Old 04-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Vladimir Lomov

Default The proper "home" directories for 'no-login' users

Hello,
please, consider the following output of part of mine /etc/passwd:

$ sudo grep ':/:' /etc/passwd

cron:x:22:22::/:/bin/false
dbus:x:81:81:System message bus:/:/bin/false
hal:x:82:82:HAL daemon:/:/bin/false
avahi:x:84:84:Avahi daemon:/:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false
dnsmasq:x:999:999:dnsmasq daemon:/:/sbin/nologin
usbmux:x:140:140:usbmux user:/:/sbin/nologin

These 'users' are not allowed to login: either '/bin/false' or
'/sbin/nologin' is used as login shell (another question raises: why two
variants? why not just '/bin/false' or '/sbin/nologin'?) but they home
directoriy is '/'. I wonder why '/' was chosen for that? Is it possible to
change home directories for these 'users' to, say, '/dev/null' or
'/nonexistent'?

The origin of my question comes from use of 'davfs': when used by normal
user (being member of 'network' group) 'mount.davfs' refuse mounting to
'/mnt/webdav' because '/' is home directory for some users. I found this
'workaround':
http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/WebDAV
(sec. "Troubleshooting")
so manually changed the home directories for these users to '/dev/null'
(I'm not sure is it save or good way).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
The Great Movie Posters:

She's got the biggest six-shooters in the West!
-- The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend (1949)

CAST OF 3,000!
4 WRITERS,
2 DIRECTORS,
3 CAMERAMEN,
3 PRODUCERS!
1 YEAR TO MAKE THIS FILM --
24 YEARS TO REHEARSE --
20 YEARS TO DISTRIBUTE!
BEAUTIFUL BEYOND WORDS!
AWE-INSPIRING! VITAL!
THE PRINCE OF PEACE PROVIDES THE ANSWER TO EVERY PROBLEM!
Be Brave--bring your troubles and your family to:
HISTORY'S MOST SUBLIME EVENT! YOU'LL FIND GOD RIGHT IN THERE!
-- The Prince of Peace (1948). Starring members of the
Wichita Mountain Pageant featuring Millard Coody as Jesus.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Kevin Chadwick

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:39:46 +0900
Vladimir Lomov wrote:

> (another question raises: why two
> variants? why not just '/bin/false' or '/sbin/nologin'?

Qmail uses true. nologin has some customisable functionality such as
displaying a message. It mainly comes down to the source/maintainer.