Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
P NIKOLIC

Default /usr on a seperate drive

Hi .

Well still fighting it* how does one go about putting /usr on a seperate drive* i can not seem to get it right just complains about /usr mounted unable to e2fsck cannot continue and falls to maintenance mode* i cant unmount the drive because it contains /usr how do im get rount that one these days ..

Pete .

Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Karol Blazewicz

Have you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#.2Fusr_as_a_separate_partition
?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Peter G Nikolic

On Saturday 28 Jan 2012 23:59:29 Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM, P NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> > Hi .
> >
> > Well still fighting it how does one go about putting /usr on a seperate
> > drive i can not seem to get it right just complains about /usr mounted
> > unable to e2fsck cannot continue and falls to maintenance mode i cant
> > unmount the drive because it contains /usr how do im get rount that one
> > these days ..
> >
> > Pete .
>
> Have you read
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#.2Fusr_as_a_separate_partit
> ion ?

yep .. have to admit not making a lot of sense

Pete .

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.2.2-1-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.8.00 (4.8.0

Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Peter G Nikolic
> On Saturday 28 Jan 2012 23:59:29 Karol Blazewicz wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM, P NIKOLIC <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>> > Hi .
>> >
>> > Well still fighting it *how does one go about putting /usr on a seperate
>> > drive *i can not seem to get it right just complains about /usr mounted
>> > unable to e2fsck cannot continue and falls to maintenance mode *i cant
>> > unmount the drive because it contains /usr how do im get rount that one
>> > these days ..
>> >
>> > Pete .
>>
>> Have you read
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#.2Fusr_as_a_separate_partit
>> ion ?
>
> yep .. have to admit not making a lot of sense

Post your HOOKS.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Peter G Nikolic

On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 00:44:02 Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Peter G Nikolic

> > On Saturday 28 Jan 2012 23:59:29 Karol Blazewicz wrote:

> >> Have you read
> >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#.2Fusr_as_a_separate_part
> >> it
> >> ion ?
> >
> > yep .. have to admit not making a lot of sense
>
> Post your HOOKS.

Hi .

Right now i have given up on the seperate /usr , can i safely move /usr/share
to another drive and symlink it to /usr/share .

I have it up and working again but the disk is showing 100% full /usr/share
seems to be quite large /usr/src has already been moved and symlinked

Pete .

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.2.2-1-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.8.00 (4.8.0
23:50:10 up 15 min, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.18, 0.27

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Myra Nelson

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 17:53, Peter G Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>wrote:

> On Sunday 29 Jan 2012 00:44:02 Karol Blazewicz wrote:

> p.nikolic1@btinternet.com>

> mounted
> cant
> one

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#.2Fusr_as_a_separate_part
> > >
> > > yep .. have to admit not making a lot of sense
> >
> > Post your HOOKS.
>
> Hi .
>
> Right now i have given up on the seperate /usr , can i safely move
> /usr/share
> to another drive and symlink it to /usr/share .
>
> I have it up and working again but the disk is showing 100% full
> /usr/share
> seems to be quite large /usr/src has already been moved and symlinked
>
> Pete .
>
> --
> Powered by Kernel: 3.2.2-1-ARCH
> KDE Development Platform: 4.8.00 (4.8.0
> 23:50:10 up 15 min, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.18, 0.27

I had the same problem. Mkinitcpio now provides two hooks to allow one to
keep /usr on a separate partition, the fsck and shutdown hooks. By adding
these hook to mkinitcpio.conf it solved my problem. Kudos to those who work
on mkinitcpio.

HOOKS="base udev fsck autodetect pata scsi sata shutdown filesystems
usbinput"

Myra

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM, Peter G Nikolic
> Right now i have given up on the seperate /usr *, can i safely move /usr/share
> to another drive and symlink it to /usr/share * .
>
> I have it up and working again but the disk is showing 100% full */usr/share
> seems to be quite large * /usr/src has already been moved and symlinked

We assume that all of /usr is available when rc.sysinit is run, so
this might not be a good idea (but might work if you are lucky).

mkinitcpio should be able to mount your /usr for you, do you know why
this is not happening? Do you use some fancy disk layout
(raid,lvm,encryption?).

Cheers,

Tom