Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Jason Ryan

Default Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

On 21/06/12 at 06:13pm, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> On Thursday 21 Jun 2012 09:44:03 D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Extract from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (sorry about any possible wrapping issue):
> >
> > MODULES="dm_mod"
> > HOOKS="base udev mdadm_udev lvm2 autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems
> > usbinput fsck"
>
> I have two RAID setups that work well for me. On both, I don't have anything
> in the MODULES line, and the following hooks:
>
> HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata mdadm lvm2 filesystems"
>
> I hope this helps. I don't know anything about the mdadm_udev hook.

“Assembly via udev is also possible using the mdadm_udev hook. Upstream prefers
this method of assembly.” Arch Wiki

/J

--

http://jasonwryan.com/ [GnuPG Key: B1BD4E40]

Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
"D. R. Evans"

"Jrme M. Berger" said the following at 06/21/2012 11:13 AM :
> D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Paul Gideon Dann said the following at 06/21/2012 03:41 AM :
>>> To me, this sounds like the RAID array is being given the wrong name, or the
>>> mdadm hook isn't being added to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.
>>>

>> Extract from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (sorry about any possible wrapping issue):
>>
>> MODULES="dm_mod"
> Try adding "raid1" there...

Extract of /etc/mkinicpio.conf now reads:
MODULES="dm_mod raid1"
HOOKS="base udev mdadm_udev lvm2 autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems
usbinput fsck"

It made no difference, though :-(

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Chris Sakalis

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jrme M. Berger" said the following at 06/21/2012 11:13 AM :
>> D. R. Evans wrote:
>>>>

>>> Extract from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (sorry about any possible wrapping issue):
>>>
>>> MODULES="dm_mod"
>> * * * Try adding "raid1" there...
>>

> Extract of /etc/mkinicpio.conf now reads:
> MODULES="dm_mod raid1"
> HOOKS="base udev mdadm_udev lvm2 autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems
> usbinput fsck"
>
> It made no difference, though :-(
>
> *Doc
>
> --
> Web: *http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Sorry for the stupid question, but do you rebuild the init ram image
after changing your mkinitcpio.conf ?

--Chris Sakalis

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Chris Sakalis said the following at 06/21/2012 01:15 PM :
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Try adding "raid1" there...
>>>

>> Extract of /etc/mkinicpio.conf now reads:
>> MODULES="dm_mod raid1"
>> HOOKS="base udev mdadm_udev lvm2 autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems
>> usbinput fsck"
>>
>> It made no difference, though :-(
>>
>> Doc
>>
>> --
>> Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR
>>

> Sorry for the stupid question, but do you rebuild the init ram image
> after changing your mkinitcpio.conf ?

I don't understand the question, so it's not at all stupid. I'm just following
the instructions on the wiki. The wiki says to edit mkinitcpio.conf
immediately prior to the reboot, so that's what I'm doing. It doesn't mention
any need to rebuild an image (nor how to do it).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Chris Sakalis

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sorry for the stupid question, but do you rebuild the init ram image
>> after changing your mkinitcpio.conf ?
>
> I don't understand the question, so it's not at all stupid. I'm just following
> the instructions on the wiki. The wiki says to edit mkinitcpio.conf
> immediately prior to the reboot, so that's what I'm doing. It doesn't mention
> any need to rebuild an image (nor how to do it).
>
> *Doc
>
> --
> Web: *http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

On the wiki, it does not mention anything about rebuilding your
initramfs, because mkinitcpio is called automatically by the installer
after the configuration phase. However:

mkinitcpio.conf is read by the mkinitcpio utility in order to create
the initial ramdisk image. Essentially, it's a bunch of stuff needed
by the kernel before the root filesystem is made available. After you
edit the mkinitcpio.conf file, you HAVE to rebuild[1] your initramfs
image, in order for the changes to actually take effect. If you just
edit the file and then reboot, nothing is done.

Also, I assume you are using the live CD for making your changes. Make
sure that, when creating the images, you have chrooted[2] into your
installation and you are not just creating them on the Live CD fs.

--Chris Sakalis

[1] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Image_creation_and_activation
[2] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Chris Sakalis said the following at 06/21/2012 01:57 PM :
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry for the stupid question, but do you rebuild the init ram image
>>> after changing your mkinitcpio.conf ?
>>
>> I don't understand the question, so it's not at all stupid. I'm just following
>> the instructions on the wiki. The wiki says to edit mkinitcpio.conf
>> immediately prior to the reboot, so that's what I'm doing. It doesn't mention
>> any need to rebuild an image (nor how to do it).
>>
>> Doc
>>
>> --
>> Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR
>>

> On the wiki, it does not mention anything about rebuilding your
> initramfs, because mkinitcpio is called automatically by the installer
> after the configuration phase. However:
>
> mkinitcpio.conf is read by the mkinitcpio utility in order to create
> the initial ramdisk image. Essentially, it's a bunch of stuff needed
> by the kernel before the root filesystem is made available. After you
> edit the mkinitcpio.conf file, you HAVE to rebuild[1] your initramfs
> image, in order for the changes to actually take effect. If you just
> edit the file and then reboot, nothing is done.

My turn to ask a stupid question, because I'm sure your explanation makes
perfect sense to someone who understands this stuff, but I don't: my previous
experience with installing Linux on RAID was with Ubuntu, for which I didn't
need to mess with any of this.

Are you saying that between these instructions:

---

Add the dm_mod module to the MODULES list in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.
Add the mdadm_udev and lvm2 hooks to the HOOKS list in
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf after udev.

---

and the next step:

---

Once it is complete you can safely reboot your machine:

# reboot

---

there should be some additional step(s)?

> [1] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Image_creation_and_activation

That seems to say that I should run mkinitcpio, but that step isn't mentioned,
even adumbratively, anywhere on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM#RAID_installation

Hopelessly, completely, lost and beginning to despair....

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Chris Sakalis

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> My turn to ask a stupid question, because I'm sure your explanation makes
> perfect sense to someone who understands this stuff, but I don't: my previous
> experience with installing Linux on RAID was with Ubuntu, for which I didn't
> need to mess with any of this.
>
> Are you saying that between these instructions:
>
> ---
>
> * *Add the dm_mod module to the MODULES list in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.
> * *Add the mdadm_udev and lvm2 hooks to the HOOKS list in
> /etc/mkinitcpio.conf after udev.
>
> ---
>
> and the next step:
>
> ---
>
> Once it is complete you can safely reboot your machine:
>
> # reboot
>
> ---
>
> there should be some additional step(s)?
>

>> [1] - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Image_creation_and_activation
>
> That seems to say that I should run mkinitcpio, but that step isn't mentioned,
> even adumbratively, anywhere on
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM#RAID_installation
>
> Hopelessly, completely, lost and beginning to despair....
>
> *Doc
>
> --
> Web: *http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

I myself do not use RAID, so I may be totally wrong, but I pretty sure
that you have to create a new initramfs image.

Note that, the arch installer automatically generates the image after
the configuration is done (the penultimate step of the installer -
"Configure System"). I guess that's why it is not explicitly mentioned
in the wiki.

If you edit your mkinitcpio.conf *without* or *after* running this
step, then you have to create a new image on your own. Otherwise, the
installer takes care of it.

Again, I do not use RAID, but given your problems and the lack of
results from the solutions mentioned above, I think this is likely
your problem.

--Chris Sakalis

Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Chris Sakalis said the following at 06/21/2012 02:39 PM :

> Note that, the arch installer automatically generates the image after
> the configuration is done (the penultimate step of the installer -
> "Configure System"). I guess that's why it is not explicitly mentioned
> in the wiki.
>
> If you edit your mkinitcpio.conf *without* or *after* running this
> step, then you have to create a new image on your own. Otherwise, the
> installer takes care of it.

OK; I understand. Thank you.

I'll go back and make sure that this is happening properly when I have the
stomach for it (not today!).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 06/21/2012 03:57 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Chris Sakalis said the following at 06/21/2012 02:39 PM :
>

>> Note that, the arch installer automatically generates the image after
>> the configuration is done (the penultimate step of the installer -
>> "Configure System"). I guess that's why it is not explicitly mentioned
>> in the wiki.
>>
>> If you edit your mkinitcpio.conf *without* or *after* running this
>> step, then you have to create a new image on your own. Otherwise, the
>> installer takes care of it.
>>

> OK; I understand. Thank you.
>
> I'll go back and make sure that this is happening properly when I have the
> stomach for it (not today!).
>
> Doc

D. R.,

I just stumbled across the information in the mkinitcpio wiki page working a
'dm'raid boot failure. Take a look at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

Under:

Using RAID

First, add the mdadm hook to the HOOKS array and any required RAID modules to
the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

Kernel Parameters: Using the mdadm hook, you no longer need to configure your
RAID array in the GRUB parameters. The mdadm hook will either use your
/etc/mdadm.conf file or automatically detect the array(s) during the init phase
of boot.

Assembly via udev is also possible using the mdadm_udev hook. Upstream prefers
this method of assembly. /etc/mdadm.conf will still be read for purposes of
naming the assembled devices if it exists.

HTH, sorry if you already had the info.

- --
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 06/20/2012 11:27 AM :
> I have carefully followed the RAID instructions at:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM#RAID_installation
>
> I have not used LVM, just RAID. I have double-checked what I actually did, and
> believe that I did exactly what the page tells me to do.
>
> I have two identical drives, which I configured as RAID1.
>
> At the conclusion of the installation, the instructions say:
>
> ----
>
> Once it is complete you can safely reboot your machine:
>
> # reboot
>
> ----
>
> When I try to reboot, I receive the error message:
> ERROR: device /dev/md0 not found
> ERROR: unable to find root device /dev/md0
>
> What do I have to do to get past this error?

I have finally reached the point where the various /dev/md<n> devices mount
during the reboot....

Now I get a large number of error messages of the form:
init: failed to create pty - disabling logging for job
and:
could not load /lib/modules/3.4.4-2-ARCH/modules.dep no such file or directory
on the console, and then the system appears to simply halt, without completing
the reboot.

What are these messages trying to tell me, and how do I fix them so that the
reboot can complete?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR