Old 06-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Calvin Morrison

Default Arch as a web server

On Jun 19, 2012 9:29 AM, "Alper Kanat" <tunix@raptiye.org> wrote:

> We bought our VPS' from Hetzner btw. Hetzner is a German ISP which
provides
> cheap (starts from 7€ just look at the price page) but rock solid servers.
> They don't officially support Arch Linux but the installation is trivial.
>
> ---
> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I use VPS-Forge which is also cheap - $8 a month starting. They support
Arch (and are very friendly)

Calvin

Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Szu-Han Chen

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 07:43:06AM -0500, Culley Smith wrote:
> I have a Linode server running Arch. I did a little tinkering to enable
> kernel updates, but that's about it. I keep things up to date through
> Pacman and haven't had many problems at all. I've run php, ruby on
> rails, apache, nginx, mysql, postgresql, redis, node.js, and a number of
> server-side applications without a hitch. I have found Arch a little
> easier to configure (especially with newer technologies/versions of a
> package) than other Linux distros.
>
> Culley
>
> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 16:28 +0300, Alper Kanat wrote:
>
> > We bought our VPS' from Hetzner btw. Hetzner is a German ISP which provides
> > cheap (starts from 7€ just look at the price page) but rock solid servers.
> > They don't officially support Arch Linux but the installation is trivial.
> >
> > ---
> > Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm not sure if these responses are really helping OP. He asked about
running Arch on a web server, not a thread of web hosting company ads.

--
--Szu-Han Chen (sjchen.com)

Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Calvin Morrison

On Jun 19, 2012 9:42 AM, "Szu-Han Chen" <sjchen@sjchen.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 07:43:06AM -0500, Culley Smith wrote:
> > I have a Linode server running Arch. I did a little tinkering to enable
> > kernel updates, but that's about it. I keep things up to date through
> > Pacman and haven't had many problems at all. I've run php, ruby on
> > rails, apache, nginx, mysql, postgresql, redis, node.js, and a number of
> > server-side applications without a hitch. I have found Arch a little
> > easier to configure (especially with newer technologies/versions of a
> > package) than other Linux distros.
> >
> > Culley
> >
> > On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 16:28 +0300, Alper Kanat wrote:
> >
> > > We bought our VPS' from Hetzner btw. Hetzner is a German ISP which
provides
> > > cheap (starts from 7€ just look at the price page) but rock solid
servers.
> > > They don't officially support Arch Linux but the installation is
trivial.

> > > ---
> > > Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
> >

> I'm not sure if these responses are really helping OP. He asked about
> running Arch on a web server, not a thread of web hosting company ads.
>
> --
> --Szu-Han Chen (sjchen.com)
> O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org

There are always more eyes than just the OP

Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Denis A. Alto Falqueto

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Szu-Han Chen <sjchen@sjchen.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if these responses are really helping OP. He asked about
> running Arch on a web server, not a thread of web hosting company ads.

I'm not sure you really read the whole thread, but the OP explicitly
asked for input on host providers supporting Arch

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Arno Gaboury

[...]

Was right now just thinking same. That's good to get some nice VPS
provider names,but I am not sure to know more if I shall stay with Arch
or go debian! Please bear in mind I am not a tech pro, and even if I
want to build the web server on my own coz tech is a hobby, I am looking
for something not too difficult to deal with configuration, updates, and
security.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Arno Gaboury

I'm not sure if these responses are really helping OP. He asked about
running Arch on a web server, not a thread of web hosting company ads.

I'm not sure you really read the whole thread, but the OP explicitly
asked for input on host providers supporting Arch

You are right Denis, I asked too for providers supporting Arch, as it
seems they are not so common.

Please, there is no need to start a flame!! And TY for all these advises.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Mateusz Loskot

On 19 June 2012 14:49, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please bear in mind I am not a tech pro, and even if I want to build the web
> server on my own coz tech is a hobby, I am looking for something not too
> difficult to deal with configuration, updates, and security.

1. Use what you are familiar with regarding your plans.
2. If you are not familiar with any particular OS regarding use cases
you are aiming,
then flip a coin with Debian on one side, and Cent OS on the other.

Best regards,

Tue Jun 19 16:30:01 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=jlSM0hYez43Y9A/9GzyU9msrzSo/lx4gNzMDnVlxStw=;
b=UVIGE8o6G2j7mV1OGgdWpPhyZIw+SCTKPRTWeMWYey3Glfcv BKOQ71py4LQ3JMWgKG
Ulu2gtdNFg1sFfqzdAsUPX2ExubatvpUrw7NAlAZ+DjUze6j94 gGk3F3N98FDJvyyQH1
HH759+xPs/1Ucda/TXVaW+3dk3t3wVtS4Ydt5wj9ApA9I5t2xwMSDhkSVvKAIV4ESm h9
gecU+JGKoHrvN3bAC11ERO2BFOLpd8iPeYXQKPnEhl+5bdJQ9a SdDL45cwyTn3qGKckV
tCd5x1HezxcrcjgptHa224rJmnXHObQqSbQIByB6nBXujc8MlQ 1ZrDWuO3BjiSbe5AF8
q++A==