Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
P Nikolic

Default ntp settings

Hi .

I am trying to set the timezone up correctly and setup ntp to run .

I have tried using System Settings in KDE but for some reason it does not
accept the password . If i enter the password (root password) it reply's
failed to Authenticate and greys everyting out for a few seconds i have
sudo installed as that was suggeted as the problem on the previous install
that crashed and burned what else is missing ntp is installed as well ..

Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.2.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 26 08:40:20 CET 2012 x86_64
AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 18:37 +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> Hi .
>
> I am trying to set the timezone up correctly and setup ntp to run .
>
> I have tried using System Settings in KDE but for some reason it does not
> accept the password . If i enter the password (root password) it reply's
> failed to Authenticate and greys everyting out for a few seconds i have
> sudo installed as that was suggeted as the problem on the previous install
> that crashed and burned what else is missing ntp is installed as well ..
>

> Pete .

Are you member of the group wheel? Did you setup sudo using visudo?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 18:37 +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> > Hi .
> >
> > I am trying to set the timezone up correctly and setup ntp to run .
> >
> > I have tried using System Settings in KDE but for some reason it does not
> > accept the password . If i enter the password (root password) it reply's
> > failed to Authenticate and greys everyting out for a few seconds i have
> > sudo installed as that was suggeted as the problem on the previous install
> > that crashed and burned what else is missing ntp is installed as well ..
> >

> > Pete .
>
> Are you member of the group wheel? Did you setup sudo using visudo?

You need to enter the users password (usually a user doesn't know the
admins password or simply set sudo not to ask for the password.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PPS: kdesu? Than I suspect you need to use the root password.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM
P Nikolic

On Sunday 05 Feb 2012 21:01:04 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 18:37 +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> > Hi .
> >
> > I am trying to set the timezone up correctly and setup ntp to run .
> >
> > I have tried using System Settings in KDE but for some reason it does not
> > accept the password . If i enter the password (root password) it reply's
> > failed to Authenticate and greys everyting out for a few seconds i
> > have sudo installed as that was suggeted as the problem on the previous
> > install that crashed and burned what else is missing ntp is installed
> > as well ..
> >

> > Pete .
>
> Are you member of the group wheel? Did you setup sudo using visudo?

Yes to wheel and no to visudo as i dont do vi now if you can joesudo or
nanosudo then i can get there but vi no hope

Pete .

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Lukas Fleischer

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:31:11PM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> On Sunday 05 Feb 2012 21:01:04 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Sun, 2012-02-05 at 18:37 +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> > > Hi .
> > >
> > > I am trying to set the timezone up correctly and setup ntp to run .
> > >
> > > I have tried using System Settings in KDE but for some reason it does not
> > > accept the password . If i enter the password (root password) it reply's
> > > failed to Authenticate and greys everyting out for a few seconds i
> > > have sudo installed as that was suggeted as the problem on the previous
> > > install that crashed and burned what else is missing ntp is installed
> > > as well ..
> > >

> > > Pete .
> >
> > Are you member of the group wheel? Did you setup sudo using visudo?
>
> Yes to wheel and no to visudo as i dont do vi now if you can joesudo or
> nanosudo then i can get there but vi no hope

`VISUAL=nano visudo`. `VISUAL=joe visudo`.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM
P Nikolic

On Sunday 05 Feb 2012 21:48:54 Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:31:11PM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:

> > > Are you member of the group wheel? Did you setup sudo using visudo?
> >
> > Yes to wheel and no to visudo as i dont do vi now if you can joesudo or
> > nanosudo then i can get there but vi no hope
>
> `VISUAL=nano visudo`. `VISUAL=joe visudo`.
>
> > Pete .

yep sorted thanks just me and vi do not mix at all never have never will
same as i could never hang with edlin either i always use a TSR editor on
dos Sidekick and joe on Linux

Pete .

Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Lukas Fleischer

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 08:57:06PM +0000, P Nikolic wrote:
> On Sunday 05 Feb 2012 21:48:54 Lukas Fleischer wrote:

> > > Yes to wheel and no to visudo as i dont do vi now if you can joesudo or
> > > nanosudo then i can get there but vi no hope
> >
> > `VISUAL=nano visudo`. `VISUAL=joe visudo`.
> >
> > > Pete .
>
> yep sorted thanks just me and vi do not mix at all never have never will
> same as i could never hang with edlin either i always use a TSR editor on
> dos Sidekick and joe on Linux

Anyway, please consider consulting the appropriate man page (visudo(8)
in this case) next time... Oh, and please read [1]. No offense, but this
will help you get more feedback for sure.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/4qcee

Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Sébastien Leblanc

Myself being a non-vi user, I find that visudo is hard for people used
to nano. Besides, use of visudo is only critical for systems where no
one knows the root password (default Ubuntu for example). If you know
the root password and are on a generally single user system where
there is no risk that two people would be modifying the sudoers file
at the same time, don't be afraid to edit /etc/sudoers with nano. If
you manage to break sudo, you can always fix it with su -c "nano
/etc/sudoers" and by typing the root password.

--
Sébastien Leblanc

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Lukas Fleischer

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 05:21:47PM -0500, Sébastien Leblanc wrote:
> Myself being a non-vi user, I find that visudo is hard for people used
> to nano. Besides, use of visudo is only critical for systems where no
> one knows the root password (default Ubuntu for example). If you know
> the root password and are on a generally single user system where
> there is no risk that two people would be modifying the sudoers file
> at the same time, don't be afraid to edit /etc/sudoers with nano. If
> you manage to break sudo, you can always fix it with su -c "nano
> /etc/sudoers" and by typing the root password.

visudo(8) does more than locking. It performs basic syntax checks after
editing and tells you if (and where) any errors were found. It's the
right tool for this job, so why bother with workarounds if using another
editor is as simple as setting "$VISUAL" or "$EDITOR" (which you should
do in your shell rc file anyway if you're not used to using vi(1))?

Furthermore, it's pretty usual that only very few (to none) users know
the root password, even if there's a larger number of privileged users.