Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

Default NAS drive revisited

Hi ..

I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
media drive

So lets approach it from a different angle

we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
network

What packages am i looking to install and what configuration changes
do i need to make .

I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
and nasty right now .

I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old Suse
distro on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if it can
work on there why wont it work on Arch ..

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.3.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun May 13 10:52:32 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Damjan

I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
media drive

So lets approach it from a different angle

we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
network

What packages am i looking to install and what configuration changes
do i need to make .

I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
and nasty right now .

I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old Suse
distro on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if it can
work on there why wont it work on Arch ..

What protocols does the NAS support, and which of those you want to use?
If you don't know about protocols, then tell us how do you expect it to
work.

--
дамјан

Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Loui Chang

On Sun 20 May 2012 21:58 +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
> media drive

You just can't write? If you can mount but can't write, then you have
the wrong permissions on the drive and/or uid/gid mixups, depending on
how you want it set up.

> So lets approach it from a different angle
>
> we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
> network
>
> What packages am i looking to install and what configuration changes
> do i need to make .

See the Arch wiki. The ball's in your court here. What you read depends
on how you want to access the drive. SMB? NFS?

> I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
> and nasty right now .
>
> I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old Suse
> distro on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if it can
> work on there why wont it work on Arch ..

Your description of the problem is much too vague. If you want help, you
ought to describe more specifically what you're trying to do, and what
is going wrong.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:09:13 -0400
Loui Chang <louipc.ist@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun 20 May 2012 21:58 +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
> > media drive
>
> You just can't write? If you can mount but can't write, then you have
> the wrong permissions on the drive and/or uid/gid mixups, depending on
> how you want it set up.
>
> > So lets approach it from a different angle
> >
> > we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
> > network
> >
> > What packages am i looking to install and what configuration changes
> > do i need to make .
>
> See the Arch wiki. The ball's in your court here. What you read
> depends on how you want to access the drive. SMB? NFS?

I have read the Arch Wiki till i am blue in the face already hence the
mail ..

mounting with SMB using the line below

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.154/backups -o /home/pete/nas/

After entering the password it mounts . mount reports ..

//192.168.0.154/backups on /home/pete/nas type cifs
(rw,relatime,sec=ntlm,unc=192.168.0.154ackups,
uid=0,username=root,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,ad dr=192.168.0.154,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsi ze=1048576,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)

i can see one thing but cant alter it username=root but you can only
mount as root or using sudo as i have been unless of course you know
different.

> > I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
> > and nasty right now .
> >
> > I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old
> > Suse distro on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if
> > it can work on there why wont it work on Arch ..
>

> Your description of the problem is much too vague. If you want help,
> you ought to describe more specifically what you're trying to do, and
> what is going wrong.

Hummm what am i trying to do Write to the drive and being told unable
to write file

"Your description of the problem is much too vague" Errrrr what more
is there to tell it mounts i can read from it i am unable to write
to it .

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 20 May 2012 23:17:14 +0200
Damjan <gdamjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am still not able to write to my external NAS drive an iomega home
> > media drive
> >
> > So lets approach it from a different angle
> >
> > we will say i have not done anything yet just plugged it into the
> > network
> >
> > What packages am i looking to install and what configuration
> > changes do i need to make .
> >
> > I am trying this way round as i am chasing my tail up somewhere dark
> > and nasty right now .
> >
> > I know the drive works perfectly i have just tried it with an old
> > Suse distro on the Laptop and instant read/write no problem now if
> > it can work on there why wont it work on Arch ..
>
> What protocols does the NAS support, and which of those you want to
> use? If you don't know about protocols, then tell us how do you
> expect it to work.

SMB and to be able to both read and write the device as i used to
be able to do under suse ( dont anyone even think of the go back to
suse line that is a non starter) but i would like to know why it just
works on suse and is a dog on here .

Pete .

Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Damjan

I have read the Arch Wiki till i am blue in the face already hence the
mail ..

mounting with SMB using the line below

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.154/backups -o /home/pete/nas/

After entering the password it mounts . mount reports ..

//192.168.0.154/backups on /home/pete/nas type cifs
(rw,relatime,sec=ntlm,unc=192.168.0.154ackups,
uid=0,username=root,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,ad dr=192.168.0.154,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsi ze=1048576,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)

i can see one thing but cant alter it username=root but you can only
mount as root or using sudo as i have been unless of course you know
different.

add uid=pete in the mount options.

I don't know if it's documented in the wiki, but sure it is in the
`man mount.cifs`

--
дамјан

Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Martin Cigorraga

Hi Nikolic,
If you don't plan to share your NAS with (nasty and mediocre) Windows
systems you should mount it as a NFS4 share, I use it to access my download
and media home servers from various PCs in my home and it's quite a smooth
experience.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Mon, 21 May 2012 01:20:21 +0200
Damjan <gdamjan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have read the Arch Wiki till i am blue in the face already hence
> > the mail ..
> >

> > mounting with SMB using the line below
> >
> > mount -t cifs //192.168.0.154/backups -o /home/pete/nas/
> >
> > After entering the password it mounts . mount reports ..
> >
> > //192.168.0.154/backups on /home/pete/nas type cifs
> > (rw,relatime,sec=ntlm,unc=192.168.0.154ackups,
> > uid=0,username=root,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,ad dr=192.168.0.154,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsi ze=1048576,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)
> >
> > i can see one thing but cant alter it username=root but you can
> > only mount as root or using sudo as i have been unless of course
> > you know different.
>

> add uid=pete in the mount options.
>
> I don't know if it's documented in the wiki, but sure it is in the
> `man mount.cifs`

I'll give that a try thanks ..

Pete .

Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Mon, 21 May 2012 00:11:38 -0300
Martin Cigorraga <msx@archlinux.us> wrote:

> Hi Nikolic,
> If you don't plan to share your NAS with (nasty and mediocre) Windows
> systems you should mount it as a NFS4 share, I use it to access my
> download and media home servers from various PCs in my home and it's
> quite a smooth experience.

Hi

No windows boxes here apart from my brother laptop but he does not use
the drive so not a problem

Pete