Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default x86_64 kernel 3.4.3-1 fail to boot - initramfs unpacking failed: uncompression error

Guys,

Updating an x86_64 box, I ran into an error I've never seen before with the
3.4.3-1 kernel. It hard-locks at the very start of boot with the keyboard lights
flashing. Basically the first line of the boot says:

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
Booting the kernel.
[ 0.480811] Initramfs unpacking failed: uncompression error
[ -.547776] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=
option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.

I literally took a picture of the screen just in case it is of any help:

[155k]
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/ss/arch/kernel343-fail2boot.jpg

Where to start? Boot from an install disk, chroot, and try kernel reinstall?
What say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Ray Kohler

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> *Updating an x86_64 box, I ran into an error I've never seen before with the
> 3.4.3-1 kernel. It hard-locks at the very start of boot with the keyboard lights
> flashing. Basically the first line of the boot says:
>
> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
> Booting the kernel.
> [ * *0.480811] Initramfs unpacking failed: uncompression error
> [ * *-.547776] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=
> option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.
>
> *I literally took a picture of the screen just in case it is of any help:
>
> [155k]
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/ss/arch/kernel343-fail2boot.jpg
>
> *Where to start? Boot from an install disk, chroot, and try kernel reinstall?
> What say the experts?

Looks like a bad ramdisk. Get it booted somehow (fallback image might
even work) and run mkinitcpio -p linux by hand.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 06/19/2012 04:49 PM, Ray Kohler wrote:
> Looks like a bad ramdisk. Get it booted somehow (fallback image might
> even work) and run mkinitcpio -p linux by hand.

Thanks Ray, will do and report back.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 06/19/2012 04:53 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 04:49 PM, Ray Kohler wrote:
>> Looks like a bad ramdisk. Get it booted somehow (fallback image might
>> even work) and run mkinitcpio -p linux by hand.
>
> Thanks Ray, will do and report back.

Ray, thank you -- that worked -- but it doesn't explain why the corruption
occurred in the fist place?

All,

With D.R. Evans mdraid issue and my dmraid corruption of the ramdisk, is there
something in the 3.4.3 kernel handling of dmraid (or raid in general) that might
explain the corruption I experienced?

After I chrooted the system and ran 'mkinitcpio -p linux' by hand, the box
booted right up. Weird stuff.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.