Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

On 07/02/2012 02:42 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:

I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
during the reboot....

Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
and:
could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or directory
on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt, without completing
the reboot.

What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
reboot can complete?

Doc,

It will take one of the smarter devs to tell you exactly what the error is
telling you, but it looks to me like your initramfs got
borked/corrupt/whatever and for some reason it can't determine what modules to
load because whatever hook or link to the modules.dep file is either not there
or broken.

In my case when this happened with 3.4.4-2 and dmraid, I had to boot with
the 2010.05 install disk due to the latest not having dmraid hooks, then I had
to manually assemble the dmraid (not your 'md'raid) arrays and manually remake
the initramfs with 'mkinitcpio -p linux'. This fixed my initramfs corruption.
(mine wouldn't even boot to the modules.dep point)

After remaking the image -- all my problems went away. I don't know why I
experienced this issue for the first time with 3.4.4-2, but I suspect it has
to do with 'filesystem' and not the kernel. I have seen some weird issues both
with dmraid and with archroot in the past couple of weeks.

Like I said, a smarter guy will have to help with the exact message, but
hopefully a remake of the initramfs will straighten your modules.dep problem out.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Monday 02 Jul 2012 13:42:39 D. R. Evans wrote:
> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
> during the reboot....
>
> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
> init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
> and:
> could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or
> directory on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt,
> without completing the reboot.
>
> What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
> reboot can complete?

When you say "reboot", you're saying that these messages appear as ArchLinux
is trying to boot (after grub), right? Not as it's shutting down?

Could you list the messages that appear before the error messages, so that we
can get an idea of what stage you've got to in the boot process?

Like David, I also think this smells like an initramfs issue, and chances are
that if you can chroot into your system somehow and run "mkinitcpio -p linux",
it might help.

Paul

Old 07-03-2012, 05:51 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Paul Gideon Dann said the following at 07/03/2012 02:35 AM :
> On Monday 02 Jul 2012 13:42:39 D. R. Evans wrote:
>> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
>> during the reboot....
>>
>> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
>> init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
>> and:
>> could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or
>> directory on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt,
>> without completing the reboot.
>>
>> What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
>> reboot can complete?
>
> When you say "reboot", you're saying that these messages appear as ArchLinux
> is trying to boot (after grub), right? Not as it's shutting down?

Yes... although it's not GRUB, since the wiki says that GRUB is not supported
with RAID. So it's SYSLINUX.

> Could you list the messages that appear before the error messages, so that we
> can get an idea of what stage you've got to in the boot process?

That's non-trivial... there's no way to capture them, so I would have to hope
that XON/XOFF works (which it probably does) and write them down by hand. I'll
do that when I can summon up the enthusiasm for it. Frankly, after more than a
week trying to install Arch on RAID, I'm awfully close to giving up and going
back to Ubuntu, which Just Worked, at least insofar as the installation was
concerned.

In the meantime, as far as I recall, the messages said that the various RAID
arrays were up and running, and then immediately I started getting a series of
the "failed to create pty" messages. But it's quite likely that I've forgotten
one or two informative messages that appeared before the errors started to occur.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Guus Snijders

2012/7/3 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Paul Gideon Dann said the following at 07/03/2012 02:35 AM :
>> On Monday 02 Jul 2012 13:42:39 D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
>>> during the reboot....
>>>
>>> Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
>>> init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
>>> and:
>>> could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or
>>> directory on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt,
>>> without completing the reboot.

[...]

>> Could you list the messages that appear before the error messages, so that we
>> can get an idea of what stage you've got to in the boot process?
>
> That's non-trivial... there's no way to capture them, so I would have to hope
> that XON/XOFF works (which it probably does) and write them down by hand. I'll
> do that when I can summon up the enthusiasm for it. Frankly, after more than a
> week trying to install Arch on RAID, I'm awfully close to giving up and going
> back to Ubuntu, which Just Worked, at least insofar as the installation was
> concerned.
>
> In the meantime, as far as I recall, the messages said that the various RAID
> arrays were up and running, and then immediately I started getting a series of
> the "failed to create pty" messages. But it's quite likely that I've forgotten
> one or two informative messages that appeared before the errors started to occur.

Hello Doc, the messages sound a bit like a read-only root filesystem.

I understand you've been going through a lot of work, but it seems
like there has been so much done on this system, that it's very hard
to troubleshoot now.

One thing that isn't entirely clear to me (anymore); was this on a
fresh install, or were you converting an existing Archlinux-install to
a Raid configuration?

In the case of fresh install; would it be an option to start over from scratch?
I ask this, because then it would be a lot easier to list all the
neccesary steps one by one and hopefully get it running as wished in
the first place.
I'm willing to dig up some spare HDD's to try and get Arch installed
on a RAID1 array, right from the start, but only if that is what
you're looking for.

mvg,
Guus

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Guus Snijders said the following at 07/03/2012 01:57 PM :

> In the case of fresh install; would it be an option to start over from scratch?

This was a fresh install.

My original problem (lack of /dev/md<n>) was due to an ambiguity in the
English in the various wiki pages.

Once I got past that, I proceeded right through the entire installation
process, start-to-finish, with no obvious error. And then I performed the
#reboot, which is sort-of "do this to make sure it all worked" step at the
very end.

I didn't for a moment think there would be a problem at that stage. But there was.

I am wondering if the problem is something crazy like the fact that the RAID
pair I'm using is on sdc and sdd, and something somewhere is assuming that I'm
using sda and/or sdb (which actually are a RAID1 pair with Kubuntu on them).

I'm thinking about simply pulling the plug on sda and sdb, and performing a
completely fresh install again so that there's no chance whatsoever that at
any point in the process can it go to sda or sdb by mistake.

> I ask this, because then it would be a lot easier to list all the
> neccesary steps one by one and hopefully get it running as wished in
> the first place.
> I'm willing to dig up some spare HDD's to try and get Arch installed
> on a RAID1 array, right from the start, but only if that is what
> you're looking for.

That is indeed what I'm looking for.

Let me try one last time; I don't want to drag any one else into the morass
that I'm currently experiencing unless it's absolutely necessary. I just need
to get my enthusiasm up to the point where I'm willing to spend another hour
or two trying it again.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Guus Snijders

2012/7/3 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Guus Snijders said the following at 07/03/2012 01:57 PM :
>
>> In the case of fresh install; would it be an option to start over from scratch?
>
> This was a fresh install.
[...]
> I am wondering if the problem is something crazy like the fact that the RAID
> pair I'm using is on sdc and sdd, and something somewhere is assuming that I'm
> using sda and/or sdb (which actually are a RAID1 pair with Kubuntu on them).
>
> I'm thinking about simply pulling the plug on sda and sdb, and performing a
> completely fresh install again so that there's no chance whatsoever that at
> any point in the process can it go to sda or sdb by mistake.

Hmm, i thought that /etc/mdadm.conf should take care of that.

>> I ask this, because then it would be a lot easier to list all the
>> neccesary steps one by one and hopefully get it running as wished in
>> the first place.
>> I'm willing to dig up some spare HDD's to try and get Arch installed
>> on a RAID1 array, right from the start, but only if that is what
>> you're looking for.
>
> That is indeed what I'm looking for.
>
> Let me try one last time; I don't want to drag any one else into the morass
> that I'm currently experiencing unless it's absolutely necessary. I just need
> to get my enthusiasm up to the point where I'm willing to spend another hour
> or two trying it again.

Ok. I guess you'd best contact me off-list if we are going side-by-side.
If/when we find something wrong in the wiki we could report back here.

mvg,
Guus