Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Jordan Windsor

Default Possible hard drive failure, DMA errors.

Hello,
I was downloading 3 movies via sabnzbd (~5GB each), after awhile I
noticed the system wasn't responding as much, RhythmBox wasn't playing
anymore, sabnzbd wasn't making progress and my broswer also was
slowing down a bit.
I then decided to restart thinking it would solve what ever problems
sabnzbd brought along, when I did that it didn't reboot it just logged
me out, I couldn't log back in, it would accept my password and
username but after that nothing would happen, I then hard powered it
off, on start-up it wouldn't get past the "mounting local filesystems"
part of the boot process, it would just print DMA errors and more.
I'm running PassMark's DiskCheckup on both my disks, on the first the
quick self check completes quickly without error, but the second drive
doesn't get past 10% (starts on 10%) and shows "The last self-test
routine completed with a failure of the read element."
I was wondering is my disk 100% gone? or is the some chance of getting
my RAID0 data off? although 90% is easily replaceable (movies).
Thanks. (I'll reply later with the details of the error messages
displayed during boot.)

Old 02-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Mauro Santos

On 11-02-2012 21:08, Jordan Windsor wrote:
> Hello,
> I was downloading 3 movies via sabnzbd (~5GB each), after awhile I
> noticed the system wasn't responding as much, RhythmBox wasn't playing
> anymore, sabnzbd wasn't making progress and my broswer also was
> slowing down a bit.
> I then decided to restart thinking it would solve what ever problems
> sabnzbd brought along, when I did that it didn't reboot it just logged
> me out, I couldn't log back in, it would accept my password and
> username but after that nothing would happen, I then hard powered it
> off, on start-up it wouldn't get past the "mounting local filesystems"
> part of the boot process, it would just print DMA errors and more.
> I'm running PassMark's DiskCheckup on both my disks, on the first the
> quick self check completes quickly without error, but the second drive
> doesn't get past 10% (starts on 10%) and shows "The last self-test
> routine completed with a failure of the read element."
> I was wondering is my disk 100% gone? or is the some chance of getting
> my RAID0 data off? although 90% is easily replaceable (movies).
> Thanks. (I'll reply later with the details of the error messages
> displayed during boot.)

Check the connections/cables, if the connections/cables are ok and you
have a failing disk then I'd say you should consider you data as lost
since it is on a raid0 array.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Jordan Windsor

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Mauro Santos
<registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11-02-2012 21:08, Jordan Windsor wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I was downloading 3 movies via sabnzbd (~5GB each), after awhile I
>> noticed the system wasn't responding as much, RhythmBox wasn't playing
>> anymore, sabnzbd wasn't making progress and my broswer also was
>> slowing down a bit.
>> I then decided to restart thinking it would solve what ever problems
>> sabnzbd brought along, when I did that it didn't reboot it just logged
>> me out, I couldn't log back in, it would accept my password and
>> username but after that nothing would happen, I then hard powered it
>> off, on start-up it wouldn't get past the "mounting local filesystems"
>> part of the boot process, it would just print DMA errors and more.
>> I'm running PassMark's DiskCheckup on both my disks, on the first the
>> quick self check completes quickly without error, but the second drive
>> doesn't get past 10% (starts on 10%) and shows "The last self-test
>> routine completed with a failure of the read element."
>> I was wondering is my disk 100% gone? or is the some chance of getting
>> my RAID0 data off? although 90% is easily replaceable (movies).
>> Thanks. (I'll reply later with the details of the error messages
>> displayed during boot.)
>>

> Check the connections/cables, if the connections/cables are ok and you
> have a failing disk then I'd say you should consider you data as lost
> since it is on a raid0 array.
>
> --
> Mauro Santos

Thanks, here's the error message displayed during boot and during
system run (not line wrapped correctly):

ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
BMDMA tsat 0x24
failed command: READ DMA EXT
cmd 25/00:08:e8:83:0a/00:00:28:00:00/e0
tag 0 dma 4096 in res 51/40:00:18:8d:0c/40:00:28:00:00/e0 Emsk 0x9 (media error)
error: {UNC} Configured for UDMA1133
GH Complete

I'll reboot now and check the cables, Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Jordan Windsor

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Jordan Windsor <jordanw2@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Mauro Santos
> <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11-02-2012 21:08, Jordan Windsor wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I was downloading 3 movies via sabnzbd (~5GB each), after awhile I
>>> noticed the system wasn't responding as much, RhythmBox wasn't playing
>>> anymore, sabnzbd wasn't making progress and my broswer also was
>>> slowing down a bit.
>>> I then decided to restart thinking it would solve what ever problems
>>> sabnzbd brought along, when I did that it didn't reboot it just logged
>>> me out, I couldn't log back in, it would accept my password and
>>> username but after that nothing would happen, I then hard powered it
>>> off, on start-up it wouldn't get past the "mounting local filesystems"
>>> part of the boot process, it would just print DMA errors and more.
>>> I'm running PassMark's DiskCheckup on both my disks, on the first the
>>> quick self check completes quickly without error, but the second drive
>>> doesn't get past 10% (starts on 10%) and shows "The last self-test
>>> routine completed with a failure of the read element."
>>> I was wondering is my disk 100% gone? or is the some chance of getting
>>> my RAID0 data off? although 90% is easily replaceable (movies).
>>> Thanks. (I'll reply later with the details of the error messages
>>> displayed during boot.)
>>>

>> Check the connections/cables, if the connections/cables are ok and you
>> have a failing disk then I'd say you should consider you data as lost
>> since it is on a raid0 array.
>>
>> --
>> Mauro Santos
>
> Thanks, here's the error message displayed during boot and during
> system run (not line wrapped correctly):
>
> ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
> BMDMA tsat 0x24
> failed command: READ DMA EXT
> cmd 25/00:08:e8:83:0a/00:00:28:00:00/e0
> tag 0 dma 4096 in res 51/40:00:18:8d:0c/40:00:28:00:00/e0 Emsk 0x9 (media error)
> error: {UNC} Configured for UDMA1133
> GH Complete
>
> I'll reboot now and check the cables, Thanks.

I checked the cables many times, including the SATA ports used, the
hard drive wouldn't work in any configuration.
Thanks. (Solution found, get a new hard drive )

Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 AM
P Nikolic

On Sunday 12 Feb 2012 17:38:12 Jordan Windsor wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Jordan Windsor <jordanw2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Mauro Santos

Snippage

> I checked the cables many times, including the SATA ports used, the
> hard drive wouldn't work in any configuration.
> Thanks. (Solution found, get a new hard drive )

Hi

Just a quick word from someone that has been through hel and back with SATA
drives get yourself some of the data cable that have a clip to hold them in
place and even then use a blob of hot melt glue on each connector to stop it
moving i have has 2 drives fried by cheap data cables moving around in the
connector .

It has got the be the worst design for a data connection i have ever seen
there was some crap around but the SATA ones take the untimat prize as the
biggest junk ever designed

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.2.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 7 08:34:36 CET 2012 x86_64
AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux