FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
gt
 
Default qt applications gone black

Hey guys

I am facing a strange issue. All qt applications have become black,
making them impossible to use.

Here's an example showing vlc and avidemux-qt

https://imgur.com/a/PR5vH

Anyone else facing this issue? The closest i found someone with a
similar problem is:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/next-kde-4-8-2-regression-firefox-thunderbird-joined-the-all-blacks-942693/

But the guy is using kde, and i am using dwm + xf86-video-intel
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM
gt
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 03:28:42PM +0700, Diep Pham Van wrote:
> I have same problem before, you must install libgnomeui and change GUI
> style in qtconfig.

I had removed libgnomeui a year back, and everything was working fine in
the meantime.

Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff, gvfs,
udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Paul Gideon Dann
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wednesday 09 May 2012 14:34:27 gt wrote:
> Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff, gvfs,
> udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?

Qt comes with qtconfig. Have you tried that already?

Paul
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
CodeVision
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wed, 9 May 2012 14:34:27 +0530
gt <static.vortex@gmx.com> wrote:

> I had removed libgnomeui a year back, and everything was working fine
> in the meantime.
>
> Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff,
> gvfs, udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?

From your picture and description, the problem you have seems similar to
the problem I had a while ago. If the error message you get when you run
e.g. VLC from the command line is:

QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.

I reckon its the same problem. As far as I know, there's no real
solution for it, just a few workarounds. I solved it by installing
'gconf' [1] which has a lot less dependencies than libgnomeui. If you
are not running gnome, you might also have to run:

gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
your_theme_name

For more information you can look in this forum thread [2], where I
also got this solution from.

Hope it helps.


[1] http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gconf/ or
http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/gconf/
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
gt
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 10:20:13AM +0100, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 May 2012 14:34:27 gt wrote:
> > Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff, gvfs,
> > udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?
>
> Qt comes with qtconfig. Have you tried that already?

Yes, tried it, as mentioned by Diep Pham Van. But, it didn't matter
whatever style i tried.

I also tried downgrading to qt 4.8.0-6, but that too didn't make a
difference.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
gt
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:31:08AM +0200, CodeVision wrote:
> On Wed, 9 May 2012 14:34:27 +0530
> gt <static.vortex@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > I had removed libgnomeui a year back, and everything was working fine
> > in the meantime.
> >
> > Unfortunately libgnomeui fetches a lot of unnecessary gnome stuff,
> > gvfs, udisks2 etc. Isn't there some other solution?
>
> From your picture and description, the problem you have seems similar to
> the problem I had a while ago. If the error message you get when you run
> e.g. VLC from the command line is:
>
> QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
>
> I reckon its the same problem. As far as I know, there's no real
> solution for it, just a few workarounds. I solved it by installing
> 'gconf' [1] which has a lot less dependencies than libgnomeui. If you
> are not running gnome, you might also have to run:
>
> gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
> your_theme_name
>
> For more information you can look in this forum thread [2], where I
> also got this solution from.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
>
> [1] http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gconf/ or
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/gconf/
> [2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685

Nope my problem was different. Thanks for your help, but i finally found
a solution on the forums itself.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=93325

The last post by ecmel solves the problem for me. I had recently
borrowed .Xresources colours from someone on the forums, which were like

*.background:
*.foreground:
...

Changing them to urxvt.background, i.e., removing the wildcard solved
the problem. Who would have thought that .Xresources would be accessed
by qt, but apparently it is.

Thanks to all for the help.
 
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Paul Gideon Dann
 
Default qt applications gone black

On Wednesday 09 May 2012 11:31:08 CodeVision wrote:
> QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
>
> I reckon its the same problem. As far as I know, there's no real
> solution for it, just a few workarounds. I solved it by installing
> 'gconf' [1] which has a lot less dependencies than libgnomeui. If you
> are not running gnome, you might also have to run:
>
> gconftool-2 --set --type string /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme
> your_theme_name

Strange; I wouldn't have thought the problem was the GTK theme. If it is,
though, I've had gtk-chtheme hanging around, which depends only on gtk2.

Paul
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org