Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
"Stephen E. Baker"

Default Merge /bin to /usr/bin?

A few days ago it was announced that Fedora 17 will be merging several
root directories into their /usr equivalents and using symlinks for
compatibility. The announcement can be found here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/158708

There are several good reasons for the change, outlined at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
I wondered if this was something Arch was considering as well.

Stephen E. Baker

Old 01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Stephen E. Baker
<baker.stephen.e@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are several good reasons for the change, outlined at:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge *I
> wondered if this was something Arch was considering as well.

It is being discussed (vaguely related: [0]). While the end goal is
very nice (and KISS), the big concern is with the transition, which
would be a real PITA.

If we can get the transition right I'd personally be in favor, but it
would require lots of planning and testing. I'm not at all a fan of
the way Fedora is going to do the move btw...

[0]: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-January/022463.html>

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Stephen E. Baker
<baker.stephen.e@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few days ago it was announced that Fedora 17 will be merging several root
> directories into their /usr equivalents and using symlinks for
> compatibility. *The announcement can be found here:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel/158708
>
> There are several good reasons for the change, outlined at:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge *I
> wondered if this was something Arch was considering as well.
>
> Stephen E. Baker

Thread on the forums with link to the ML discussion:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1049889#p1049889

Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:32:50 +0100
Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Stephen E. Baker
> <baker.stephen.e@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There are several good reasons for the change, outlined at:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge *I
> > wondered if this was something Arch was considering as well.
>
> It is being discussed (vaguely related: [0]). While the end goal is
> very nice (and KISS), the big concern is with the transition, which
> would be a real PITA.
>
> If we can get the transition right I'd personally be in favor, but it
> would require lots of planning and testing. I'm not at all a fan of
> the way Fedora is going to do the move btw...
>
> [0]:
> <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-January/022463.html>

As long as this question popped up... is there a real need these
days for /usr/lib64?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 01-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:32:50 +0100
schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no>:

> I'm not at all a fan of
> the way Fedora is going to do the move btw...

Maybe the way of going over a committee is the better way after all? ;-)
I just say: FHS and the chaos and the imcompatibilities because every
distro goes its own way. Maybe it is better to follow a standard and
first rewrite this standard.

Well, I didn't say anything.

Heiko

Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Clive Cooper

Am I the only person that has ever had a problem with the /usr
directory in the past (through my own stupidity or whatever) and been
damn glad that things like chown etc. etc. are in the /bin directory?
Just asking.

Clive

Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Allan McRae

On 31/01/12 04:49, Leonid Isaev wrote:

> As long as this question popped up... is there a real need these
> days for /usr/lib64?

Binary blobs expect the linker there.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:01:11 +1000
Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 31/01/12 04:49, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> >
> > As long as this question popped up... is there a real need these
> > days for /usr/lib64?
> >

> Binary blobs expect the linker there.

I see, thanks.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Allan McRae

On 31/01/12 06:08, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:01:11 +1000
> Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 31/01/12 04:49, Leonid Isaev wrote:
>>>
>>> As long as this question popped up... is there a real need these
>>> days for /usr/lib64?
>>>

>> Binary blobs expect the linker there.
>>

> I see, thanks.

I should point out there is nothing stopping /lib64 being a symlink to
/lib (or /usr/lib...) given all it contains is symlinks to files there.

Allan

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Benjamin Hase

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:28:27 +0000
schrieb Clive Cooper <clive@winpe.com>:

> Am I the only person that has ever had a problem with the /usr
> directory in the past (through my own stupidity or whatever) and been
> damn glad that things like chown etc. etc. are in the /bin directory?
> Just asking.
>
> Clive

IMHO it is not the worst thing to separate /bin and /usr/bin ;-)
https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/commit/a047be85247755cdbe0acce6