Old 01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Pulseaudio - was change in mount behaviour?

Hi

the real issue isn't solved, but here are two hints how to get rid of PA
for current Arch Linux, to stop the never ending, useless discussion.

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:23 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> Just get your job done and in the evening rebuild the package.

I'm using this package since I'm using audio with Arch Linux
$ ls /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy -l
Dec 23 18:10 PKGBUILD
Jan 15 01:43 pulseaudio-dummy-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
I'm in no hurry .

Anyway those solutions might be helpful for others:

gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse 3.2.2-1 is available at

I'm using a pulseaudio-dummy package.

$ cat /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy/PKGBUILD
pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
arch=('any')
url=""
license=('BSD')
provides=('pulseaudio')
conflicts=('pulseaudio')
source=()

Both posted several times before.
Btw. somebody from this list explained me how to build dummy-packages
for Arch Linux, by this example, since I'm new to Arch.

A dummy-package IMO is the best way to go, since it protect against
installing PA, what ever I do. So I can install what ever GNOME or KDE
app I like and if I should install GNOME3, I could upgrade
gnome-settings-daemon from extra, without taking care about PA.

Perhaps this could damage an app, but I never experienced this for
another Linux install I used.

This are just workarounds that don't solve the essence of that issue.
Ok, the essence has to be clarified with upstream.

> Do you have to pay for PA/gnome?

I'm using XFCE. The sub-thread was about issues caused by the policy of
PA, not about my personal problems I might or might not have.

Ralf

PS: I suspect [solved] is for "silence", regarding to the S/N ratio.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:27:46 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> the real issue isn't solved, but here are two hints how to get rid of PA
> for current Arch Linux, to stop the never ending, useless discussion.
>
> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:23 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> > Just get your job done and in the evening rebuild the package.
>
> I'm using this package since I'm using audio with Arch Linux
> $ ls /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy -l
> Dec 23 18:10 PKGBUILD
> Jan 15 01:43 pulseaudio-dummy-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
> I'm in no hurry .
>
> Anyway those solutions might be helpful for others:
>
> gnome-settings-daemon-nopulse 3.2.2-1 is available at
>
> I'm using a pulseaudio-dummy package.
>
> $ cat /usr/src/pulseaudio-dummy/PKGBUILD
> pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
> pkgver=1.0
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
> arch=('any')
> url=""
> license=('BSD')
> provides=('pulseaudio')
> conflicts=('pulseaudio')
> source=()
>
> Both posted several times before.
> Btw. somebody from this list explained me how to build dummy-packages
> for Arch Linux, by this example, since I'm new to Arch.
>
> A dummy-package IMO is the best way to go, since it protect against
> installing PA, what ever I do. So I can install what ever GNOME or KDE
> app I like and if I should install GNOME3, I could upgrade
> gnome-settings-daemon from extra, without taking care about PA.

The dependency problem which everyone seems to be concerned about is not going
anywhere: any linux distro was, is and will be a "mix-and-match". Packagers
try to enable maximum functionality -- hence you have unwanted applications
-- but you can't expect them to satisfy your personal preferences. So if this
situation bothers you there is only one realistic choice -- gentoo.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Kevin Chadwick

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I know today, but dependency hell still
> is an issue, even for Arch.

Gnome was going to depend on Linux, precluding it from the BSDs and I
guess custom kernels. Blanket dependencies have been regarded as
one of the biggest problems with Linux for years, once said to be
getting better finally and yet it appears to be getting worse. Should I
be able to use Dolphin on xfce without installing hundreds of megabytes
that then need to be updated.

P.s. Pulse audio doesn't work with grsecurity kernels without pax
marking (feature diabling). Alsa works fine. Please include that if you
join the gnome mailing list.

--
Kc