Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Alexandre Ferrando

Default Systemd and init scripts

On 29 May 2012 19:24, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
> The latest move of udev to systemd-tools brings up one question for
> me. When do I need to stop updating my machines so I don't have to
> switch to systemd? I don't take care of servers or a massive number of
> systems, just two machines. I have them configured properly and
> working well using the testing repos and currently don't seem to have
> any obvious problems. I took a look at systemd and it seems a bit much
> for my needs; two static wired ip addresses, no laptops, no mobile
> devices, and one printer. Somewhat old fashion and very simple, one of
> the reasons I started using Arch Linux to begin with.
>
> I don't mean to be derogatory or flippant in any way, and I'm not
> trying to start a massive thread on the pros and cons of either init
> system. I appreciate all the work the dev's and tu's have put in to
> making the system as wonderful and stable as it is. I simply don't
> believe I need/want systemd.
>
> Myra
> --
> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

- systemd-tools is meant to be a package that everyone can benefit from
(regardless of PID 1)
- everyone will eventually have systemd-tools installed anyways, as
initscripts will be using it

Also, udev code has been merged upstream in systemd's code. That
doesn't mean you have to run systemd as PID 1.

[ 0 ] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-May/022980.html

Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
> The latest move of udev to systemd-tools brings up one question for
> me. When do I need to stop updating my machines so I don't have to
> switch to systemd?

Never (or at least not for a very long time).

Initsrcripts will be sharing some code with systemd (including, but
not limited to, udev), that is the reason for the recent change.

As an end user you should (hopefully) not notice anything and you will
not end up with the systemd daemon on your system :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Myra Nelson

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
>> The latest move of udev to systemd-tools brings up one question for
>> me. When do I need to stop updating my machines so I don't have to
>> switch to systemd?
>
> Never (or at least not for a very long time).
>
> Initsrcripts will be sharing some code with systemd (including, but
> not limited to, udev), that is the reason for the recent change.
>
> As an end user you should (hopefully) not notice anything and you will
> not end up with the systemd daemon on your system :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Tom & Alexandre

Thanks very much. That's what I originally understood but wanted to be
absolutely sure.

Myra