FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Ionut Biru
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 02/11/2012 09:26 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I am not part of the libav team, but I know many developers and I
> followed the story
> of the fork.
> I then also noticed that my beloved arch is still using ffmpeg and libav
> is not even in
> the official repository (but only in AUR).
>
> Is there a reason for that?
>
because nothing in our repositories requires libav

> There are quite a few good reasons to switch over and many already did:
> - debian unstable
> (http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2011-December/023070.html)
>

the inclusion in debian is questionable and I don't want to open the
pandora box and start a long and boring discussion about this.

see my point 1).


> - vlc
> (http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2011-August/081317.html)
> - gstreamer (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26497)
>
> (And I'm quite sure also gentoo and Ubuntu but I don't find a link).
>


--
Ionuț
 
Old 02-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Andrea Crotti
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 02/11/2012 07:30 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:

On 02/11/2012 09:26 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

I am not part of the libav team, but I know many developers and I
followed the story
of the fork.
I then also noticed that my beloved arch is still using ffmpeg and libav
is not even in
the official repository (but only in AUR).

Is there a reason for that?


because nothing in our repositories requires libav


Everything requiring ffmpeg might require libav instead, which is quite
a lot of stuff.





There are quite a few good reasons to switch over and many already did:
- debian unstable
(http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2011-December/023070.html)


the inclusion in debian is questionable and I don't want to open the
pandora box and start a long and boring discussion about this.

see my point 1).


Which was?

I've seen a couple of threads on the forum and it's quite shocking how
much FUD and
wrong information there is in there, doesn't it make you think the fact
that also gstreamer

and VLC are using libav?
 
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Matthew Monaco
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 02/11/2012 12:55 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

On 02/11/2012 07:30 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:

On 02/11/2012 09:26 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

I am not part of the libav team, but I know many developers and I
followed the story
of the fork.
I then also noticed that my beloved arch is still using ffmpeg and libav
is not even in
the official repository (but only in AUR).

Is there a reason for that?


because nothing in our repositories requires libav


Everything requiring ffmpeg might require libav instead, which is quite a lot of
stuff.




There are quite a few good reasons to switch over and many already did:
- debian unstable
(http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2011-December/023070.html)



the inclusion in debian is questionable and I don't want to open the
pandora box and start a long and boring discussion about this.

see my point 1).


Which was?

I've seen a couple of threads on the forum and it's quite shocking how much FUD and
wrong information there is in there, doesn't it make you think the fact that
also gstreamer
and VLC are using libav?


What are mplayer and mplayer2 using? I was trying to figure this out recently.
 
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Jesse Jaara
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

Dunno about mplater but mplayer2 uses lubav, but is conpitable with ffmpeg
after config script patch (version missmach)
 
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Andrea Crotti
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 02/12/2012 12:20 AM, Jesse Jaara wrote:

Dunno about mplater but mplayer2 uses lubav, but is conpitable with ffmpeg
after config script patch (version missmach)


Yes exactly, I don't know many details myself but what I'm sure about
is that almost all the core developers switched to libav, and that's the
most

important thing.

FFmpeg is still merging things more or less from everywhere without
any real control of the sources, and that's why it looks it's still
evolving, while

on the other side things are done properly as they've always been.
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Lukáš Jirkovský
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 12 February 2012 15:45, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:20 AM, Jesse Jaara wrote:
>>
>> Dunno about mplater but mplayer2 uses lubav, but is conpitable with ffmpeg
>> after config script patch (version missmach)
>
>
> Yes exactly, I don't know many details myself but what I'm sure about
> is that almost all the core developers switched to libav, and that's the
> most
> important thing.
>
> FFmpeg is still merging things more or less from everywhere without
> any real control of the sources, and that's why it looks it's still
> evolving, while
> on the other side things are done properly as they've always been.

I have the same impression. Most of the development seems to take
place in the libav project. If you look at the log of the ffmpeg and
libav log most of the changes arrive first in the libav and then they
are merged to ffmpeg.

The ffmpeg maintainer also seems to merge random crap (maybe some
development trees, I don't really know) without any real review - not
so long ago I saw really big merge commit in ffmpeg which broke ABI
without even mentioning it (and bumping the soname).

Lukas
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Jason Steadman
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

What is this? Everything is working fine as it is, ffmpeg isn't deprecated
and is under active development, why upset the apple cart? Please stop
"campaigning", I'm really not interested.

--
Jason Steadman
 
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Jason Steadman <mail@meyithi.com> wrote:
> Please stop
> "campaigning", I'm really not interested.

Please mute this thread.


@all
wonder is the ffmpeg maintainer so maybe he knows something we don't.
On the other hand, maintainers often settle for the "evil they know".
It's still up to him to decide, but 'ffmpeg and libav' sounds like a
legitimate issue to be raised.
 
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Alexander van den Berghe
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

On 02/12/2012 05:47 PM, Jason Steadman wrote:

What is this? Everything is working fine as it is, ffmpeg isn't deprecated
and is under active development, why upset the apple cart? Please stop
"campaigning", I'm really not interested.
That it works fine for the moment does not mean it is the best choice
for the future. I am not familiar with this particular case but judging
on the previous messages 'active development' may be an overstatement
for ffmpeg. Considering the current situation (again based on previous
messages) this discussion is perfectly valid and can hardly be called
campaigning.
I wonder why you even took the time to reply if you are really not
interested.


Alex
 
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Gaetan Bisson
 
Default ffmpeg and libav

[2012-02-12 18:03:31 +0100] Alexander van den Berghe:
> I am not familiar with this particular case
> but judging on the previous messages 'active development' may be an
> overstatement for ffmpeg. Considering the current situation (again
> based on previous messages) this discussion is perfectly valid and
> can hardly be called campaigning.

Awesome. So this discussion is self-sustaining: nobody knows much
(everybody says so themselves in their own messages) but nevertheless
draws conclusions from hearsay and previous messages. How long do you
expect to go on like this without an actual piece of information?

> I wonder why you even took the time to reply if you are really not
> interested.

Because this is a mailing list: pointless emails end up in everybody's
inbox and dilute the flow of interesting ones.

--
Gaetan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:10 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org