Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Tim Stella

Default qtwebkit and html5 video

On 02/02/12 at 01:55am, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> this has been bothering me for some time, so just posting for wider audience.
>
> Facts, all applicable to rekonq and konqueror with webkit part
>
> - I have qtwebkit,kwebkitpart and rekonq installed
>
> - I am on youtube html5 demo trial. youtube.com/html5 reports support for webm
> and h.264 support
>
> - html5test.com reports video element support with MPEG-4/H.264/Ogg
> Theora/WebM. I have gstreamer phonon backend with most of the codecs
> installed.
>
> - youtube html5 video does not work. I get a progress bar but no video frames.
> example URL tested http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1MTQ
> as it has couple of youtube videos embedded
>
> - videos from vimeo.com does not play either.
>
> google isn't helpful. and there is no bug in arch linux bug db.
>
> Does anybody else experience this too?
> --
> Regards
> Shridhar

Do videos on the youtube site itself work? I don't think that embedded videos
will work with html5.

Tim Stella

Old 02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Shridhar Daithankar

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:40:05 PM Tim Stella wrote:
> > Does anybody else experience this too?
>
> Do videos on the youtube site itself work? I don't think that embedded
> videos will work with html5.

Nope. tried the following(a trailor from a upcoming hindi movie), same
symptoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97P3zoUIos&feature=g-
logo&context=G2fdb9b2FOAAAAAAABAA

http://html5demos.com/video does not work either. I just get an incrementing
timer, no video border/progress bar either. with youtube, at least thats
available

firefox plays both of them nicely..

--
Regards
Shridhar

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Peter Lewis

On Thursday 02 Feb 2012 01:55:47 Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> - youtube html5 video does not work. I get a progress bar but no video
> frames.

> Does anybody else experience this too?

I still have this problem too with my regular user account, which contains the
same dot files that have been upgraded since pre-KDE 4.0 days. It does work
for me with a new user though, but so far I've been totally unable to find
which part of my user config is causing it.

Pete.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Isaac Dupree

Do videos on the youtube site itself work? I don't think that embedded videos
will work with html5.

Embedded videos from youtube do work (sometimes; increasingly often as
Google/YouTube becomes more confident about its HTML5 support, I think,
but it seems a bit random). I know because I see them in Chromium on
Arch Linux with no Flash plugin installed.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Shridhar Daithankar

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:17:48 PM Peter Lewis wrote:
> On Thursday 02 Feb 2012 01:55:47 Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > - youtube html5 video does not work. I get a progress bar but no video
> > frames.
> >
> > Does anybody else experience this too?
>
> I still have this problem too with my regular user account, which contains
> the same dot files that have been upgraded since pre-KDE 4.0 days. It does
> work for me with a new user though, but so far I've been totally unable to
> find which part of my user config is causing it.

Nope. That is not the case here. I created a new user and set it all up. Same
result.

--
Regards
Shridhar

Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Shridhar Daithankar

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 09:57:10 PM Isaac Dupree wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 03:40 PM, Tim Stella wrote:
> > Do videos on the youtube site itself work? I don't think that embedded
> > videos will work with html5.
>
> Embedded videos from youtube do work (sometimes; increasingly often as
> Google/YouTube becomes more confident about its HTML5 support, I think,
> but it seems a bit random). I know because I see them in Chromium on
> Arch Linux with no Flash plugin installed.

The embedded video link on phoronix I posted earlier works fine in firefox
too. Forgot to mention earlier.

--
Regards
Shridhar

Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Shridhar Daithankar

On Thursday, February 02, 2012 02:32:47 AM Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:40:05 PM Tim Stella wrote:
> > > Does anybody else experience this too?
> >
> > Do videos on the youtube site itself work? I don't think that embedded
> > videos will work with html5.
>
> Nope. tried the following(a trailor from a upcoming hindi movie), same
> symptoms.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M97P3zoUIos&feature=g-
> logo&context=G2fdb9b2FOAAAAAAABAA
>
> http://html5demos.com/video does not work either. I just get an incrementing
> timer, no video border/progress bar either. with youtube, at least thats
> available
>
> firefox plays both of them nicely..

I was researching further on this topic and stumbled across
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-December/017091.html

Following it, I went to http://tinyvid.tv/ and I am able to play video's from
that site in konqueror.

So it is related to codecs. Hence I searched for gstreamer codecs that I
didn't have. I installed the following additional packages

gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
gstreamer0.10-ugly
gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins

So the current set of installed gstreamer packages are

local/gstreamer0.10 0.10.35-1
local/gstreamer0.10-bad 0.10.22-3 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins 0.10.22-3 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.35-1
local/gstreamer0.10-base-plugins 0.10.35-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.13-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/gstreamer0.10-good 0.10.30-1
local/gstreamer0.10-good-plugins 0.10.30-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/gstreamer0.10-python 0.10.22-1
local/gstreamer0.10-ugly 0.10.18-4
local/gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins 0.10.18-4 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
local/phonon-gstreamer 4.5.1-1

Log in again and it works. Now I can play the phoronix embedded video,
html5demos video and the youtube trailer I mentioned upthread.

I think what I did was a broad hammer but it worked.

May be these could be added as optional dependencies to qtwebkit?

--
Regards
Shridhar