Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Alfredo Palhares

Default What hapenned to netcfg ?

Hello,

I was just talking about this on #archlinux-offtopic.

No one is acepting patches[1] to the netcfg[2] project.
I aplied as mainteiner when help was asked[3] (as masterkorp) . No replies.
Can i apply again ? Is anyone taking care of it?

I have a a local repo with the patches and bugfixes applied.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=netcfg&project=1&search_name=&typ e%5B%5D=&sev%5B%5D=&pri%5B%5D=&due%5B%5D=&reported %5B%5D=&cat%5B%5D=&status%5B%5D=open&percent%5B%5D =&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&cha ngedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedf rom=&closedto=&do=index
[2] https://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/
[3] http://www.archlinux.org/news/contributors-wanted/

--
With the best regards,
Alfredo Palhares

Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 07.02.2012 10:56, schrieb Alfredo Palhares:

> Hello,
>
> I was just talking about this on #archlinux-offtopic.
>
> No one is acepting patches[1] to the netcfg[2] project.
> I aplied as mainteiner when help was asked[3] (as masterkorp) . No replies.
> Can i apply again ? Is anyone taking care of it?

One problem with the maintainer application was that nobody took care of
it, so it was forgotten. The bigger problem was that many people
replied, but none of them had actually contributed any patches to netcfg
in the past (or if they did, I couldn't find those patches). How are you
supposed to choose a maintainer when you don't know how familiar anyone
is with the project?

If you are serious about maintaining netcfg (and this is not just
directed at you, but anyone), then do the following:

0) Join [arch-projects].
1) Collect pending netcfg patches into a git tree (you can find them in
the [arch-projects] archives, in various working trees, whatever).
2) Write some improvements yourself, so we see what kind of plans you
have for netcfg. Put them in your git tree.
3) Publish the git tree on [arch-projects] for review.

If you get all that done, your own code is good and you can keep writing
code yourself, then consider yourself the new netcfg maintainer (again,
anyone else can do this as well).

Have fun and we hope to hear from you on [arch-projects].

Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:56:44 +0100
Alfredo Palhares <masterkorp@masterkorp.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was just talking about this on #archlinux-offtopic.
>
> No one is acepting patches[1] to the netcfg[2] project.
> I aplied as mainteiner when help was asked[3] (as masterkorp) . No replies.
> Can i apply again ? Is anyone taking care of it?
>
> I have a a local repo with the patches and bugfixes applied.
>
> [1]
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?string=netcfg&project=1&search_name=&typ e%5B%5D=&sev%5B%5D=&pri%5B%5D=&due%5B%5D=&reported %5B%5D=&cat%5B%5D=&status%5B%5D=open&percent%5B%5D =&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&cha ngedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedf rom=&closedto=&do=index
> [2] https://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/ [3]
> http://www.archlinux.org/news/contributors-wanted/
>

> --
> With the best regards,
> Alfredo Palhares

In the bug reports [1] I didn't see many patches... Have you tried contacting
the existing maintainer directly?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 07.02.2012 18:40, schrieb Leonid Isaev:
> In the bug reports [1] I didn't see many patches... Have you tried contacting
> the existing maintainer directly?

There is no maintainer.