Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Chuck Remes

Default help building aoe block driver against kernel 3.2.4

Like the subject says, I need a hand building the latest aoe block driver (available here [1]). The built-in aoe driver is back at version 47... there have been *many* improvements, particularly for performance, that I need in the later driver releases.

I had great success building the driver against kernel26 for the past 3 years. This is my first try with the 3.x kernel series.

In the gist below, I attached 3 sets of detail. The 'install_readme.txt' is a set of instructions I wrote up on how to prepare the kernel sources so that the driver could be built against it. These are the instructions (slightly updated to use the 'linux' package name versus the old 'kernel26' package) that I have successfully used for the last several years to keep the driver up to date as new kernels rolled out.

The 'stdout.txt' section of the gist contains the output of my terminal session from when I do the driver build. It throws some errors out and points to a few lines in a specific file (aoeblk.c) as being incorrect. I have compared that code to other drivers and it looks correct to me.

Lastly, I included a copy of the aoeblk.c file that contains these supposed errors (to save any helpful soul who wants to see the source without downloading the tarball [1] linked to earlier).

https://gist.github.com/1713964

I also took another approach where I copied the updated driver sources directly into the kernel source tree and rebuilt the package. However, it throws the same error.

I cannot get support from the vendor (Coraid) because they only officially support the 2.6 kernel series even with a paid plan.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions?

[1] http://support.coraid.com/support/linux/aoe6-78.tar.gz

Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Chuck Remes

On Feb 7, 2012, at 12:33 PM, Chuck Remes wrote:

> Like the subject says, I need a hand building the latest aoe block driver (available here [1]). The built-in aoe driver is back at version 47... there have been *many* improvements, particularly for performance, that I need in the later driver releases.
>
> I had great success building the driver against kernel26 for the past 3 years. This is my first try with the 3.x kernel series.
>
> In the gist below, I attached 3 sets of detail. The 'install_readme.txt' is a set of instructions I wrote up on how to prepare the kernel sources so that the driver could be built against it. These are the instructions (slightly updated to use the 'linux' package name versus the old 'kernel26' package) that I have successfully used for the last several years to keep the driver up to date as new kernels rolled out.
>
> The 'stdout.txt' section of the gist contains the output of my terminal session from when I do the driver build. It throws some errors out and points to a few lines in a specific file (aoeblk.c) as being incorrect. I have compared that code to other drivers and it looks correct to me.
>
> Lastly, I included a copy of the aoeblk.c file that contains these supposed errors (to save any helpful soul who wants to see the source without downloading the tarball [1] linked to earlier).
>
> https://gist.github.com/1713964
>

> I also took another approach where I copied the updated driver sources directly into the kernel source tree and rebuilt the package. However, it throws the same error.
>
> I cannot get support from the vendor (Coraid) because they only officially support the 2.6 kernel series even with a paid plan.
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions?
>

> [1] http://support.coraid.com/support/linux/aoe6-78.tar.gz

I needed to add another include to aoeblk.c (and another C file when I got a similar error).

#include <linux/module.h>

Apparently that is a new requirement as of the 3.x kernel series? Anyway, looks like it is compiling correctly now. Hopefully it works after I install it!

cr

Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanasis Georgiou

On 7 February 2012 20:50, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist@mac.com> wrote:
> I needed to add another include to aoeblk.c (and another C file when I got a similar error).
>
> #include <linux/module.h>
>
> Apparently that is a new requirement as of the 3.x kernel series? Anyway, looks like it is compiling correctly now. Hopefully it works after I install it!
>
> cr

I don't know but I had to do that for a TV tuner driver originally
meant for 2.6.something (among with other tweaks). So it might be a
new requirement.

--
Thanasis Georgiou