Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Allan McRae

Default findutils and locate

On 15/04/12 18:15, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> Hi .
>
> How can i return full function to the findutils and locate , It was
> the best utility for the job and now has been eroded by the supposed
> replacements that are a complete failure .
>
> I want my old locate command back and working as it always used to
> never failed to find what i wanted
>
> Oh and it did not clobber the system whilst building it's database
> either

The only way is to switch distros. Arch is obviously not for you.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Martti Kühne

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:33:58PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 15/04/12 18:15, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
> > How can i return full function to the findutils and locate , It was
> > the best utility for the job and now has been eroded by the supposed
> > replacements that are a complete failure .
> >
> > I want my old locate command back and working as it always used to
> > never failed to find what i wanted

the fuck, mlocate works fine here, it installs in /usr/bin/locate and
/usr/bin/updatedb, which both run fine.
same with findutils.

actually you're not even posting error output or factual support like from
-Ql, repo changes or anything else helpful. shame on you.

> The only way is to switch distros. Arch is obviously not for you.

Seriously quit the ...trolling, both of you. The way you are failing at
complicating things here hurts my intellect. This list isn't 4chan.

cheers!
mar77i

Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Allan McRae

On 15/04/12 21:00, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 06:33:58PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 15/04/12 18:15, P .NIKOLIC wrote:
>>> How can i return full function to the findutils and locate , It was
>>> the best utility for the job and now has been eroded by the supposed
>>> replacements that are a complete failure .
>>>
>>> I want my old locate command back and working as it always used to
>>> never failed to find what i wanted
>>>

> the fuck, mlocate works fine here, it installs in /usr/bin/locate and
> /usr/bin/updatedb, which both run fine.
> same with findutils.
>
> actually you're not even posting error output or factual support like from
> -Ql, repo changes or anything else helpful. shame on you.
>

>> The only way is to switch distros. Arch is obviously not for you.
>>

> Seriously quit the ...trolling, both of you. The way you are failing at
> complicating things here hurts my intellect. This list isn't 4chan.

It was not trolling but serious advise. If you can not do basic
research, Arch is not the distribution for you.

Allan

Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Martti Kühne

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 09:09:11PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:

> It was not trolling but serious advise. If you can not do basic
> research, Arch is not the distribution for you.
>
> Allan

Thanks for pointing it out another superfluous time.
Don't you know pete by now? Obviously that's how he works, and afaict we've
been working hard in the past to get him improve this to good measure.

so, let's just solve problems and not get caught up with accusitions of
lazyness, since, ultimately, these are lazy as well.

cheers!
mar77i