Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Kevin Chadwick

Default Switching back to udisk1

Hi, all

"http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/"

I answered yes to the switch to udisks2 and now the mount point only
shows for a split second in Nautilus. The device still shows but now
I've lost unmount access via sudo too, my scripts clean up on
disconnect so it's not an immediate game stopper but is not right
either. I liked the fact it showed exactly where the device was
mounted even though it's always /media/usb[0-100].

How easy is it to switch back to udisks1 and what problems can people
see for me going forward, if I do?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 04.05.2012 11:46, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
> "http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/"

I just read this post, and it is what you expect from the ignorant guru:
A rant. It is simply general FUD with no concrete examples
or anything remotely substantial. Although he might not be wrong, he is
nothing more than a troll.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> "http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/"

Please don't take this guy seriously. If you read the post that he is
basing his rant on, you'll see that he has completely misunderstood
udisks2 (as he seems to get it confused with the Gnome UI that uses
it).

There might of course still be problems/bugs with udisks2, but
hopefully nothing we can't fix :-)

-t

Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Pham Bao Trung

I just read this post, and it is what you expect from the ignorant guru:
A rant. It is simply general FUD with no concrete examples
or anything remotely substantial. Although he might not be wrong, he is
nothing more than a troll.

I like it that way. Without it, no package signing up to now. No flame
war anyway.

Arch rules

Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:19:27 +0200
Tom Gundersen wrote:

> Please don't take this guy seriously.

Though he's working on something that seems to fix some of the...
oversights shall we say of udisks.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:19:27 +0200
> Tom Gundersen wrote:
>
>> Please don't take this guy seriously.
>
> Though he's working on something that seems to fix some of the...
> oversights shall we say of udisks.

I couldn't find a reference. Do you have a link? As far as I'm aware,
the only real complaint against udisks2 is that they don't supply
commandline tools with a stable API. However, the dbus api is stable,
so it would be trivial for a third party to provide commandline
wrappers aronud the dbus stuff, which could then be considered stable.
Is this what he is doing?

-t

Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
SanskritFritz

>>> another-loss-for-linux/<http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/>
>>> "
>>>

>> I just read this post, and it is what you expect from the ignorant guru:
>> A rant. It is simply general FUD with no concrete examples
>> or anything remotely substantial. Although he might not be wrong, he is
>> nothing more than a troll.
>>

> I like it that way. Without it, no package signing up to now. No flame war
> anyway.
> Arch rules

To the OP: I don't know if you know about the past of package signing and
ignorantguru. The result is a general hatred by many arch devs towards
ignorantguru, so expect heavily biased opinions about his blog.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:43:03 +0200
Tom Gundersen wrote:

> I couldn't find a reference. Do you have a link? As far as I'm aware,
> the only real complaint against udisks2 is that they don't supply
> commandline tools with a stable API. However, the dbus api is stable,
> so it would be trivial for a third party to provide commandline
> wrappers aronud the dbus stuff, which could then be considered stable.
> Is this what he is doing?

Sorry, yeah

"http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/spacefm-udev/"

I sent it straight after realising I'd left it out but it doesn't seem
to have come through yet, ahh wrong from address sorry.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Ionut Biru

On 05/04/2012 12:46 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Hi, all

Hi,

> "http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/"
>
> I answered yes to the switch to udisks2 and now the mount point only
> shows for a split second in Nautilus. The device still shows but now

I'm a bit confused. Where did you answer yes ? I'm just asking because I
did not replaced anything with udisks2.

> I've lost unmount access via sudo too, my scripts clean up on

Here I'm again confused. Nautilus doesn't require sudo to mount or
umount partitions. If you session is authorized in the right way to
consolekit and a polkit agent is present, everything works out of the box.

Note that it might require root password or your user password(if your
username is in wheel group)

> disconnect so it's not an immediate game stopper but is not right
> either. I liked the fact it showed exactly where the device was
> mounted even though it's always /media/usb[0-100].
>
> How easy is it to switch back to udisks1 and what problems can people
> see for me going forward, if I do?

Overall, is a miss-configured system.

--
IonuÈ›

Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Kevin Chadwick

On Fri, 4 May 2012 13:43:03 +0200
Tom Gundersen wrote:

> As far as I'm aware,
> the only real complaint against udisks2 is that they don't supply
> commandline tools with a stable API

The docs are attrocious which doesn't help, even the online ones.

They seem to be using polkit because it adds fine grained control
though this only seems to apply to developers not end users or admins.
Of course they could just tie into an RBAC or selinux. Udisks/polkit
could certainly take some lessons on ease of use from Grsecurities RBAC
with configuration in a single file and that's saying something
considering RBACS biggest draw backs are said to be difficulty of
implementation.

"http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/465745-unmounting-removable-media-mounted-different-user.html"

Anyone know how to permit a certain user to unmount certain mount
points or device files without fstab as my method has been broken and
the expected methods seem to fail.