Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
"marshall@brooklandsand.co.uk"

Default xf86-video-sisimedia problems.

I'm having problems with getting a sis 771/671 PCIE VGA display adapter to play
nice with Arch on my asus X5DC laptop.

[marshall@jynx ~]$ lspci | grep VGA 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon
Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)

I've tried drivers from extra (extra/xf86-video-sisimedia 0.9.1-3) and AUR
(aur/xf86-video-sis671 0.10.3-1). Both drivers give the same results, a bright
dark-grey screen getting lighter towards the middle, with the middle being
almost white. I am then returned to a prompt with Xorg saying No screens found.
Looking through /var/log/Xorg.0.log it looks like xorg did find a screen and
tried EVERY possible resolution to start an Xsession but couldn't find a
suitable one.

My questions are:

Is this the right driver for the card or should I be trying something else.

Has anyone got the same card working with this driver and an xorg.conf?

I'm running the VESA driver ATM, which is working fine until I try to play full
screen video or play mari0, then things get slow and ugly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

--TIMTTMY

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Nelson Marambio

[...]

According to the wiki [1], there is another driver xf86-video-sis which
might work better. But of course you shouldn't have installed three
drivers all together.

I hope I could help you.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf86-video-sis

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM

On 17 June 2012 at 13:17 Nelson Marambio <nelsonmarambio@gmx.de> wrote:

> According to the wiki [1], there is another driver xf86-video-sis which
> might work better. But of course you shouldn't have installed three
> drivers all together.
>
> I hope I could help you.
>
> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xf86-video-sis

Thank you very much for the pointers Nelson.
I now have it working with the extra/xf86-video-sisimedia driver and the
following xorg.conf

[marshall@jynx ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "sisimedia"
Card "** SiS 771/761 [sis761]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Option "UseFBDev" "true"
Option "EnableSisCtrl" "yes"
#Option "ForceCRT1Type" "LCD"
#Option "ForceCRT2Type" "NONE"
Option "CRT2Detection" "true" #For me this worked better than forceing the
detection. If you use this comment out the two Force lines above this.
Option "CRT1Gamma" "on"
Option "CRT2Gamma" "on"
Option "Brightness" "0.000 0.000 0.000"
Option "Contrast" "0.000 0.000 0.000"