Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 AM
adrian sun

Default Is fcitx must executed under a chinese locale?

Hi buddy,
I am using fcitx for inputting chinese words. I got a problem. If I change
my locale to en_US.UTF-8, I can not invoke FCITX by pressing the
'CTRL+Space'.
After I changed my locale to zh_CN.UTF-8, FCITX worked well.

The question is can I use FCITX under the english locale? if I can, how to
configure it?

I read the english wiki of fcitx and it says I should check my locale.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fcitx
Well, only if I change locale to chinese, FCITX works. For some reasons, I
dont want to work under a chinese environment.
I find a little difference on wikis that chinese wiki says I can work under
english locale, but the way I tried didn't work.

Any idea or solution? Thanks!!!

Adrian.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 AM
XeCycle

adrian sun <adriansunny0615@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi buddy,
> I am using fcitx for inputting chinese words. I got a problem. If I change
> my locale to en_US.UTF-8, I can not invoke FCITX by pressing the
> 'CTRL+Space'.
> After I changed my locale to zh_CN.UTF-8, FCITX worked well.
>
> The question is can I use FCITX under the english locale? if I can, how to
> configure it?
>
> I read the english wiki of fcitx and it says I should check my locale.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fcitx
> Well, only if I change locale to chinese, FCITX works. For some reasons, I
> dont want to work under a chinese environment.
> I find a little difference on wikis that chinese wiki says I can work under
> english locale, but the way I tried didn't work.
>
> Any idea or solution? Thanks!!!

It should depend on the application, and not related to fcitx.
IIRC fcitx itself won't refuse to work in no matter what locale.

There's an fcitx mailing list, too, and similar questions are
already on the fcitx wiki.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 AM
adrian sun

Oh. Thanks!
I also check some wikis, I don't know why only firefox and chromium cannot
use fcitx. All other applications works well with fcitx.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Bill Sun

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:36:42AM -0400, adrian sun wrote:
> Oh. Thanks!
> I also check some wikis, I don't know why only firefox and chromium cannot
> use fcitx. All other applications works well with fcitx.

Install 'fcitx-gtk2' and/or 'fcitx-gtk3'.

Cheers.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 AM
adrian sun

Yaaa, thanks i solved this problem. Just specified xim for english locale
under gtk module file.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Bill Sun

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 09:22:41PM -0400, adrian sun wrote:
> Yaaa, thanks i solved this problem. Just specified xim for english locale
> under gtk module file.
Hmm...Maybe you don't have to manually edit /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules,
specifying xim for english locale. You just need to install fcitx-
gtk2/3, AND add the following line to your .xinitrc:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx

It seems that the Archwiki fcitx entry (Simplified Chinese version) is
out-of-date. You could consult the English version.

Cheers.