Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Allan McRae

Default findutils and locate

On 15/04/12 21:24, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:09:11PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> It was not trolling but serious advise. If you can not do basic
>> research, Arch is not the distribution for you.
>

> Thanks for pointing it out another superfluous time.
> Don't you know pete by now? Obviously that's how he works, and afaict we've
> been working hard in the past to get him improve this to good measure.
>
> so, let's just solve problems and not get caught up with accusitions of
> lazyness, since, ultimately, these are lazy as well.

No... I think I will continue to tell him to do some basic research or
switch distros. One day it might get through.

Allan

Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:00:19 +0200
Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:33:58PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> > On 15/04/12 18:15, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > > How can i return full function to the findutils and locate , It
> > > was the best utility for the job and now has been eroded by the
> > > supposed replacements that are a complete failure .
> > >
> > > I want my old locate command back and working as it always used to
> > > never failed to find what i wanted
> > >

> the fuck, mlocate works fine here, it installs in /usr/bin/locate and
> /usr/bin/updatedb, which both run fine.
> same with findutils.
>
> actually you're not even posting error output or factual support like
> from -Ql, repo changes or anything else helpful. shame on you.
>

> > The only way is to switch distros. Arch is obviously not for you.
> >

> Seriously quit the ...trolling, both of you. The way you are failing
> at complicating things here hurts my intellect. This list isn't 4chan.
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

DID i swear no i dont expect reply's to either thanks muchly

you come on the list ask a polite question you get bad mouthed and told
to switch distros .

Right mlocate is installed updatedb takes no time it is instant it
fails to read a thing .. it attempts to reads the NAS drive that i do
NOT want read thats it nothing else

now can we have some sensible replies please ..

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.3.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 06:46:17 UTC 2012
x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 21:43:44 +1000
Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 15/04/12 21:24, Martti Kühne wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:09:11PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> >>
> >> It was not trolling but serious advise. If you can not do basic
> >> research, Arch is not the distribution for you.
> >

> > Thanks for pointing it out another superfluous time.
> > Don't you know pete by now? Obviously that's how he works, and
> > afaict we've been working hard in the past to get him improve this
> > to good measure.
> >
> > so, let's just solve problems and not get caught up with
> > accusitions of lazyness, since, ultimately, these are lazy as well.
> >

> No... I think I will continue to tell him to do some basic research
> or switch distros. One day it might get through.
>
> Allan

You sir are obnoxious and offensive i asked a polite question that you
seem to think is otherwise do not darken my desktop again please

Pete .

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Allan McRae

On 15/04/12 22:49, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:00:19 +0200
> Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:

>> the fuck, mlocate works fine here, it installs in /usr/bin/locate and
>> /usr/bin/updatedb, which both run fine.
>> same with findutils.
>>
>> actually you're not even posting error output or factual support like
>> from -Ql, repo changes or anything else helpful. shame on you.
>>

>>> The only way is to switch distros. Arch is obviously not for you.
>>>

>> Seriously quit the ...trolling, both of you. The way you are failing
>> at complicating things here hurts my intellect. This list isn't 4chan.
>>
>> cheers!
>> mar77i
>
> DID i swear no i dont expect reply's to either thanks muchly
>
> you come on the list ask a polite question you get bad mouthed and told
> to switch distros .
>
> Right mlocate is installed updatedb takes no time it is instant it
> fails to read a thing .. it attempts to reads the NAS drive that i do
> NOT want read thats it nothing else
>
> now can we have some sensible replies please ..

Once again, a failure at basic research...

Adjust the configuration file.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Martti Kühne

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:49:41PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:

> Right mlocate is installed updatedb takes no time it is instant it
> fails to read a thing .. it attempts to reads the NAS drive that i do
> NOT want read thats it nothing else
>
> now can we have some sensible replies please ..
>
> Pete .

try to ignore the bad vibes here and beat someone up IRL, it's more satisfying.

man updatedb.conf mentions PRUNEPATH. did you set that in /etc/updatedb.conf?
can you paste your config, while we're at it?

cheers!
mar77i

Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM
"P .NIKOLIC"

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 15:41:55 +0200
Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 01:49:41PM +0100, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> >
> > Right mlocate is installed updatedb takes no time it is instant it
> > fails to read a thing .. it attempts to reads the NAS drive that
> > i do NOT want read thats it nothing else
> >
> > now can we have some sensible replies please ..
> >
> > Pete .
>

> try to ignore the bad vibes here and beat someone up IRL, it's more
> satisfying.
>
> man updatedb.conf mentions PRUNEPATH. did you set that
> in /etc/updatedb.conf? can you paste your config, while we're at it?
>
> cheers!
> mar77i

Hi ..

Yes some people i would really like to meet face to face but still ..

Right my /etc/updatedb.conf is as follows
# directories to exclude from the slocate database:
PRUNEPATHS="/media /mnt /tmp /var/tmp /var/cache /var/lock /var/run /var/spool /home/pete/nas /home/pete/Movies /home/pete/Music /home/pete/nas1"

# filesystems to exclude from the slocate database:
PRUNEFS="afs auto autofs binfmt_misc cifs coda configfs cramfs debugfs
devpts devtmpfs ftpfs iso9660 mqueue ncpfs nfs nfs4 proc ramfs
securityfs shfs smbfs sshfs sysfs tmpfs udf usbfs vboxsf"

yet i get zero file finds for any file name that i know is definately
on the system in a location that IS searchable

Thanks Pete