Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Bastien Dejean

Default Nouveau: 16bit Color Depth?

Hi,

I tried the nouveau driver and I noticed gradients were rough, I thought
it might be related to the color depth but I didn't found any relevant
option in the nouveau manual, so I tried passing depth parameters to
startx but it didn't help.

Any hints?

Greetings,
--
b.d
(| |)

Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:46 +0100, Bastien Dejean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the nouveau driver and I noticed gradients were rough, I thought
> it might be related to the color depth but I didn't found any relevant
> option in the nouveau manual, so I tried passing depth parameters to
> startx but it didn't help.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Greetings,

xorg.conf
DefaultDepth 24

"Many modern desktop systems (Mac OS X, GNOME, KDE, Windows XP/Vista/7,
etc.) offer a 32-bit color option (given a suitably modern video card),
but in that context, 32-bit color refers to 24-bit truecolor with 8 bits
for an alpha channel. When switching to an 8/16/24-bit color option in
those systems, generally transparency/translucency effects are disabled,
and the only reduction in color depth is seen when going to 8/16-bit
color." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 13:46 +0100, Bastien Dejean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the nouveau driver and I noticed gradients were rough, I thought
> it might be related to the color depth but I didn't found any relevant
> option in the nouveau manual, so I tried passing depth parameters to
> startx but it didn't help.
>
> Any hints?
>
> Greetings,

PS:
For the desktop or for apps? I suspect that e.g. NLVE on Linux still is
at 16-bit and not higher.