Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Sergi Pons Freixes

Default Powertop tunables and performance

Hi All,

PowerTOP 2.0 was released some time ago [1]. I've seen that it now has
a tunables section where you can turn on/off several optimizations.
When running only with battery, I don't hesitate to turn all of them
on, but I'm not sure about what to do when I'm running on AC. Do you
know if any of the tunables can have an impact on the performance of
the laptop?

Regards,
Sergi

Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Martin Cigorraga

From my subjective own experience, it don't, the only thing I don't
activate when my laptop is plugged is the mouse switch since it instructs
the system to turnoff the USB port whenever there's no activity on it and
that can be very annoying, believe me xD
Combining Powertop 2 with Liquorix kernel, Ulatencyd, e4rat, preload and
some more fancy tweakes here and there -sysctl.conf, grub kernel line,
etc.- I have a feather-light, lightspeed KDE SC full suite with every eye
candy effect on and the best part is my notebook -Pavilion dv7-4287cl-
reminds _cool_ all the time.

--
-msx

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Calvin Morrison

On 31 May 2012 04:47, Martin Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:
> From my subjective own experience, it don't, the only thing I don't
> activate when my laptop is plugged is the mouse switch since it instructs
> the system to turnoff the USB port whenever there's no activity on it and
> that can be very annoying, believe me xD
> Combining Powertop 2 with Liquorix kernel, Ulatencyd, e4rat, preload and
> some more fancy tweakes here and there -sysctl.conf, grub kernel line,
> etc.- I have a feather-light, lightspeed KDE SC full suite with every eye
> candy effect on and the best part is my notebook -Pavilion dv7-4287cl-
> reminds _cool_ all the time.
>
> --
> -msx

One thing that bugs me is the tunables section - you have to open up
powertop every time you boot to set it correctly.

I wish there was some way to just say "ok powertop - make all of the
tunables good just by running" or "ok powertop make x y and z good,
based on this tunable config file".

Seems like that would be a good feature.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Don deJuan

[...]

Then why not figure out all the tunable's you are trying to change
through Powertop2 and put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
Seems way easier to me and is what I do. Just need to run it to find out
all the relevant changeable's for your system.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

to, 2012-05-31 kello 08:07 -0700, Don deJuan kirjoitti:
> put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
> you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
> Seems way easier to me and is what I do.
In AUR there is script called powerdown that does all that.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Calvin Morrison

On 31 May 2012 11:10, Jesse Juhani Jaara <jesse.jaara@gmail.com> wrote:
> to, 2012-05-31 kello 08:07 -0700, Don deJuan kirjoitti:
>> put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
>> you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
>> Seems way easier to me and is what I do.
> In AUR there is script called powerdown that does all that.

I will look into that. thank you

Calvin

Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Don deJuan

On 05/31/2012 08:10 AM, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:

to, 2012-05-31 kello 08:07 -0700, Don deJuan kirjoitti:

put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
Seems way easier to me and is what I do.

In AUR there is script called powerdown that does all that.

yup there is but you still need to make sure it is doing everything for
your system properly. To me it does not cover all the possibilities for
every machine out there. It is good to look at for example settings though.

I know on my system it missed over half the tuneable's when I gave it a
shot.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Calvin Morrison

On 31 May 2012 11:11, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 08:10 AM, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
>>
>> to, 2012-05-31 kello 08:07 -0700, Don deJuan kirjoitti:
>>>
>>> put them in a script such as handler.sh so when
>>> you're on AC or BAT then the script takes care of handling all that?
>>> Seems way easier to me and is what I do.
>>
>> In AUR there is script called powerdown that does all that.
>>
> yup there is but you still need to make sure it is doing everything for your
> system properly. To me it does not cover all the possibilities for every
> machine out there. It is good to look at for example settings though.
>
> I know on my system it missed over half the tuneable's when I gave it a
> shot.

Exactly why using powertop would be much better - it works very well
on my systems and seems to catch all the possible tunables on any
system without me having to rewrite different scripts each time. I'm
envisioning a

powertop --set-all-good

and be done with it.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Don deJuan

On 05/31/2012 08:15 AM, Calvin Morrison wrote:

[...]

I do my script 1 time only on each system I use, unless something starts
occurring with power issues and that has only happened on one machine
since doing it this way. Then just let it run as any script would. acpid
works perfectly to do what you want. Set it up one time and you're good
to go AND done with it. I do not get why you think you have to write a
script each time?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Sergi Pons Freixes

2012/5/31 Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com>:
> One thing that bugs me is the tunables section - you have to open up
> powertop every time you boot to set it correctly.

If you run "powertop ---html report.html", it creates an html where it
tells all the commands that set the tunables for your system, so you
can put them on /etc/rc.local.