Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Vladimir Lomov

Default Totem segfaulting on start on a fully up-to-date archlinux with testing enabled.

** fredbezies [2012-06-16 13:02:44 +0200]:

>>> 2012/6/16 solsTiCe d'Hiver <solstice.dhiver@gmail.com>

>>> Guessed it right; Too bad it is sometimes too "windows-like" with nvidia
>>> driver updates :|

>> Too bad that whose who don't known the basics try to make such deep
>> conclusion.

> Don't know the basics ? Just using linux since christmas 2004...

I'm sorry, if you think I insult you. But I wouldn't mess the basics
knownledge with experience. You have to experiment and try to know
something new, always.

>> The last time I really need to reboot after graphics driver update
>> was when I updated kernel too (actually I updated kernel several times
>> without rebooting before I updated the NVIDA driver and reboot).

> Rebooting is sometimes the cleanest and the better way to be sure modules
> are correctly loaded.

If restrict the subject only to kernel and its modules then yes, it is,
IMHO, the only sane way to deal with modules.

>> IMHO, the minimal steps to use new NVIDIA driver are
>> 1. shutdown X system;
>> 2. logout as usual user and login as root;
>> 3. unload nvidia (kernel) module;
>> 4. load new nvidia (kernel) module;
>> 5. start X system.

> Well, it could be a solution, but a reboot is quicker and less hard to set
> up.

See my other message in the thread.

P.S. I don't like to reboot my desktop without serious reasone (it runs
like a server and, it is a secret, I'm using rtorrent on it .

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling
the walk before it stops snowing.

There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years
the dirt doesn't get any worse.
-- Quentin Crisp

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Vladimir Lomov

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Vladimir Lomov

Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Vladimir Lomov

Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM
solsTiCe d'Hiver

Le samedi 16 juin 2012 à 22:50 +0900, Vladimir Lomov a écrit :

> on my desktop: Archlinux x86_64 (AMD), kernel 3.4.2-2, systemd; last
> update brought nvidia 259.59 when I was running openbox. I installed
> update, logout (exited Openbox) which should be bring me to KDM but
> I got a terminal. I logged into terminal as a user, run
> $ sudo systemctl stop kdm.service
> $ sudo modprobe -r nvidia
> $ sudo modprobe nvidia
> $ sudo systemctl kdm.service
> so now all works fine.
>
> From /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
> $ grep 'NVIDIA GLX' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> [ 47278.388] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 295.59 Wed Jun 6 21:40:44 PDT 2012

Well, I should have been more explicit.

I logout from gnome then alt+F1, login as root (yeah!)
$ rc.d stop gdm
$ modprobe -r nvidia
this one failed. I don't why. I don't use systemd and nvidia not anymore
so this is irrelevant, at least to me now.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM
fredbezies

2012/6/16 Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com>

> [...]
>
> > Don't know the basics ? Just using linux since christmas 2004...
>

> I'm sorry, if you think I insult you. But I wouldn't mess the basics

No problems at all.

> knownledge with experience. You have to experiment and try to know
> something new, always.

I do agree. But I think it is cleaner to reboot your linux if some modules
are modified, and of course if kernel is upgraded.

> >> The last time I really need to reboot after graphics driver update
> >> was when I updated kernel too (actually I updated kernel several times
> >> without rebooting before I updated the NVIDA driver and reboot).
>
> > Rebooting is sometimes the cleanest and the better way to be sure modules
> > are correctly loaded.
>
> If restrict the subject only to kernel and its modules then yes, it is,
> IMHO, the only sane way to deal with modules.

Even if I am a "long time" linux user, I try to reboot only when it is
needed. But for nvidia (or radeon) drivers and udev changes, reboot is the
simplest and cleanest way to act

> >> IMHO, the minimal steps to use new NVIDIA driver are
> >> 1. shutdown X system;
> >> 2. logout as usual user and login as root;
> >> 3. unload nvidia (kernel) module;
> >> 4. load new nvidia (kernel) module;
> >> 5. start X system.
>
> > Well, it could be a solution, but a reboot is quicker and less hard to
> set
> > up.
>
> See my other message in the thread.
>
> P.S. I don't like to reboot my desktop without serious reasone (it runs
> like a server and, it is a secret, I'm using rtorrent on it .

I understand. I only have a "normal" desktop computer. And rtorrent ? Well

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 PM
solsTiCe d'Hiver

Le samedi 16 juin 2012 à 19:03 +0200, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 18:33 +0200, solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> > I don't use systemd and nvidia not anymore
>
> You still use an NVIDIA graphics? If so, which graphics do you use and
> do you use the nv or nouveau driver?

I have a geforce 8300 GS. Nvidia driver since 295.xx began giving random
30s freeze when software attempt to use openGL one way or the other, I
guess; like launching firefox or lauching gnome. I don't know what is
the problem/bug.

I have almost no hope that this will ever be fixed and I can't downgrade
because X was updated.

But nouveau drivers are perfectly fine except I can't play some game
anymore. But I never played that much.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
solsTiCe d'Hiver

I just tried the nvidia 173.xx version (nvidia-173xx from AUR). It's
working fine (almost).

I never tried it, thinking it was for old hardware. But it's not. I
guess, just an old branch/version with no support for the latest/newest
shiny hardware/cg

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 20:50 +0200, solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> I just tried the nvidia 173.xx version (nvidia-173xx from AUR). It's
> working fine (almost).
>
> I never tried it, thinking it was for old hardware. But it's not. I
> guess, just an old branch/version with no support for the latest/newest
> shiny hardware/cg

It wasn't ironically. 173, I wasn't sure if it was ..3 (still had 3 in
mind), was my preferred version. I was and I'm serious!

I didn't run Arch, but Suse, Debian and Ubuntu and a "Debian and Ubuntu
derivative", 64Studio with 17x, while there already was 2x available,
IIRC.

I'm not hunting for latest software versions, I'm hunting for softwares
that in combination with other software and my available hardware, fit
to my needs and I freeze a stable Linux that fit to my needs, as long,
as possible. Hardware could irreparable brake, happened to me, or a
bonanza allows me to switch from a semi-pro to a pro-audio card,
happened to me ... thus an upgrade might be needed, happened to me.

I prefer a rolling release to other releases, but I'm willing to freeze
a rolling release on my machine, as soon as I'm satisfied, as long as
possible.

Apologize, broken English, but I'm sure you understand .

Regards,
Ralf

Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Ralf Mardorf