Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
P Nikolic

Default DPMS

Morning folk

Back to this one again i need to find a working position for "xset -dpms" i
am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn screens
turning off i hate that with vengance if i wqnt them off i turn them off simples

So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time

Thanks

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.2.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 7 08:34:36 CET 2012 x86_64
AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Christoph Vigano

On 02/09/2012 10:37 AM, P Nikolic wrote:
> Morning folk
>

> Back to this one again i need to find a working position for "xset -dpms" i
> am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn screens
> turning off i hate that with vengance if i wqnt them off i turn them off simples
>
> So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete .

Hi Pete,

you could always put settings like these into your $HOME/.xinitrc,
that's where I have stored those settings.

--
Christoph
AUR, IRC: kritztopf

Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
P Nikolic

On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 10:54:15 Christoph Vigano wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 10:37 AM, P Nikolic wrote:
> > Morning folk
> >

> > Back to this one again i need to find a working position for "xset
> > -dpms" i am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn
> > screens turning off i hate that with vengance if i wqnt them off i turn
> > them off simples
> >
> > So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Pete .
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> you could always put settings like these into your $HOME/.xinitrc,
> that's where I have stored those settings.
>
> --
> Christoph
> AUR, IRC: kritztopf
> BBS, Github: kritter

Hi Christoph

I have tried in there it just gets ignored i know in the suse world i used to
put it there but cant get it to behave on Arch which is a pity because Arch
is far better in almost every other way ..

Pete .

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
gt

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:59:44AM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 10:54:15 Christoph Vigano wrote:
> > On 02/09/2012 10:37 AM, P Nikolic wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time
> >
> > you could always put settings like these into your $HOME/.xinitrc,
> > that's where I have stored those settings.
>
> Hi Christoph
>
> I have tried in there it just gets ignored i know in the suse world i used to
> put it there but cant get it to behave on Arch which is a pity because Arch
> is far better in almost every other way ..

How do you login? i.e., which login manager do you use?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM
P Nikolic

On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 16:11:05 gt wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 09:59:44AM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:

> > > you could always put settings like these into your $HOME/.xinitrc,
> > > that's where I have stored those settings.
> >
> > Hi Christoph
> >
> > I have tried in there it just gets ignored i know in the suse world i used
> > to put it there but cant get it to behave on Arch which is a pity
> > because Arch is far better in almost every other way ..
>
> How do you login? i.e., which login manager do you use?

i use KDM

Pete .

Old 02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Lennart Andersen

* P Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> [2012-02-09 09:37+0000]
> Morning folk
>

> Back to this one again i need to find a working position for "xset -dpms" i
> am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn screens
> turning off i hate that with vengance if i wqnt them off i turn them off simples
>
> So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete .
>
> --
> Linux 7-of-9 3.2.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 7 08:34:36 CET 2012 x86_64
> AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Hi Pete,

I think you could use the .xinitrc for this....

.xinitrc
xset s off
xset -dpms

Lennart

Old 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Lennart Andersen

* P Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> [2012-02-09 09:37+0000]
> Morning folk
>

> Back to this one again i need to find a working position for "xset -dpms" i
> am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn screens
> turning off i hate that with vengance if i wqnt them off i turn them off simples
>
> So where can i put the xset command for it to work correctly every time
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete .
>
> --
> Linux 7-of-9 3.2.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 7 08:34:36 CET 2012 x86_64
> AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

I did not see the other email....

If the .xinitrc does not work.....try the rc.local.

Len

Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Sander Jansen

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:37 AM, P Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Morning folk
>

> Back to this one again * i need to find a working position for *"xset -dpms" *i
> am getting sick and tired of every time i reboot i get the darn screens
> turning off i hate that with vengance *if i wqnt them off i turn them off simples
>
> So where can i put *the xset command for it to work correctly every time

You can set defaults in xorg.conf. See man xorg.conf

Sander

Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
gt

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:13:57PM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 16:11:05 gt wrote:
> > How do you login? i.e., which login manager do you use?
> i use KDM

I don't think that kdm uses xinitrc by default. You'll have to make it
use xinitrc. It supports xsession i think. Maybe try symlinking
~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM
P Nikolic

On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 20:19:06 gt wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 02:13:57PM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 Feb 2012 16:11:05 gt wrote:
> > > How do you login? i.e., which login manager do you use?
> >
> > i use KDM
>
> I don't think that kdm uses xinitrc by default. You'll have to make it
> use xinitrc. It supports xsession i think. Maybe try symlinking
> ~/.xsession to ~/.xinitrc.

Humm well that dont work either .

think the easiest way is going to be get rid of KDM and use startkde or
something having looked at kdmrc i dont think i can stick it in there this
is becoming a spoiler ..

Pete .