Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Lorenzo Bandieri

Default Reliable documents (was RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch)

2012/4/30 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk>:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:30:23 +0200
> Gour wrote:
>
>> we did embrace LaTeX/LyX etc.
>
> To get the benefit of your experience. Do you use Lyx as your editor or
> something else.

Sorry if I "jump in", but as a LaTeX user I usually suggest to stay
away from Lyx. Basically it's an editor that attempt to make LaTeX
work like Words, which IMHO it's not the best approach. I suggest to
use an editor that doesn't try to hide how LaTeX works, and one of my
favourite is TexMaker.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Lorenzo

--
"Imagine an idea that occupies your mind the way an army occupies a city."

Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 13:35 +0200, Lorenzo Bandieri wrote:
> 2012/4/30 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk>:
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:30:23 +0200
> > Gour wrote:
> >
> >> we did embrace LaTeX/LyX etc.
> >
> > To get the benefit of your experience. Do you use Lyx as your editor or
> > something else.
>
> Sorry if I "jump in", but as a LaTeX user I usually suggest to stay
> away from Lyx. Basically it's an editor that attempt to make LaTeX
> work like Words, which IMHO it's not the best approach. I suggest to
> use an editor that doesn't try to hide how LaTeX works, and one of my
> favourite is TexMaker.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lorenzo

Keep in mind that blind people can't read nice formated documents on
braille, they anyway need to read the source code .

Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Rashif Ray Rahman

On 30 April 2012 17:35, Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/4/30 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk>:
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:30:23 +0200
> > Gour wrote:
> >
> >> we did embrace LaTeX/LyX etc.
> >
> > To get the benefit of your experience. Do you use Lyx as your editor or
> > something else.
>
> Sorry if I "jump in", but as a LaTeX user I usually suggest to stay
> away from Lyx. Basically it's an editor that attempt to make LaTeX
> work like Words, which IMHO it's not the best approach. I suggest to
> use an editor that doesn't try to hide how LaTeX works, and one of my
> favourite is TexMaker.

There is nothing wrong in using LyX. I don't know why you have that
perception. It helps when your writing is qualitative rather than
quantitative (in which case LaTeX and a more involved process can be
adopted).

It does not work "like Words", because it is very clear that it is _not_
WYSIWYG. It is also not an "editor", which is a term suitable for things
like Kile. It is simply a document processor which is a LaTeX front-end,
but the end-user need not know this.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Lorenzo Bandieri

2012/4/30 Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv@archlinux.org>:
> On 30 April 2012 17:35, Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2012/4/30 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk>:

>> > To get the benefit of your experience. Do you use Lyx as your editor or
>> > something else.
>>
>> Sorry if I "jump in", but as a LaTeX user I usually suggest to stay
>> away from Lyx. Basically it's an editor that attempt to make LaTeX
>> work like Words, which IMHO it's not the best approach. I suggest to
>> use an editor that doesn't try to hide how LaTeX works, and one of my
>> favourite is TexMaker.
>>

> There is nothing wrong in using LyX. I don't know why you have that
> perception.

Probably because I used to edit LaTeX documents in a simple text
editor from the beginning. I learned LaTeX that way, so I feel
comfortable only when I can see and edit the "code". I gave it a
chanche more than once, but everytime I tried to write something in
LyX I felt extremely uneasy and it seemed it was standing in my way.
Also, I don't like the fact that it saves the files in *.lyx. For the
same reasons, I suggest those who want to use LaTeX to start by
writing the code, learning the syntax, etc. Having learned myself that
way, I find it the best way, I guess.

>It helps when your writing is qualitative rather than
> quantitative (in which case LaTeX and a more involved process can be
> adopted).
>
> It does not work "like Words", because it is very clear that it is _not_
> WYSIWYG.

I partially disagree on this. LaTeX is not WYSIWYG, but LyX's
environment IMHO is a pseudo-WYSIWYG frontend.

Howerver, I acknowledge that in certain settings LyX can be useful; I
just like to edit LaTeX source by hand.

Regards

Lorenzo

--
"Imagine an idea that occupies your mind the way an army occupies a city."