Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Heiko Baums

Default PulseAudio again (was: change in mount behaviour?)

Am Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:29:33 +0100
schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:

> The majority of Linux users on non-audio Linux mailing lists praise
> PA, ...

And the most computer users use Windows. So what's the point? That
doesn't mean that Windows is better than Linux or that Windows works
perfectly.

I'm sure that most Linux users just use their stereo or maybe surround
SoundBlaster like or onboard AC'97 sound card and not a
(semi-)professional audio card.

For those people PulseAudio may work, but that doesn't mean that it
really works, because they just don't see all the flaws. And it
definitely doesn't work with those ice1712 cards. And I've seen a lot
of discussions in Linux and IT forums where PulseAudio absolutely
wasn't praised, where most users said that it is crap or at least
unnecessary, because of the missing hardware support, and because most
of the features are already done by ALSA itself out-of-the-box.

> I always had issues with PA and I never had an issue when I replaced
> PA by dummy packages, but seemingly there's a work flow by a majority
> of Linux users, where having PA installed is an advantage.
>
> You might take a look at Debian users mailing list. On KDE4 PA is
> using 2% CPU already when doing nothing. For some people using 2% for
> nothing isn't a bug, it's ok for them.

So you see, that some people just don't care, maybe because they don't
know better. I would call those 2% buggy and a waste of resources.
Another reason not to using PulseAudio.

> Why should I trust that a musician is a good drummer, when she's a bad
> guitarist? Perhaps because she's a drummer .

This comparison is flawed. A guitarist wouldn't go on stage and drum,
if he can't drum, and vice versa. But Lennart writes a software for
something he at least doesn't know enough about (PulseAudio) and tries
to have this declared as standard, and at the same time writes another
software (systemd), which also has several issues or is at least not
really compatible with existing systems or script as far as I know,
instead of first fixing the first one, so that it really works. And
then he thinks he has to get involved in other things at the same time.
This is something completely different, and this is what I'm worried
about.

If he would do one thing and would really try to fix its issues and he
would really try to learn how to fix them, I wouldn't say much. But I
don't see this. So how should I trust him and his software if he gets
himself involved in several different things if he's not able to do the
one and even the other thing correctly?

Heiko

Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:05:25 +0000
schrieb Fons Adriaensen <fons@linuxaudio.org>:

> PA is for 'consumer' use, its scope ends at ITU 5.1 or so.
> It doesn't support any serious multichannel card (like the
> the comlete RME series, up to 64+64 channels). Users of such
> cards don't need or want PA, so it's really not a problem at
> all.

That's principally what I said. The problem is that several distros and
DEs like Gnome depend on PulseAudio as far as I know. This is
what I'm concerned about. Arch Linux and Xfce, what I'm using,
fortunately don't depend on it.

If PulseAudio was generally only optional and if its developers
wouldn't try to declare it as a standard, I just wouldn't care.

> If you use such cards you probably have Jack running, and
> if you really want PA you can configure it as a Jack client.

I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, so one of the cheapest
semi-professional audio cards of this kind. And I admit I primarily use
it for listening to music, watching videos etc. because of its sound
quality.

But you're right I don't want and need PulseAudio.

Heiko