Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Don deJuan

Default nvidia 295.59-1 dmesg output

On 06/16/2012 05:45 AM, gt wrote:

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 01:40:08AM -0700, Don deJuan wrote:

On 06/15/2012 11:33 PM, gt wrote:

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 06:55:10AM +0100, Jason Steadman wrote:

On 16 June 2012 06:46, gt <static.vortex@gmx.com> wrote:

Hey guys, after upgrading to 295.59 from 295.53, i am seeing the
following in the dmesg output:

NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

Any idea what this is about. Seems to be about the framebuffer driver.
But earlier no configuration was needed for that. Moreover the virtual
console seems to be working fine.

Anyone else got a similar message in the log?

UEFI install by any chance? I ask because the message correlates to
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2543252&postcount=13

Nope, no uefi. It's a pentium 4, with nvidia geforce 210 card.

Are you also seeing this in dmesg as well?

nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
nvidia 0000:01:00.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
vgaarb: device changed decodes:
PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=nonew ns=io+mem
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 295.59 Wed Jun 6
21:19:40 PDT 2012

No, i am not getting any similar message.

Are you still seeing the output in the newest one that came after this
update push? I am still seeing it. Not sure I really get what the issue
even is.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 AM
gt

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:16:55AM -0700, Don deJuan wrote:
> Are you still seeing the output in the newest one that came after
> this update push? I am still seeing it. Not sure I really get what
> the issue even is.

Just upgraded to the latest driver, and yes i am still seeing it as
well. The issue is that nvidia has decided to warn people that these
framebuffer drivers may cause problems. They weren't supported earlier
too, but worked anyhow. But recently they are causing problems for some
people so nvidia thought it would be best to warn people about the use
of these drivers.

You must be having a vga= entry in your boot parameters, as do i. I
tried with vga=0 and didn't see this message.

See the following message by Uroš for more details.