Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Damjan

Default syslinux and grub

Is that really what I'm supposed to do, given that syslinux is on the other
drive? Like I say, it seems wrong to me, but I really don't know. And if
that's not what I'm supposed to do, what is the right set of commands?

syslinux aka extlinux aka isolinux is most widely know as the
bootloader for bootable CDs

but it's a fairly robust bootloader and can be used for harddrives too.

if your /boot is on a ext2/3/4/btrfs filesystem you can use extlinux.

see here http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX about RAID-1
it suggests a separate /boot partition which I'm not sure is a
requirement so maybe you can test it

make sure you install the syslinux mbr to both of the hard drive
devices.

that grub thing in the wiki page is maybe a sloppy copy/paste or
leftover edit - but I didn't read the wiki

--
дамјан

Old 06-19-2012, 10:22 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Damjan said the following at 06/19/2012 03:45 PM :

> that grub thing in the wiki page is maybe a sloppy copy/paste or
> leftover edit - but I didn't read the wiki

So at this point I'm still left wondering what I'm supposed to do instead of
the grub thing so that the boot information is correctly mirrored on to the
other RAID1 device.

In other words, what *should* the wiki say instead of having the incorrect set
of instructions that refer to grub?

I'll happily try to amend the wiki once someone tells me what the correct
steps are. Writing boot information isn't a process that should contain any
guesswork, so if someone can provide authoritative, complete and precise
instructions I can try to update the wiki to ensure that the next newcomer to
arch doesn't find himself as stuck at this point as I am.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Damjan

So at this point I'm still left wondering what I'm supposed to do instead of
the grub thing so that the boot information is correctly mirrored on to the
other RAID1 device.

In other words, what *should* the wiki say instead of having the incorrect set
of instructions that refer to grub?

see here http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/EXTLINUX about RAID-1

ctrl-f .. "raid"

--
дамјан

Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Tuesday 19 Jun 2012 16:22:16 D. R. Evans wrote:
> So at this point I'm still left wondering what I'm supposed to do instead of
> the grub thing so that the boot information is correctly mirrored on to the
> other RAID1 device.
>
> In other words, what *should* the wiki say instead of having the incorrect
> set of instructions that refer to grub?
>
> I'll happily try to amend the wiki once someone tells me what the correct
> steps are. Writing boot information isn't a process that should contain any
> guesswork, so if someone can provide authoritative, complete and precise
> instructions I can try to update the wiki to ensure that the next newcomer
> to arch doesn't find himself as stuck at this point as I am.

I've done my best to amend the Wiki with the correct instructions. If it
works for you, and your system will boot from any of the disks in the array,
please remove the note about me not actually having tested it. (I'm pretty
confident it'll work, though.)

Paul