Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Magnus Therning

Default GHC 7.4.1 or HP 2011.4.0.0??

It's been out for a day now... this would be a good time to decide
whether ArchLinux should be bold and move to a haskell-platform-free
state, or trudge on with HP and the ache it causes.

If we're moving to 7.4.1 there's a lot of work with getting
ArchHaskell in shape for it, so the longer notice the better

If we're to trudge on with HP then we really ought to move to
2011.4.0.0, which also means a new version of GHC and a lot of work on
ArchHaskell, so the longer notice the better

Please, please, please, can we move on this soon?

I'm available to help out with [extra]&[community] packages if need
be, updating PKGBUILDs, building, verifying other's changes, etc.

/M

--
Magnus Therning * * * * * * * * * * *OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org * jabber: magnus@therning.org

Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Taylor Hedberg

My personal opinion as a user is that it would be nice to abandon the
Haskell Platform in favor of keeping more Haskell packages up-to-date
with the upstream. That seems more in line with the general Arch
philosophy of staying as current as possible. Also, GHC 7.4 has some
cool features that I would love to be able to use...

My understanding of the implications of this kind of decision is fairly
limited, though, so I take my own opinion with a rather large grain of
salt.

Also, if there's anything a normal user can do to contribute to the
upgrade effort, I'd be glad to offer my help.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Leif Warner

I vote for 7.4.1. Things are moving beyond 7.0.4. HP is a nice idea, but
I've never really used it on Arch - I just install the Haskell packages I
need and their dependencies are automatically installed.
Here, I view it more of a "blessed baseline" for the larger goal of
supporting as many useful Haskell packages together as possible.

-Leif

Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Magnus Therning

We ought to be ashamed, Debian unstable now has GHC 7.4.1!
http://packages.debian.org/sid/ghc

In the meantime I've put together a repo with GHC 7.4.1 (x86_64 only)
and a few packages: http://is.gd/L7ZBQC

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay

Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
> We ought to be ashamed, Debian unstable now has GHC 7.4.1!
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/ghc
>
> In the meantime I've put together a repo with GHC 7.4.1 (x86_64 only)
> and a few packages: http://is.gd/L7ZBQC
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning * * * * * * * * * * *OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
> email: magnus@therning.org * jabber: magnus@therning.org
> twitter: magthe * * * * * * * http://therning.org/magnus
>

> Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
> being a real problem in the longer term.
> * * -- Alan Kay

Hi,

I will be working with vega in around 2 weeks to update ghc and
cleaning up the haskell pkgs.
I'm not working on it right now because I'm currently focusing on
cleaning up our ruby package and guidelines.
Vega is working on a tool to help us with the update.

If you really need ghc 7.4.1, I have a preliminary package for ghc at
http://pkgbuild.com/~td123/ghc.tar
Binaries are available under http://pkgbuild.com/~td123/
Note this is completely unsupported and should be only used if you
know what you're doing. Not specifically saying this to you, but other
people that come across reading this

-Thomas Dziedzic

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Magnus Therning

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:07:13PM -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>> We ought to be ashamed, Debian unstable now has GHC 7.4.1!
>> http://packages.debian.org/sid/ghc
>>
>> In the meantime I've put together a repo with GHC 7.4.1 (x86_64
>> only) and a few packages: http://is.gd/L7ZBQC
>
> Hi,
>
> I will be working with vega in around 2 weeks to update ghc and
> cleaning up the haskell pkgs.
> I'm not working on it right now because I'm currently focusing on
> cleaning up our ruby package and guidelines.
> Vega is working on a tool to help us with the update.

All right, so it's coming that's good :-)

Am I to understand that this means HP will go?

In the meantime I'll try to build as many of the packages in
[extra]/[community] as possible. That ought to be useful to you later
on, particularly if any patches are necessary.

/M

Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 AM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:07:13PM -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>>> We ought to be ashamed, Debian unstable now has GHC 7.4.1!
>>> http://packages.debian.org/sid/ghc
>>>
>>> In the meantime I've put together a repo with GHC 7.4.1 (x86_64
>>> only) and a few packages: http://is.gd/L7ZBQC
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I will be working with vega in around 2 weeks to update ghc and
>> cleaning up the haskell pkgs.
>> I'm not working on it right now because I'm currently focusing on
>> cleaning up our ruby package and guidelines.
>> Vega is working on a tool to help us with the update.
>
> All right, so it's coming that's good :-)
>
> Am I to understand that this means HP will go?

That's the plan so far.

> In the meantime I'll try to build as many of the packages in
> [extra]/[community] as possible. *That ought to be useful to you later
> on, particularly if any patches are necessary.

This would be really awesome if you found the time to do this
especially if you found any breakages and patches that fixed those.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Magnus Therning

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:03:02PM -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
[...]
>> Am I to understand that this means HP will go?
>
> That's the plan so far.

:-)

>> In the meantime I'll try to build as many of the packages in
>> [extra]/[community] as possible. *That ought to be useful to you
>> later on, particularly if any patches are necessary.
>
> This would be really awesome if you found the time to do this
> especially if you found any breakages and patches that fixed those.

Of course. I'll collect it all in the git repo I pointed to earlier.

By now I've gotten almost all packages from [extra] compiled. So far
I've skipped OpenGL/GLUT since these packages have been drastically
re-arranged in the recent releases. I'm wondering whether it's worth
including them at all if HP is dropped. (Are there usage statistics
to consult somewhere?)

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
-- Alan Kay

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Magnus Therning

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 07:13:22PM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
[...]
> By now I've gotten almost all packages from [extra] compiled. So
> far I've skipped OpenGL/GLUT since these packages have been
> drastically re-arranged in the recent releases. I'm wondering
> whether it's worth including them at all if HP is dropped. (Are
> there usage statistics to consult somewhere?)

And now I've added the packages from [community]. The total list is
now:

ghc74 alex 3.0.1-1
ghc74 ghc 7.4.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 gtk2hs-buildtools 0.12.1-1
ghc74 happy 1.18.9-1
ghc74 haskell-ansi-terminal 0.5.5-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-ansi-wl-pprint 0.6.4-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-bytestring-show 0.3.5.1-1
ghc74 haskell-cairo 0.12.2-1
ghc74 haskell-cereal 0.3.5.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-cgi 3001.1.8.2-1
ghc74 haskell-cmdargs 0.9.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-crypto-api 0.9-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-darcs-beta 2.7.98.3-2
ghc74 haskell-data-default 0.2.0.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-dataenc 0.14.0.3-2
ghc74 haskell-dbus 0.4-1
ghc74 haskell-entropy 0.2.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-fgl 5.4.2.4-1
ghc74 haskell-ghc-paths 0.1.0.8-1
ghc74 haskell-glib 0.12.2-1
ghc74 haskell-gtk 0.12.2-1
ghc74 haskell-hashed-storage 0.5.9-2
ghc74 haskell-haskeline 0.6.4.6-2
ghc74 haskell-haskell-src 1.0.1.5-1
ghc74 haskell-hslogger 1.1.5-1
ghc74 haskell-html 1.0.1.2-2
ghc74 haskell-http 4000.2.2-1
ghc74 haskell-hunit 1.2.4.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-json 0.5-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-largeword 1.0.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-mmap 0.5.7-2
ghc74 haskell-monadcatchio-mtl 0.3.0.4-1
ghc74 haskell-mtl 2.0.1.0-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-network 2.3.0.11-1
ghc74 haskell-pango 0.12.2-1
ghc74 haskell-parallel 3.2.0.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-parsec 3.1.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-primitive 0.4.1-2
ghc74 haskell-puremd5 2.1.0.3-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-quickcheck 2.4.2-1
ghc74 haskell-random 1.0.1.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-regex-base 0.93.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-regex-compat 0.95.1-2
ghc74 haskell-regex-posix 0.95.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-regex-tdfa 1.1.8-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-semigroups 0.8-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-split 0.1.4.2-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-stm 2.2.0.1-1
ghc74 haskell-syb 0.3.6-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-tagged 0.2.3.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-tar 0.3.2.0-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-text 0.11.1.13-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-transformers 0.2.2.0-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-unixutils 1.47-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-utf8-string 0.3.7-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-vector 0.9.1-2
ghc74 haskell-x11 1.5.0.1-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-x11-xft 0.3.1-1
ghc74 haskell-xhtml 3000.2.0.5-1
ghc74 haskell-xmonad 0.10-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-xmonad-contrib 0.10-2 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-xmonad-extras 0.10.1-5 [installed]
ghc74 haskell-zlib 0.5.3.2-2 [installed]

/M

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 09:03:02PM -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org>
> wrote:
> [...]
> >> Am I to understand that this means HP will go?
> >
> > That's the plan so far.
>
> :-)
>
> >> In the meantime I'll try to build as many of the packages in
> >> [extra]/[community] as possible. That ought to be useful to you
> >> later on, particularly if any patches are necessary.
> >
> > This would be really awesome if you found the time to do this
> > especially if you found any breakages and patches that fixed those.
>
> Of course. I'll collect it all in the git repo I pointed to earlier.
>
> By now I've gotten almost all packages from [extra] compiled. So far
> I've skipped OpenGL/GLUT since these packages have been drastically
> re-arranged in the recent releases. I'm wondering whether it's worth
> including them at all if HP is dropped. (Are there usage statistics
> to consult somewhere?)

This website shows all archlinux's package stats (only for the people how
have pkgstats) https://www.archlinux.de/?page=Statistics

--
Jelle van der Waa