Old 01-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Kwpolska

Default New PC and data copying -- am I doing this right?

I bought a new PC. I'm going to get it a bit later, I need a plan for
data movement. I created this, can someone please tell me if it's
okay, and, if it's not, what should I change?

01. Remove the OLDPC drivers from Arch on OLDHDD.
02. Connect the NEWHDD to the OLDPC.
03. Create the appropriate partitions on the NEWHDD (with new sizes,
EXCEPT Shared [NTFS])
04. Copy (dd) some partitions from OLDHDD to NEWHDD (Arch, Home,
Shared)
05. Use fsck on Arch and Home on NEWHDD (just in case.)
# Should I do something to get them to work with the new sizes? #
07. Resize Shared (NTFS) to the approperiate size.
08. Boot into Windows twice in order to check it.
09. Install GRUB on NEWHDD, shut down OLDPC and connect the NEWHDD
to the NEWPC.
10. Install NEWPC drivers to Arch on NEWHDD. (audio/video)
11. Install Windows 7 on the NEWPC.
12. Connect the NEWHDD back to the OLDPC. Re-install GRUB.
13. Boot into Windows XP on the OLDHDD. Copy some bigger Steam
games to the NEWHDD.
14. At long last, profit.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail * * *| always bottom-post

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanasis Georgiou

On 27 January 2012 20:37, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a new PC. *I'm going to get it a bit later, I need a plan for
> data movement. *I created this, can someone please tell me if it's
> okay, and, if it's not, what should I change?
>
> 01. Remove the OLDPC drivers from Arch on OLDHDD.
> 02. Connect the NEWHDD to the OLDPC.
> 03. Create the appropriate partitions on the NEWHDD (with new sizes,
> * *EXCEPT Shared [NTFS])
> 04. Copy (dd) some partitions from OLDHDD to NEWHDD (Arch, Home,
> * *Shared)
Maybe you shouldn't dd them. If you dd, you will copy every single
byte from the old partition. Maybe you can save (a lot) of time if you
just rsync/cp them.
> 05. Use fsck on Arch and Home on NEWHDD (just in case.)
> * *# Should I do something to get them to work with the new sizes? #
Yeah, you should resize the filesystem to fill the partition but I
have no idea how to do that manually. Parted magic does it for me.

--
Thanasis Georgiou

Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 20:59 +0200, Thanasis Georgiou wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 20:37, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I bought a new PC. I'm going to get it a bit later, I need a plan for
> > data movement. I created this, can someone please tell me if it's
> > okay, and, if it's not, what should I change?
> >
> > 01. Remove the OLDPC drivers from Arch on OLDHDD.
> > 02. Connect the NEWHDD to the OLDPC.
> > 03. Create the appropriate partitions on the NEWHDD (with new sizes,
> > EXCEPT Shared [NTFS])
> > 04. Copy (dd) some partitions from OLDHDD to NEWHDD (Arch, Home,
> > Shared)
> Maybe you shouldn't dd them. If you dd, you will copy every single
> byte from the old partition. Maybe you can save (a lot) of time if you
> just rsync/cp them.
> > 05. Use fsck on Arch and Home on NEWHDD (just in case.)
> > # Should I do something to get them to work with the new sizes? #
> Yeah, you should resize the filesystem to fill the partition but I
> have no idea how to do that manually. Parted magic does it for me.

If you cp -pr all files from the old to the new drive, there's no need
to resize. If you take care about globbing, everything, aka all files
will be copied.

> > 07. Resize Shared (NTFS) to the approperiate size.
> > 08. Boot into Windows twice in order to check it.
> > 09. Install GRUB on NEWHDD, shut down OLDPC and connect the NEWHDD
> > to the NEWPC.
> > 10. Install NEWPC drivers to Arch on NEWHDD. (audio/video)
> > 11. Install Windows 7 on the NEWPC.
> > 12. Connect the NEWHDD back to the OLDPC. Re-install GRUB.

Why won't you install Windows first?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Thanasis Georgiou <sakisds.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 20:37, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I bought a new PC. *I'm going to get it a bit later, I need a plan for
>> data movement. *I created this, can someone please tell me if it's
>> okay, and, if it's not, what should I change?
>>
>> 01. Remove the OLDPC drivers from Arch on OLDHDD.
>> 02. Connect the NEWHDD to the OLDPC.
>> 03. Create the appropriate partitions on the NEWHDD (with new sizes,
>> * *EXCEPT Shared [NTFS])
>> 04. Copy (dd) some partitions from OLDHDD to NEWHDD (Arch, Home,
>> * *Shared)
>
> Maybe you shouldn't dd them. If you dd, you will copy every single
> byte from the old partition. Maybe you can save (a lot) of time if you
> just rsync/cp them.

yes i would not even touch dd at all ... it will take much longer
because IIRC it will copy zeros, and each fs will need to be
resized/etc.

i would:

1) install the NEWHD
2) boot a livecd
3) partition to your liking (with NTFS being partition 1)
4) format each partition with the FS you want, including NTFS
5) mount all partitions from NEWHD
6) mount all partitions from OLDHD
7) rsync -avxHAXS /OLDHD/{partition}/ /NEWHD/{partition}/
8) goto 7

be sure to add the trailing slash rsync paths. personally i would
drop the `-v` verbose flag because the terminal driver will slow the
transfer ... i don't know how to get rsync to simply say "hey, i've
done X work so far" without spewing massive amounts of data to the
terminal.

the only probalem would be windows, if NTFS has some kind of internal
UUID, and it notices/cares (and windows *always* cares ;-)

... in which case i would suggest reactivating or hacking windows. you
bought it. you own it. it's yours.

--

C Anthony

Old 01-28-2012, 03:59 AM
atilla ontas

2012/1/27 C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me>:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Thanasis Georgiou <sakisds.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 27 January 2012 20:37, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I bought a new PC. *I'm going to get it a bit later, I need a plan for
>>> data movement. *I created this, can someone please tell me if it's
>>> okay, and, if it's not, what should I change?
>>>
>>> 01. Remove the OLDPC drivers from Arch on OLDHDD.
>>> 02. Connect the NEWHDD to the OLDPC.
>>> 03. Create the appropriate partitions on the NEWHDD (with new sizes,
>>> * *EXCEPT Shared [NTFS])
>>> 04. Copy (dd) some partitions from OLDHDD to NEWHDD (Arch, Home,
>>> * *Shared)
>>
>> Maybe you shouldn't dd them. If you dd, you will copy every single
>> byte from the old partition. Maybe you can save (a lot) of time if you
>> just rsync/cp them.
>
> yes i would not even touch dd at all ... it will take much longer
> because IIRC it will copy zeros, and each fs will need to be
> resized/etc.
>
> i would:
>

> 1) install the NEWHD
> 2) boot a livecd
> 3) partition to your liking (with NTFS being partition 1)
> 4) format each partition with the FS you want, including NTFS
> 5) mount all partitions from NEWHD
> 6) mount all partitions from OLDHD
> 7) rsync -avxHAXS /OLDHD/{partition}/ /NEWHD/{partition}/
> 8) goto 7
>
> be sure to add the trailing slash rsync paths. *personally i would
> drop the `-v` verbose flag because the terminal driver will slow the
> transfer ... i don't know how to get rsync to simply say "hey, i've
> done X work so far" without spewing massive amounts of data to the
> terminal.
>
> the only probalem would be windows, if NTFS has some kind of internal
> UUID, and it notices/cares (and windows *always* cares ;-)
>
> ... in which case i would suggest reactivating or hacking windows. you
> bought it. you own it. it's yours.
>
> --
>
> C Anthony

I have migrate to a new HD a week ago. I have combined 1 hd (Windows
with two partitions) and 2nd hd (Archlinux with two partitions) into 1
hd. I failed with dd, as windows created many problems (boot failures,
wrong partition sizes etc.). I have solved my problems with
fsarchiver. Booted into a livecd, used fsarchiver to create harddisk
images. Then restored images on new harddisk. It is really easy, but
you'll need a large space to record hd images. Fsarhiver creates hard
disk images without empty bytes.

My 2 cents...

Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Javier Vasquez

On 1/27/12, atilla ontas <tarakbumba@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/27 C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me>:
>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Thanasis Georgiou <sakisds.s@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe you shouldn't dd them. If you dd, you will copy every single
>>> byte from the old partition. Maybe you can save (a lot) of time if you
>>> just rsync/cp them.
>>
>> yes i would not even touch dd at all ... it will take much longer
>> because IIRC it will copy zeros, and each fs will need to be
>> resized/etc.
>>
>> i would:
>>

>> 1) install the NEWHD
>> 2) boot a livecd
>> 3) partition to your liking (with NTFS being partition 1)
>> 4) format each partition with the FS you want, including NTFS
>> 5) mount all partitions from NEWHD
>> 6) mount all partitions from OLDHD
>> 7) rsync -avxHAXS /OLDHD/{partition}/ /NEWHD/{partition}/
>> 8) goto 7
>>
>> be sure to add the trailing slash rsync paths. personally i would
>> drop the `-v` verbose flag because the terminal driver will slow the
>> transfer ... i don't know how to get rsync to simply say "hey, i've
>> done X work so far" without spewing massive amounts of data to the
>> terminal.
>>
>> the only probalem would be windows, if NTFS has some kind of internal
>> UUID, and it notices/cares (and windows *always* cares ;-)
>>
>> ... in which case i would suggest reactivating or hacking windows. you
>> bought it. you own it. it's yours.
>>
>> --
>>
>> C Anthony
>
> I have migrate to a new HD a week ago. I have combined 1 hd (Windows
> with two partitions) and 2nd hd (Archlinux with two partitions) into 1
> hd. I failed with dd, as windows created many problems (boot failures,
> wrong partition sizes etc.). I have solved my problems with
> fsarchiver. Booted into a livecd, used fsarchiver to create harddisk
> images. Then restored images on new harddisk. It is really easy, but
> you'll need a large space to record hd images. Fsarhiver creates hard
> disk images without empty bytes.
>
> My 2 cents...

I've migrated from old PC to new one, with several partitions, through
"cp -a", more than once (even when HW doesn't match):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disk_Cloning#Using_cp

The trick is being able to use an external HDD usb-2 case...

I'm happy with results, :-)

--
Javier.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Kwpolska

Okay then, I don't think I'd get more responses than that. I think
I'll choose C Anthony Risinger's solution, because I trust rsync more
than regular cp.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me> wrote:

> the only probalem would be windows, if NTFS has some kind of internal
> UUID, and it notices/cares (and windows *always* cares ;-)
>
> ... in which case i would suggest reactivating or hacking windows. you
> bought it. you own it. it's yours.

It's an OEM, I'm changing PCs, so it won't work. I am reinstalling
Windows anyway, because using XP on such machine (3-core AMD Athlon
3.4GHz, GeForce GTS450, USB3.0, 4GB RAM) would be a stupid idea.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 12:44 +0100, Kwpolska wrote:
> It's an OEM, I'm changing PCs, so it won't work. I am reinstalling
> Windows anyway, because using XP on such machine (3-core AMD Athlon
> 3.4GHz, GeForce GTS450, USB3.0, 4GB RAM) would be a stupid idea.

Did you test wine or virtualization?
I'm using Linux only, but I'm aware that sometimes Windows is needed.
Btw. I would like to use wine for a KORG nanoKONTROL, hardware to
control audio apps on Linux, but it would be nice to run the original
software to program the KORG device. And since I won an iPad 2 I
currently try to get an Apple thingy run on wine, unfortunately there
are still issues with wine for Arch on my machine. I noticed that even
stuff that at work run on Windows, often run at Linux too, e.g. when I
worked for Brauner microphones Eagle was software we look at, such
amazing software is available for Linux too. Perhaps you've got good
reasons to install Windows, if not, try wine or try to install Windows
to a virtual machine, since this at least could save the trouble to
reboot.

- Ralf

PS, not important:
> Okay then, I don't think I'd get more responses than that. I think
> I'll choose C Anthony Risinger's solution, because I trust rsync more
> than regular cp.

Just to copy and not to sync, they're doing the same. While I haven't
thought about links, since it's not an issue on my machine, cp -pr isn't
optimal, as somebody mentioned cp -a is the way to go. IMO rsync has to
many options that could cause issues, when new to rsync. I suspect that
globbing will be the same as it is for cp. Anyway, both are better than
dd for your task.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Kwpolska

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 12:44 +0100, Kwpolska wrote:
>> It's an OEM, I'm changing PCs, so it won't work. *I am reinstalling
>> Windows anyway, because using XP on such machine (3-core AMD Athlon
>> 3.4GHz, GeForce GTS450, USB3.0, 4GB RAM) would be a stupid idea.
>
> Did you test wine or virtualization?
> I'm using Linux only, but I'm aware that sometimes Windows is needed.
> Btw. I would like to use wine for a KORG nanoKONTROL, hardware to
> control audio apps on Linux, but it would be nice to run the original
> software to program the KORG device. And since I won an iPad 2 I
> currently try to get an Apple thingy run on wine, unfortunately there
> are still issues with wine for Arch on my machine. I noticed that even
> stuff that at work run on Windows, often run at Linux too, e.g. when I
> worked for Brauner microphones Eagle was software we look at, such
> amazing software is available for Linux too. Perhaps you've got good
> reasons to install Windows, if not, try wine or try to install Windows
> to a virtual machine, since this at least could save the trouble to
> reboot.

Have you ever attempted to play a game through wine or a virtual
machine? Then you should know why I am installing Windows that way
and why does it get over half of the drive (yes, I'm that crazy)

> - Ralf
>
> PS, not important:
>> Okay then, I don't think I'd get more responses than that. *I think
>> I'll choose C Anthony Risinger's solution, because I trust rsync more
>> than regular cp.
>
> Just to copy and not to sync, they're doing the same. While I haven't
> thought about links, since it's not an issue on my machine, cp -pr isn't
> optimal, as somebody mentioned cp -a is the way to go. IMO rsync has to
> many options that could cause issues, when new to rsync. I suspect that
> globbing will be the same as it is for cp. Anyway, both are better than
> dd for your task.

I'm not new to rsync, if you care.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-01-29 at 17:28 +0100, Kwpolska wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Ralf Mardorf
> > Perhaps you've got good
> > reasons to install Windows, if not, try wine or try to install Windows
> > to a virtual machine, since this at least could save the trouble to
> > reboot.
>
> Have you ever attempted to play a game through wine or a virtual
> machine?

No, I don't play video games. So you've good reasons to install
Windows .