Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
C Anthony Risinger

Default Any recoomendations for Wi-Fi USB sticks? Was: Wi-Fi rtl8192s

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Is there any stick here [1] that can be recommended?
> [1]
> http://www.reichelt.de/WLAN-Adapter/0/30/index.html?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=770;SID=13TzAwOH 8AAAIAAF@6hfge3fbb785f260124355b56475abd124ec
> Perhaps one of the 300Mbit/s once?
>
> It's my semiconductor dealer, so I'll order an USB stick there, because
> I already have to order some other electronic stuff.

the TP-LINK ones have an atheros chipset that works well with
ath9k_htc driver, and can be used as an accesspoint.

that page shows the 727 version, i have the 722 with an external
antenna [1], which i recently replaced by the 822 [2] since it's
300Mbit, and because i can place it better (accesspoint). both work
very well. i believe some of the units on that page also use atheros
chips -- any of the atheros N chips *should* work well -- look here:

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Special:BrowseData/Wireless_adapter

the 722 uses an AR9271, the 822 uses AR7010 [USB] + AR9287 [WiFi].
many other brands use the same underlying chipset ... ultimately you
have to figure out what's inside before you buy.

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045
[2] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704053

--

C Anthony