Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Tim Stella

Default offtopic ml (WAS eons ago: change in mount behaviour?)

On 01/30/12 at 04:43pm, SanskritFritz wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Karol Blazewicz
> <karol.blazewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM, SanskritFritz <sanskritfritz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> How do you do that?
> >
> > I'm using gmail and it's under the 'more' button / list (first one on
> > the right when you select or read / reply to a message).
>
> Ah, so you are using Filter messages. I hoped there was a really easy
> way, like a 'mute' button that is thread aware
> Anyway, thanks for the advice.

No, it's as you say -- under the More button, there is a 'Mute' button that will
simply mute the thread. This is built into gmail.

Tim

Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:17:48 +0100
schrieb Martti Kühne <mysatyre@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:08:27PM -0600, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> > ... soooo, how about an `arch-offtopic` list? then at least we'd
> > have somewhere to send these tangents, under pain of DEATH (er,
> > temp ban perhaps), vs. begging and pleading for them to die ...
> > since there is an obvious refusal to take them to the forum, or a
> > blog, or a diary under the pillow. (it would be cool if you could
> > re-assign a Message-ID to a specific list ...)
> >
> > who's with me?
>
> +1, wondering why no one picked that up yet.

This wouldn't change much. The original topic was Arch related. The
discussion about PA etc. evolved from this. So such a discussion
wouldn't be switched to another mailing list. Same for any other
similar discussions. See my try to change the subject from mount to PA.
The discussion about PA has mostly been continued under the original
subject.

And there's another disadvantage. This arch-offtopic list would most
likely not read by so many people and probably not by the "right"
people whatever that might mean.

A new mailing-list arch-offtopic would only be used for discussions
which are originally be totally offtopic. And probably not even then,
if someone isn't aware that his topic is offtopic.

So if such a discussion would indeed be moved to an arch-offtopic list
this would mean people can directly shut their mouth. So almost no
chance for changes.

People who are not interested in a thread can either ignore this
thread, just filter it out or move its e-mails to /dev/null with their
e-mail clients.

Heiko

Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:14:01 -0600
schrieb C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me>:

> not always, and i use a mobile 70%+ of the time. i don't want to
> create a new filter for every long-winded thread to nowhere. maybe i
> can create a label -> trash, and flag multiple conversations ... maybe
> i can't. why should i?

Because you don't want to see those e-mails.

What do you think to how many mailing lists I am subscribed and in how
many threads I'm not interested even on arch-general, aur-general etc.
You know what I do with those threads? What anyone else would do. I
just ignore them and delete those e-mails, because they may be
important and interesting to other people, maybe to the devs, but not
to me.

Do I tell the people to shut up and not discuss their Nvidia problems
because I have an ATI card and am not affected by Nvidia issues?

For me discussions about Nvidia are not necessary, for Nvidia users
they likely are. For you discussions about PA may be unnecessary, for
pro-audio users they are important. Or what do you mean, why there came
so much feedback from so many people incl. pro-audio users and why
this thread got that long?

If your mobile is not capable to handle such e-mail filters, just don't
use your mobile for reading such mailing lists or buy a more capable
one.

> ... you know what's way cooler? believing others are capable of
> respecting each other's time, and the reason others join a list in the
> first place (ie. the expected boundaries).

Oh, you mean because I should respect your time I should shut up and
suspend my judgement? You really mean I should let myself censored
because of your time? What about respecting other people's opinion?

If such a discussion is unimportant to you and you're not interested in
it, just ignore it.

I think such a discussions like this one about PA is important, even if
it's on an Arch related mailing list. But the problem with PA e.g.
resp. this ongoing dependency hell is a general one and Arch is part of
the "general" Linux community. And probably such a discussion
is read by other more "important" people and then brought to the "right"
place, etc.

And again, this discussion about PA has evolved from an Arch related
topic. So should this discussion just be stopped, because it gets
off-topic somehow and you are not interested in it?

I guess you should think about that.

Heiko