Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Leonidas Spyropoulos

Default renice Bash at login

Hi all,

I searched around with no help so if you can help out:

I am trying to renice the user bash on Login. So every time someone
logs through SSH to the server to get a lower priority than normal.
Is that possible? Is it a good idea in general?
A server usually is not to be used from users, only login sporadic to
do updates and various maintenance work

Thanks
Leonidas

--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){printf("%s","x4cx65x6fx6ex69x64x61x73");}

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-04-23 14:02:23 +0100] Leonidas Spyropoulos:
> I am trying to renice the user bash on Login. So every time someone
> logs through SSH to the server to get a lower priority than normal.
> Is that possible? Is it a good idea in general?

Why would you want to do that? As root, you can use nicenesses from -20
to -1 to schedule your tasks with higher priority. Nicenesses from 1 to
20 are for users to decrease their tasks' scheduling priority.

--
Gaetan

Old 04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Leonidas Spyropoulos

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2012-04-23 14:02:23 +0100] Leonidas Spyropoulos:
>> I am trying to renice the user bash on Login. So every time someone
>> logs through SSH to the server to get a lower priority than normal.
>> Is that possible? Is it a good idea in general?
>
> Why would you want to do that? As root, you can use nicenesses from -20
> to -1 to schedule your tasks with higher priority. Nicenesses from 1 to
> 20 are for users to decrease their tasks' scheduling priority.

Well I want to decrease the priority of all users logged into the
system (expect root) at login. So let's say run every bash and every
spawned process that a user run with priority 5.