Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Terrasoniq phase X64 - ice1712 - configuration

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 03:32 +0100, Lars Madson wrote:
> Hi Archers,
>
> I just received that external sound card, Terrasoniq Phase X64.
> It seems to be supported in the kernel using module ice1712.
>
> I've been reading about how to make it work in the last days.
> the closer I've been to see "it" was by listing some stuff (sorry for
> imprecision I forgot how since then),
> the card would appear with a number like this : 4ugxvhgblabla.
>
> I just installed alsa-tools-ice1712 1.0.25-1
> But it cannot sees it.
> Alsaconf shows an ISA P-n-P card...can it be the Terrasoniq?
>
> I don't know really where to start, as making a rule in udev to launch a
> .sh script, but I guess first I should find a way to see that card pluged
> somewhere, it's usb.
> also how to tell my kernel to load ice1712 maybe.
>
> Any advice are welcome!!
>
> Thanks
> Laurent

Hi Laurent,

"All necessary modules should be detected and loaded automatically by
udev" [1]. You don't need to do anything. Two of my sound cards are
ice1712 and I didn't configure anything, but they are detected. OTOH
those cards are PCI cards.

Anyway, to see if your USB card is detected you e.g. can run

$ hwinfo --usb

Then you should get something like
[snip]
Vendor: usb 0x0944 "KORG, Inc."
Device: usb 0x010f "nanoKONTROL"
Revision: "1.00"
Driver: "snd-usb-audio"
Driver Modules: "snd_usb_audio"
[snip]
Of cause, here it's not an USB ICE1712 device.

What happens if you run envy24control?

FWIW on my Arch alsa-tools-ice1712 isn't, but alsa-tools is installed.

- Ralf

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 09:35 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 03:32 +0100, Lars Madson wrote:
> > Hi Archers,
> >
> > I just received that external sound card, Terrasoniq Phase X64.
> > It seems to be supported in the kernel using module ice1712.
> >
> > I've been reading about how to make it work in the last days.
> > the closer I've been to see "it" was by listing some stuff (sorry for
> > imprecision I forgot how since then),
> > the card would appear with a number like this : 4ugxvhgblabla.
> >
> > I just installed alsa-tools-ice1712 1.0.25-1
> > But it cannot sees it.
> > Alsaconf shows an ISA P-n-P card...can it be the Terrasoniq?
> >
> > I don't know really where to start, as making a rule in udev to launch a
> > .sh script, but I guess first I should find a way to see that card pluged
> > somewhere, it's usb.
> > also how to tell my kernel to load ice1712 maybe.
> >
> > Any advice are welcome!!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Laurent
>
> Hi Laurent,
>
> "All necessary modules should be detected and loaded automatically by
> udev" [1]. You don't need to do anything. Two of my sound cards are
> ice1712 and I didn't configure anything, but they are detected. OTOH
> those cards are PCI cards.
>
> Anyway, to see if your USB card is detected you e.g. can run
>
> $ hwinfo --usb
>
> Then you should get something like
> [snip]
> Vendor: usb 0x0944 "KORG, Inc."
> Device: usb 0x010f "nanoKONTROL"
> Revision: "1.00"
> Driver: "snd-usb-audio"
> Driver Modules: "snd_usb_audio"
> [snip]
> Of cause, here it's not an USB ICE1712 device.
>
> What happens if you run envy24control?
>
> FWIW on my Arch alsa-tools-ice1712 isn't, but alsa-tools is installed.
>
> - Ralf
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

PS:
Oops, I googled and found out your audio device is USB 2.0, they were
(perhaps still are) known as not working with Linux.

Regarding to your USB 2.0 device I found a thread from 2010:
http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/2010/9/13/173602

- Ralf

Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 16:23 +0100, Lars Madson wrote:
> Usb 2 is supported since kernel 2.6

Yes, I'm using USB 2, but the vendors don't use plug'n'play conventions
for their USB 2 audio interfaces.
You need a USB driver written for your audio interface.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 16:15 +0100, Cédric Girard wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 16:23 +0100, Lars Madson wrote:
> > > Usb 2 is supported since kernel 2.6
> >
> > Yes, I'm using USB 2, but the vendors don't use plug'n'play conventions
> > for their USB 2 audio interfaces.
> > You need a USB driver written for your audio interface.
> >

> The new RME Fireface UCX is the only USB2 audio interface I've seen
> claiming class compliant mode (thus Linux compatibility). Other
> alternatives are FW devices (if supported bu FFADO) and PCI interfaces.

Whereas PCI is for PCI and PCIe, at least the HDSPe AIO is working. Just
hdspconf doesn't work.

[spinymouse@archlinux ~]$ hdspconf

HDSPConf 1.4 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
This program comes WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
HDSPConf is free software, see the file copying for details

Looking for HDSP cards :
Card 0 : RME AIO S/N 0x579bcc at 0xfdbf0000, irq 18
Card 1 : TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbf00, irq 20
Card 2 : TerraTec EWX24/96 at 0xbb00, irq 21
No Hammerfall DSP card found.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 19:55 +0100, Lars Madson wrote:
> Does it mean I should send back the phase x64 and look for another one?

Yes, I think so, but first ask at
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user , perhaps I'm
mistaken.

Regards,