Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
gt

Default findutils and locate

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 04:38:01PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> Right my /etc/updatedb.conf is as follows
> # directories to exclude from the slocate database:
> PRUNEPATHS="/media /mnt /tmp /var/tmp /var/cache /var/lock /var/run /var/spool /home/pete/nas /home/pete/Movies /home/pete/Music /home/pete/nas1"
>
> # filesystems to exclude from the slocate database:
> PRUNEFS="afs auto autofs binfmt_misc cifs coda configfs cramfs debugfs
> devpts devtmpfs ftpfs iso9660 mqueue ncpfs nfs nfs4 proc ramfs
> securityfs shfs smbfs sshfs sysfs tmpfs udf usbfs vboxsf"
>
> yet i get zero file finds for any file name that i know is definately
> on the system in a location that IS searchable

Does /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db exist? If it does, then when was the
last time it was accessed?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:13:33 +0530
gt <static.vortex@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 04:38:01PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > Right my /etc/updatedb.conf is as follows
> > # directories to exclude from the slocate database:
> > PRUNEPATHS="/media /mnt /tmp /var/tmp /var/cache /var/lock /var/run /var/spool /home/pete/nas /home/pete/Movies /home/pete/Music /home/pete/nas1"
> >
> > # filesystems to exclude from the slocate database:
> > PRUNEFS="afs auto autofs binfmt_misc cifs coda configfs cramfs
> > debugfs devpts devtmpfs ftpfs iso9660 mqueue ncpfs nfs nfs4 proc
> > ramfs securityfs shfs smbfs sshfs sysfs tmpfs udf usbfs vboxsf"
> >
> > yet i get zero file finds for any file name that i know is
> > definately on the system in a location that IS searchable
>
> Does /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db exist? If it does, then when was the
> last time it was accessed?

Hi ..

Yes it is there ..

-rw-r----- 1 root locate 7868436 Apr 15 13:48 mlocate.db

Doing a strings on the file it contains the expected data but i still
get no files show up when i try locate filename even if the file is
listed in the db and it Actually exists on the drive and is good

Pete

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.3.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 06:46:17 UTC 2012
x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Martti Kühne

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 05:51:36PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> Hi ..
>
> Yes it is there ..
>
> -rw-r----- 1 root locate 7868436 Apr 15 13:48 mlocate.db
>
> Doing a strings on the file it contains the expected data but i still
> get no files show up when i try locate filename even if the file is
> listed in the db and it Actually exists on the drive and is good

is the data up to date after updatedb?

Actually, no it's not.

the header of mlocate.db is tested on configuration changes, described in [1].
Likely, configuration has changed with a recent update, so your problem would
possibly have been fixed right after you looked into "man mlocate.db"

I am just confused to find you never having had this problem before...?

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://linux.die.net/man/5/mlocate.db

Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:49:45 +0200
Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 05:51:36PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > Hi ..
> >
> > Yes it is there ..
> >
> > -rw-r----- 1 root locate 7868436 Apr 15 13:48 mlocate.db
> >
> > Doing a strings on the file it contains the expected data but i
> > still get no files show up when i try locate filename even if the
> > file is listed in the db and it Actually exists on the drive and
> > is good
> >

> is the data up to date after updatedb?
>
> Actually, no it's not.
>
> the header of mlocate.db is tested on configuration changes,
> described in [1]. Likely, configuration has changed with a recent
> update, so your problem would possibly have been fixed right after
> you looked into "man mlocate.db"
>
> I am just confused to find you never having had this problem
> before...?
>
> cheers!
> mar77i
>
> [1] http://linux.die.net/man/5/mlocate.db

Hi .

It has been flakey for a while but now it just does not do anything
i have no reports of errors anywhere just displays nothing

something failing on my guess would be a changed permission somewhere
althou i dont mess around with permissions outside of my user area .

Pete ..

Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Mauro Santos

On 15-04-2012 23:10, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:49:45 +0200
> Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> something failing on my guess would be a changed permission somewhere
> althou i dont mess around with permissions outside of my user area .

Are you using locate as your user? If so, are you on the locate group?

--
Mauro Santos

Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Martti Kühne

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:53:21PM +0100, Mauro Santos wrote:

> Are you using locate as your user? If so, are you on the locate group?

not needed here:
-rwxr-sr-x 1 root locate 39512 Mar 3 06:53 /usr/bin/locate
[martti@arch64-vm ~]$ groups
wheel martti
the s lets locate run with group locate already.

cheers!
mar77i

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:53:21 +0100
Mauro Santos <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15-04-2012 23:10, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:49:45 +0200
> > Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > something failing on my guess would be a changed permission
> > somewhere althou i dont mess around with permissions outside of my
> > user area .
>
> Are you using locate as your user? If so, are you on the locate group?

-rwxr-sr-x 1 root locate 39512 Mar 3 05:53 /usr/bin/locate

it is running with the default as you can see this is getting a bit
strange to say the least think the next is going to be uninstall and
reinstall it see if that helps any incase some dep has not been picked
up automatically , The thing is there are no complaints to be seen

Ho Humm

Pete .

Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
gt

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:22:03AM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> -rwxr-sr-x 1 root locate 39512 Mar 3 05:53 /usr/bin/locate
>
> it is running with the default as you can see this is getting a bit
> strange to say the least think the next is going to be uninstall and
> reinstall it see if that helps any incase some dep has not been picked
> up automatically , The thing is there are no complaints to be seen

Remove the .db along with trying a re-install.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:13:41 +0530
gt <static.vortex@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:22:03AM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > -rwxr-sr-x 1 root locate 39512 Mar 3 05:53 /usr/bin/locate
> >
> > it is running with the default as you can see this is getting a bit
> > strange to say the least think the next is going to be uninstall
> > and reinstall it see if that helps any incase some dep has not been
> > picked up automatically , The thing is there are no complaints to
> > be seen
>
> Remove the .db along with trying a re-install.

Yep will do be doing that tonight so maybe know later

Pete .