0x7efff8c1fe00] Unsupported stream type 4d4c5449
[rm @ 0x7efff8c1fe00] Unsupported stream type 4d4c5449
[rm @ 0x7efff8c1fe00] Unsupported stream type 000001f5
[rm @ 0x7efff8c1fe00] Unsupported stream type 00000424
[rm @ 0x7efff8c1fe00] Unsupported stream type 00000644
[rm @ 0x7efff80035e0] Unsupported stream type 4d4c5449
[rm @ 0x7efff80035e0] Unsupported stream type 4d4c5449
[rm @ 0x7efff80035e0] Unsupported stream type 000001f5
[rm @ 0x7efff80035e0] Unsupported stream type 00000424
[rm @ 0x7efff80035e0] Unsupported stream type 00000644

ERROR MESSAGE IN MPLAYER:
$ mplayer 08_lect_01.rm
MPlayer SVN-r34799-4.6.3 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
183 audio & 398 video codecs
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.
Playing 08_lect_01.rm.
libavformat version 54.2.100 (internal)
REAL file format detected.
Stream description: audio/x-pn-multirate-realaudio logical stream
Stream mimetype: audio/x-pn-realaudio-recording
Stream description: video/x-pn-multirate-realvideo logical stream
Stream mimetype: video/x-pn-realvideo-recording
Stream mimetype: logical-fileinfo
Stream mimetype: logical-fileinfo
Stream mimetype: logical-fileinfo
No stream found.
Exiting... (End of file)

Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 AM
"Nelson Marambio"

Have you tried the package realplay from the AUR yet ?

(For it seems this is a RealAudio file).

Best regards,
Nelson.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Jayesh Badwaik

On Thursday 21 Jun 2012 10:48:02 Nelson Marambio wrote:
> Have you tried the package realplay from the AUR yet ?
>
> (For it seems this is a RealAudio file).

Yes, I tried it right now. It only plays audio though. My friend is
telling me on windows it is playing video too so it is a video file in
reality. Anyway, I will for now convert it too theora/mp4 from .rm from
windows computer for now.