Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Rodrigo Rivas

Default *-gdb.py files are misplaced

Hello.

I am debugging a C++ program with GDB and I want to use the nice Python
scripts for pretty-printing the STL types. But, alas, it does not work.

This script is installed in "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/libstdc++.
so.6.0.17-gdb.py" to handle the pretty printing of STL types.
But the fact is that GDB does not load it. Doing a quick "strace gdb
./a.out" I find that it looks for the file in:

/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17-gdb.py

Note the "usr/lib/" into the "auto-load" directory. (BTW, the GDB
documentation seem to say that it should read it from yet another
directory.)

Right now I patched it by creating a few symbolic links into the
"auto-load" directory.

I'd like to file a bug report, but I'm new to Arch Linux, so I'm asking for
advice:

Should I file a bug report for each of the packages that install a file in
this directory? Also, I think that some of them may come this way from
upstream, but
Currently, I've detected the following packages that install files there:
glib2, isl and gcc

Or should I file a bug into GDB itself?

Thank you in advance.
--
Rodrigo

Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Allan McRae

On 03/05/12 18:39, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am debugging a C++ program with GDB and I want to use the nice Python
> scripts for pretty-printing the STL types. But, alas, it does not work.
>
> This script is installed in "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/libstdc++.
> so.6.0.17-gdb.py" to handle the pretty printing of STL types.
> But the fact is that GDB does not load it. Doing a quick "strace gdb
> ./a.out" I find that it looks for the file in:
>
> /usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17-gdb.py
>
> Note the "usr/lib/" into the "auto-load" directory. (BTW, the GDB
> documentation seem to say that it should read it from yet another
> directory.)
>
> Right now I patched it by creating a few symbolic links into the
> "auto-load" directory.
>
> I'd like to file a bug report, but I'm new to Arch Linux, so I'm asking for
> advice:
>
> Should I file a bug report for each of the packages that install a file in
> this directory? Also, I think that some of them may come this way from
> upstream, but
> Currently, I've detected the following packages that install files there:
> glib2, isl and gcc
>
> Or should I file a bug into GDB itself?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Please file a single bug report and I will figure out exactly where the
fix should be (gdb or the install location).

I know the isl and gcc files were placed on the basis of the glib2 files...

Thanks,
Allan

Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Rodrigo Rivas

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 03/05/12 18:39, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am debugging a C++ program with GDB and I want to use the nice Python
> > scripts for pretty-printing the STL types. But, alas, it does not work.
> >
> > This script is installed in "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/libstdc++.
> > so.6.0.17-gdb.py" to handle the pretty printing of STL types.
> > But the fact is that GDB does not load it. Doing a quick "strace gdb
> > ./a.out" I find that it looks for the file in:
> >
> > /usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17-gdb.py
> >
> > Note the "usr/lib/" into the "auto-load" directory. (BTW, the GDB
> > documentation seem to say that it should read it from yet another
> > directory.)
> >
> > Right now I patched it by creating a few symbolic links into the
> > "auto-load" directory.
> >
> > I'd like to file a bug report, but I'm new to Arch Linux, so I'm asking
> for
> > advice:
> >
> > Should I file a bug report for each of the packages that install a file
> in
> > this directory? Also, I think that some of them may come this way from
> > upstream, but
> > Currently, I've detected the following packages that install files there:
> > glib2, isl and gcc
> >
> > Or should I file a bug into GDB itself?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
>
> Please file a single bug report and I will figure out exactly where the
> fix should be (gdb or the install location).

Ok, but to what package? gdb?
--
Rodrigo.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
rafael ff1

2012/5/3 Rodrigo Rivas <rodrigorivascosta@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 03/05/12 18:39, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > I am debugging a C++ program with GDB and I want to use the nice Python
>> > scripts for pretty-printing the STL types. But, alas, it does not work.
>> >
>> > This script is installed in "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/libstdc++.
>> > so.6.0.17-gdb.py" *to handle the pretty printing of STL types.
>> > But the fact is that GDB does not load it. Doing a quick "strace gdb
>> > ./a.out" I find that it looks for the file in:
>> >
>> > /usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.17-gdb.py
>> >
>> > Note the "usr/lib/" into the "auto-load" directory. (BTW, the GDB
>> > documentation seem to say that it should read it from yet another
>> > directory.)
>> >
>> > Right now I patched it by creating a few symbolic links into the
>> > "auto-load" directory.
>> >
>> > I'd like to file a bug report, but I'm new to Arch Linux, so I'm asking
>> for
>> > advice:
>> >
>> > Should I file a bug report for each of the packages that install a file
>> in
>> > this directory? Also, I think that some of them may come this way from
>> > upstream, but
>> > Currently, I've detected the following packages that install files there:
>> > glib2, isl and gcc
>> >
>> > Or should I file a bug into GDB itself?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Please file a single bug report and I will figure out exactly where the
>> fix should be (gdb or the install location).
>>

> Ok, but to what package? gdb?
> --
> Rodrigo.

I guess it should be 'gcc'. (run 'pacman -Qo <file>' to find which
package owns <file>)

Rafael

Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Rodrigo Rivas