-   -   Arch as a web server (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/674423-arch-web-server.html)

Arno Gaboury 06-19-2012 09:56 AM

Arch as a web server

Hi all,

I plan to settle in the comimg months a web server to deliver many
services to the trading community (I am myself a trader).

I daily use Arch as my system on my home box, and I must admit I am very
satisfied by its strength and its very active and deep involved
community. My plan is to first train building the website on a VM
server, then go to a remote dedicated server.

Can you please give me some pro/against reasons for using Debian distro
rather than Archlinux as a web server? Is there any provider offering
Arch distro, as it seems it is hard, near impossible, to find one.

TY for your advises.

Arno Gaboury 06-19-2012 10:07 AM

Arch as a web server

I plan to settle in the comimg months a web server to deliver many
services to the trading community (I am myself a trader).

I daily use Arch as my system on my home box, and I must admit I am
very satisfied by its strength and its very active and deep involved
community. My plan is to first train building the website on a VM
server, then go to a remote dedicated server.

Can you please give me some pro/against reasons for using Debian
distro rather than Archlinux as a web server? Is there any provider
offering Arch distro, as it seems it is hard, near impossible, to find
one.

TY for your advises.
I just want to add I am just a small level over the n00b status, let's
say I am a n00b++, and learning Debian specificities can proove to be a
waste of time.

Sven-Hendrik Haase 06-19-2012 10:08 AM

Arch as a web server

On 06/19/2012 11:56 AM, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I plan to settle in the comimg months a web server to deliver many
> services to the trading community (I am myself a trader).
>
> I daily use Arch as my system on my home box, and I must admit I am
> very satisfied by its strength and its very active and deep involved
> community. My plan is to first train building the website on a VM
> server, then go to a remote dedicated server.
>
> Can you please give me some pro/against reasons for using Debian
> distro rather than Archlinux as a web server? Is there any provider
> offering Arch distro, as it seems it is hard, near impossible, to find
> one.
>
> TY for your advises.
I've been running an Arch web server for 3 years and there are
absolutely no problems.

Jean-Luc Bassereau 06-19-2012 10:15 AM

Arch as a web server

Le 19/06/2012 12:07, Arno Gaboury a écrit*:

[...]

Depending on the webapps you wish to run, some of them might be very
unpleased not to meet the "usual" distros.
Furthermore, administrating a production Arch web server might be in my
own opinion a time consuming activity (regarding the rolling release
aspect). Especially if (like most of admins) you prefer to test updates
on a "PreProd" server before applying them on production one. You may
probably have a look on the ArchServer project.

Kevin Chadwick 06-19-2012 10:25 AM

Arch as a web server

> Can you please give me some pro/against reasons for using Debian distro
> rather than Archlinux as a web server?

If I was running arch because I wanted greater control or a more
specific setup, I would certainly either use something like ideally a
CARP firewall or if not possible, taking the performance and
secuity hit of virtual machines to enable fallover to a backup
webserver or alternatively test updates on a test machine before
updating.

You should do this on Debian or any server but it will be less of an
issue and so may or may not justify the extra effort/expense?.

In short, arch will likely be better but Debian will almost certainly be
more carefree.

My preference is OpenBSD.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Arno Gaboury 06-19-2012 10:26 AM

Arch as a web server

On 06/19/2012 12:15 PM, Jean-Luc Bassereau wrote:

[...]

I want the website to be first a place for trading ideas/opinions
exchange, with usual stuffs as mailing list, forum,chat rooms or any
kind of article publishing. I need to be easily able to publish
technical analysis in image format. I want to be able to provide live
feeds, quick links to ouside article. Then, I will probably enable some
kind of private login, with acsess to customisable pages.Last would be
to sell analysis and risk mangement software/Latex processed automated
reporting.

Nothing really fancy in fact.

Alper Kanat 06-19-2012 12:22 PM

Arch as a web server

Hey There,

As a Turkish digital social agency and a startup, we have recently
converted all our physical production servers to seperate Arch Linux VM's.
That not just saved us a lot money but also gave us the flexibility of a
primitive cloud. Being cutting edge led us to always support the upstream
and we experience no problems at all. IMHO it's hard to create and maintain
deb packages. Most common pattern is to find another project's deb files
and change accordingly. In Arch, you mostly have a single PKGBUILD file
which is super easy to create and modify. This saves lots of worktime when
we need a dependency which is not packaged. And contributing the distro
(via AUR) is a plus. :)

---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Culley Smith 06-19-2012 12:43 PM

Arch as a web server

I have a Linode server running Arch. I did a little tinkering to enable
kernel updates, but that's about it. I keep things up to date through
Pacman and haven't had many problems at all. I've run php, ruby on
rails, apache, nginx, mysql, postgresql, redis, node.js, and a number of
server-side applications without a hitch. I have found Arch a little
easier to configure (especially with newer technologies/versions of a
package) than other Linux distros.

Culley

satisficer 06-19-2012 12:58 PM

Arch as a web server

On 2012-06-19, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any provider offering Arch distro, as it seems it is hard, near
> impossible, to find one.

Linode <https://www.linode.com/> is a VPS with Arch for USD 20/month. Easy
to setup, and if you screw up something while tinkering, you can just nuke
the image and install another one.