Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Christian Hesse

Default drop slim in favor of lightdm

Hello everybody,

slim has some known security weaknesses (for example it has no separate
greeter process thus the graphical interface is running with super user
privileges) and a lot of open bugs. Additionally it does not support latest
packages (consolekit and friends) out of the box.
Though lately the SVN got some commits and a new version has been released
the arch package has not been updated since it was flagged out of date in
February.

I propose to drop slim from [extra] and replace it with lightdm and
lightdm-gtk-greeter. This is a very active project with responsive upstream
developer. Security is a key feature and it integrates with latest desktop
techniques really well. The AUR package for lightdm has 259 votes at the time
of writing.

Any thoughts on that?
--
main(a,b){char*/* Schoene Gruesse */c="B?IJj;M"
"EHCX:;";for(a/* Chris get my mail address: */=0;b=c[a++]

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
John Hutchison

Am 08.05.2012 03:35, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> I propose to drop slim from [extra] and replace it with lightdm and
lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Why not just provide both?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Christian Hesse

John Hutchison <heimdal@athetius.com> on Tue, 2012/05/08 03:53:
> Am 08.05.2012 03:35, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> > I propose to drop slim from [extra] and replace it with lightdm and
> > lightdm-gtk-greeter.
>
> Why not just provide both?

I would be just fine with that.

Though it is not a good idea to ship packages with security flaws in general.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Allan McRae

On 08/05/12 18:35, Christian Hesse wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> slim has some known security weaknesses (for example it has no separate
> greeter process thus the graphical interface is running with super user
> privileges) and a lot of open bugs. Additionally it does not support latest
> packages (consolekit and friends) out of the box.
> Though lately the SVN got some commits and a new version has been released
> the arch package has not been updated since it was flagged out of date in
> February.
>
> I propose to drop slim from [extra] and replace it with lightdm and
> lightdm-gtk-greeter. This is a very active project with responsive upstream
> developer. Security is a key feature and it integrates with latest desktop
> techniques really well. The AUR package for lightdm has 259 votes at the time
> of writing.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=slim

Seems to be a severe lack of bug reports made if there are so many
issues with it...

Allan

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Gour

On Tue, 8 May 2012 10:35:50 +0200
Christian Hesse <list@eworm.de> wrote:

> This is a very active project with responsive upstream developer.
> Security is a key feature and it integrates with latest desktop
> techniques really well. The AUR package for lightdm has 259 votes at
> the time of writing.
>
> Any thoughts on that?

In the past I had a problem with the package not honouring my
localization & keyboard setting.

Has it been resolved now?

That's the reason why we stayed with lxdm.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good
or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it,

Old 05-08-2012, 09:37 AM
"Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana"

Maintaining slim doen't seem a big effort; I'd stay with lightdm *and* slim
in [extra].

Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Christian Hesse

Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> on Tue, 2012/05/08 19:14:
> On 08/05/12 18:35, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > slim has some known security weaknesses (for example it has no separate
> > greeter process thus the graphical interface is running with super user
> > privileges) and a lot of open bugs. Additionally it does not support
> > latest packages (consolekit and friends) out of the box.
> > Though lately the SVN got some commits and a new version has been released
> > the arch package has not been updated since it was flagged out of date in
> > February.
> >
> > I propose to drop slim from [extra] and replace it with lightdm and
> > lightdm-gtk-greeter. This is a very active project with responsive
> > upstream developer. Security is a key feature and it integrates with
> > latest desktop techniques really well. The AUR package for lightdm has
> > 259 votes at the time of writing.
> >
> > Any thoughts on that?
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=slim
>
> Seems to be a severe lack of bug reports made if there are so many
> issues with it...

The upstream bug tracker [0] has a lot more... And for some of them patches
exist [1] but never got included.

However, I would not mind to keep it. But I vote for moving lightdm to
[extra] or [community] as well.

[0] http://developer.berlios.de/bugs/?group_id=2663
[1] http://developer.berlios.de/patch/?group_id=2663

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-05-08 11:37:06 +0200] Alessio 'Blaster' Biancalana:
> Maintaining slim doen't seem a big effort;

Great. Then you can do just that in the AUR.

--
Gaetan

Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
"Stephen E. Baker"

slim has some known security weaknesses (for example it has no separate
greeter process thus the graphical interface is running with super user
privileges) and a lot of open bugs. Additionally it does not support latest
packages (consolekit and friends) out of the box.
Though lately the SVN got some commits and a new version has been released
the arch package has not been updated since it was flagged out of date in
February.
[snip]

https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=slim

Seems to be a severe lack of bug reports made if there are so many
issues with it...
I had lots of issues when I used slim, but replaced it easily lxdm.
slim isn't a default and there are lots of choices available (including
other lightweight ones) so I don't see how adding lightdm and dropping
slim are connected.

Allan

Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Nicholas MIller

On May 8, 2012 7:27 AM, "Stephen E. Baker" <baker.stephen.e@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 08/05/2012 5:14 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> On 08/05/12 18:35, Christian Hesse wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> slim has some known security weaknesses (for example it has no separate
>>> greeter process thus the graphical interface is running with super user
>>> privileges) and a lot of open bugs. Additionally it does not support
latest
>>> packages (consolekit and friends) out of the box.
>>> Though lately the SVN got some commits and a new version has been
released
>>> the arch package has not been updated since it was flagged out of date
in
>>> February.
>>> [snip]
>>

>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=slim
>>
>> Seems to be a severe lack of bug reports made if there are so many
>> issues with it...
>
> I had lots of issues when I used slim, but replaced it easily lxdm. slim
isn't a default and there are lots of choices available (including other
lightweight ones) so I don't see how adding lightdm and dropping slim are
connected.

>> Allan

I use slim on two systems without issue... Other than our package is out of
date