Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský

Default tmp files no longer removed

Hello,
before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.

I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.

Lukas

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Chris Sakalis

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Lukáš Jirkovský <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
> My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
> Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.
>
> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.
>
> Lukas

Hello,
I do not use systemd, but isn't /tmp supposed to be mounted as tmpfs?
I think the change is relatively recent.

Regards,
Chris Sakalis

Old 06-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Klaus

Lukáš Jirkovský schrieb:
> Hello,
> before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
> My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
> Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.
>
> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.
>
> Lukas

Take a look in your /etc/fstab.

Is there a line like "tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0"
which creates a ramdisk and mounts it on /tmp.
I think that is the standard configuration of Arch Linux.

Greetings,
Klaus

--
Jabber: thorres@deshalbfrei.org PGP/GnuPG: 0x326F6D7B

Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
A Rojas

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1118239#p1118239

Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:05:38 +0200

This: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1118239

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D

Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 20 June 2012 18:15, Klaus <thorres@brothersofgrey.net> wrote:
> Lukáš Jirkovský schrieb:
>> Hello,
>> before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
>> My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
>> Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.
>>
>> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
>> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
>> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
>> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.
>>
>> Lukas
>
> Take a look in your /etc/fstab.
>
> Is there a line like "tmpfs * * * * * * /tmp * *tmpfs * nodev,nosuid * *0 * * * 0"
> which creates a ramdisk and mounts it on /tmp.
> I think that is the standard configuration of Arch Linux.
>
> Greetings,
> Klaus
>
> --
> Jabber: thorres@deshalbfrei.org *PGP/GnuPG: 0x326F6D7B

I don't want to use tmpfs for my tmp, as it takes a lot of RAM (I
usually have build chroots here, so its a few gigabytes).

Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Mantas Mikulėnas

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Lukáš Jirkovský <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.

The default configuration in `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf` tells the
tool to only remove files older than 10 days.

To override this, create an `/etc/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf` that cleans
/tmp regardless of access time:

d /tmp 1777 root root -
d /var/tmp 1777 root root -

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Old 06-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 20 June 2012 18:20, Leonid Isaev <lisaev@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:05:38 +0200
> Lukáš Jirkovský <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
>> My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
>> Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.
>>
>> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
>> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
>> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
>> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.
>>
>> Lukas
>
> This: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1118239
>
> --
> Leonid Isaev
> GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D
> Fingerprint: C0DF 20D0 C075 C3F1 E1BE *775A A7AE F6CB 164B 5A6D

Thanks, searching forums didn't come to my mind at all, as I do not
use forums. I wonder why this hasn't been discussed on ML.

Still, I think such functional change should have been mentioned on
the NEWS page, or at least during package upgrade.

Lukas

Old 06-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Jun 20, 2012 6:05 PM, "Lukáš Jirkovský" <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> before submitting bug report I want to make sure this isn't feature.
> My problem is that my /tmp folder is no longer cleaned up during boot.
> Now I have to do that manually which is really annoying.
>
> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.

There was a slight change in behavior. Earlier we would delete all files at
boot, now we (or rather systemd-tmpfiles on our behalf) delete all 'old
files'. That is, all files that have not been accessed within the last then
days.

This behavior is configured in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf. To change the
behavior, copy the file to /etc/tmpfiles.d/ and edit it there. You can
easily configure it to get the old behavior back.

Alternatively, you could put /tmp on a tmpfs, to throw away all contents on
reboot; or create a cron job that calls systemd-tmpfiles regularly (say
once a day) to also delete old files at runtime, rather than only at boot.

Check 'man tmpfiles.d' for more details.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 20 June 2012 18:24, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Lukáš Jirkovský <l.jirkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dug through the git of initscripts and it seems to be caused by the
>> replacement of the original code by the systemd-tmpfiles tool. I've
>> just tried to run systemd-tmpfiles manually and it seems that it is
>> not able to do even a simple task such as rm -rf /tmp/*.
>
> The default configuration in `/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf` tells the
> tool to only remove files older than 10 days.
>
> To override this, create an `/etc/tmpfiles.d/tmp.conf` that cleans
> /tmp regardless of access time:
>
> d /tmp 1777 root root -
> d /var/tmp 1777 root root -
>

> --
> Mantas Mikulėnas

This does the exact opposite of what I want – it never deletes any files.