Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
P Nikolic

Default Kmail 2 problems

Hi ..

I am getting the following error on mail check

Local Folders: Error opening:
This folder is missing .

I also get complaints about unable to delete (long number) on Kmail2 startup

not sure if it is related but i have also had big problems with Akondai when
trying to add my saved calenders with warnings of file on disc has been
changed writing backup file i wound up with over 3000 files in a few mins had
hell of a job dealing with that

Pete .

Sorry if this has landed trwice but i dont think kmail is working correctly

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 08:44:25 P Nikolic wrote:
> I am getting the following error on mail check
>
> Local Folders: Error opening:
> This folder is missing .
>
> I also get complaints about unable to delete (long number) on Kmail2 startup
>
> not sure if it is related but i have also had big problems with Akondai when
> trying to add my saved calenders with warnings of file on disc has been
> changed writing backup file i wound up with over 3000 files in a few mins
> had hell of a job dealing with that

Assuming you're using IMAP email, and are beyond caring about filters & other
account-specific options, I'd suggest closing KMail, deleting the e-mail
account using AkonadiTray (or "Personal Information" in System Settings), and
then stopping and starting Akonadi (using AkonadiTray) before adding the
account again.

That helped me when I ran into issues when I first switched to KMail 2.

Paul

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
P NIKOLIC

Hi Paul**
Sorry for the top posting back to web mail* cus Kmail2 just eats everything baring the junk .

I am using pop3* i have at present that matter 7 pop3 accounts* (bt do not do imap)* on those 7 accounts there are several mailing lists like this one* i use filters quite heavily to ensure that on arrival the mails all end up in the correct folders hence making life easy and convienient** but this install of Kmail2 is a real pain .

It is that bad i looked at Claws but that does not feel or look right and it's filters are unable to do the job of shifting mail around from what i have found

I do wish someone would re-write the old Kmail to run on KDE4.x.x but using the OLD system and just completely fail to even aknowldge that darn Akoadi thing* same for Korganiser and* Kaddressbook they worked* flawlessly

Pete* (appologies for the top posting)

Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:30:15 P NIKOLIC wrote:
> Sorry for the top posting back to web mail cus Kmail2 just eats everything
> baring the junk .

No worries.

> I am using pop3 i have at present that matter 7 pop3 accounts (bt do not
> do imap) on those 7 accounts there are several mailing lists like this
> one i use filters quite heavily to ensure that on arrival the mails all
> end up in the correct folders hence making life easy and convienient but
> this install of Kmail2 is a real pain .
>
> It is that bad i looked at Claws but that does not feel or look right and
> it's filters are unable to do the job of shifting mail around from what i
> have found

The problem is almost certainly that it's got mixed up in the migration. This
is the main outstanding issue with the Nepomuk and Akonadi frameworks, in my
opinion.

Could you describe what KMail is actually doing that makes it unusable? I
know you've mentioned some error messages, but what are the actual symptoms?
Does mail go missing, appear multiple times etc...?

If you're at the point where you're considering switching to another client, I
think you'd do better to back up as much as you can from KMail, and delete and
recreate your accounts. It'll be a pain, because it'll destroy your filters,
but it might be better than having to switch to another client.

If you decide to do that, you may be able to salvage most of your mail by
copying it into Local Folders before deleting the POP3 account.

Paul

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
P Nikolic

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:39:34 Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:30:15 P NIKOLIC wrote:
> > Sorry for the top posting back to web mail cus Kmail2 just eats
> > everything
> > baring the junk .
>
> No worries.
>
> > I am using pop3 i have at present that matter 7 pop3 accounts (bt do not
> > do imap) on those 7 accounts there are several mailing lists like this
> > one i use filters quite heavily to ensure that on arrival the mails all
> > end up in the correct folders hence making life easy and convienient but
> > this install of Kmail2 is a real pain .
> >
> > It is that bad i looked at Claws but that does not feel or look right and
> > it's filters are unable to do the job of shifting mail around from what i
> > have found
>
> The problem is almost certainly that it's got mixed up in the migration.
> This is the main outstanding issue with the Nepomuk and Akonadi frameworks,
> in my opinion.
>
> Could you describe what KMail is actually doing that makes it unusable? I
> know you've mentioned some error messages, but what are the actual symptoms?
> Does mail go missing, appear multiple times etc...?
>
> If you're at the point where you're considering switching to another client,
> I think you'd do better to back up as much as you can from KMail, and
> delete and recreate your accounts. It'll be a pain, because it'll destroy
> your filters, but it might be better than having to switch to another
> client.
>
> If you decide to do that, you may be able to salvage most of your mail by
> copying it into Local Folders before deleting the POP3 account.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul

Back in Kmail2

Well if this gets thru it may well be getting there i have completely deleted
all the accounts and re done them but getting used to that now so does not
take long (all in my head now even the dang passwords full of all sorts)
also the same with the filters .

I can sometimes end up with 2 or 3 copies of a message or a message will go
straight to the trash can and as soon i i access it the can just empty's .

then there is the one about the Local folder not existing and the unable to
move message (message number) .

One thing i can not find right now is just where the Mail is supposed to be
stored i can not find it at all .

Pete ..

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:51:57 P Nikolic wrote:
> Well if this gets thru it may well be getting there i have completely
> deleted all the accounts and re done them but getting used to that now so
> does not take long (all in my head now even the dang passwords full of all
> sorts) also the same with the filters .

It got through

> I can sometimes end up with 2 or 3 copies of a message or a message will go
> straight to the trash can and as soon i i access it the can just empty's .
>
> then there is the one about the Local folder not existing and the unable to
> move message (message number) .

If there are errors in reference to Local Folders, you might want to try
deleting the Local Folders resource from Akonadi, and recreating it. I don't
think the maildir is deleted when you do this, so you might want to consider
emptying it before recreating the resource. On my system, the directory is
~/.local/share/local-mail.

> One thing i can not find right now is just where the Mail is supposed to be
> stored i can not find it at all .

I don't think it's stored in a standard maildir any more, but I think the
relevant files will be at ~/.kde4/share/apps/akonadi-mbox-resource-<X>.

If none of this works, I think you need to think about deleting your Nepomuk
database, assuming you're not too attached to any tags or ratings you've
assigned to files. This will destroy all that kind of metadata, which is
generally stored in Nepomuk these days.

In order to do this, you need to close KMail, shut down Akonadi, and run this
command:

$ qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit

Make sure that "nepomukserver" has exited. (It can take a little while,
sometimes. You may even have to kill it.)

Then you can move ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk to some backup location and
restart Nepomuk with:

$ nepomukserver&

Then you can start Akonadi again, and then KMail. With any luck, that might
help.

Paul

Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
P Nikolic

On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 16:15:23 Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 15:51:57 P Nikolic wrote:
> > Well if this gets thru it may well be getting there i have completely
> > deleted all the accounts and re done them but getting used to that now so
> > does not take long (all in my head now even the dang passwords full of
> > all
> > sorts) also the same with the filters .
>
> It got through
>
> > I can sometimes end up with 2 or 3 copies of a message or a message will
> > go
> > straight to the trash can and as soon i i access it the can just empty's .
> >
> > then there is the one about the Local folder not existing and the unable
> > to move message (message number) .
>
> If there are errors in reference to Local Folders, you might want to try
> deleting the Local Folders resource from Akonadi, and recreating it. I
> don't think the maildir is deleted when you do this, so you might want to
> consider emptying it before recreating the resource. On my system, the
> directory is ~/.local/share/local-mail.

Ok i will give that a try

> > One thing i can not find right now is just where the Mail is supposed to
> > be
> > stored i can not find it at all .
>
> I don't think it's stored in a standard maildir any more, but I think the
> relevant files will be at ~/.kde4/share/apps/akonadi-mbox-resource-<X>.
>
> If none of this works, I think you need to think about deleting your Nepomuk
> database, assuming you're not too attached to any tags or ratings you've
> assigned to files. This will destroy all that kind of metadata, which is
> generally stored in Nepomuk these days.
>
> In order to do this, you need to close KMail, shut down Akonadi, and run
> this command:
>
> $ qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
>
> Make sure that "nepomukserver" has exited. (It can take a little while,
> sometimes. You may even have to kill it.)
>
> Then you can move ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk to some backup location and
> restart Nepomuk with:
>
> $ nepomukserver&
>
> Then you can start Akonadi again, and then KMail. With any luck, that might
> help.
>
> Paul

Yes i had a right fight with Akonadi with calendar resources i had about a 5
second space in which to open Akonadaitray and delete the calender resource
it was looping like crazy not good fun

We will see what happens

Thanks Pete .