Old 01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Peter G Nikolic

Default PKGBUILD help

Hi ..

I am trying to install my favorite editor joe now i have the "PKGBUILD"
file have run "makepkg" it has built ok no erors but how the heck do i
install it says installed but it has not it has just created the directorys
in the build dir but not actually installed it on the system .

I am also still unable to get anywhere near that close with google earth
just piles of complaints (all 32 but complaints but the system is 64 bit i
have the .deb 64 bit down to no avail .

Is there any clear concise documentation for the PKGBUILD / makepkg system
most times so far with arch i have fund what i needed but this time :-(

Pete .

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.2.1-2-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.7.4 (4.7.4)

Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Peter G Nikolic
> Hi ..
>
> I am trying to install my favorite editor * joe * now i have the "PKGBUILD"
> file *have *run "makepkg" it has built ok no erors but how the heck do i
> install *it says installed but it has not it has just created the directorys
> in the build dir *but not actually installed it on the system *.

Where does it say it's installed? You mean 'pacman -Q joe'?
Did you run just 'makepkg' or 'makepkg -i' or ...?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanasis Georgiou

On 27 January 2012 17:40, Peter G Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi ..
>
> I am trying to install my favorite editor * joe * now i have the "PKGBUILD"
> file *have *run "makepkg" it has built ok no erors but how the heck do i
> install *it says installed but it has not it has just created the directorys
> in the build dir *but not actually installed it on the system *.

makepkg only creates a package. To install it, run pacman -U
/where/your/pkgbuild/is/packagename-packageversion.pkg.tar.xz.
Or run makepkg -i (or makepkg -si which will install dependencies too).

I am pretty sure the wiki explains PKGBUILDs pretty good, take a look

--
Thanasis Georgiou

Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Taylor Hedberg

Either use `makepkg -i` to install automatically after building, or
`pacman -U foo.pkg.tar.xz` to manually install the built package.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Tim Stella

Seems to me like you'd like an aur tool like 'yaourt' -- then it'd be as simple
as 'yaourt -S joe'. Their homepage has installation instructions you can copy
and paste as well.

Tim

Old 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Tim Stella <denstark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems to me like you'd like an aur tool like 'yaourt' -- then it'd be as simple
> as 'yaourt -S joe'. Their homepage has installation instructions you can copy
> and paste as well.

I should say that a AUR tool is only useful for those who understand
AUR well. First, he needs to grasp the basics, so he needs to head
over to the wiki.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555

Old 01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Peter G Nikolic

On Friday 27 Jan 2012 17:47:26 Thanasis Georgiou wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 17:40, Peter G Nikolic <p.nikolic1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi ..
> >
> > I am trying to install my favorite editor joe now i have the
> > "PKGBUILD" file have run "makepkg" it has built ok no erors but how
> > the heck do i install it says installed but it has not it has just
> > created the directorys in the build dir but not actually installed it
> > on the system .
> makepkg only creates a package. To install it, run pacman -U
> /where/your/pkgbuild/is/packagename-packageversion.pkg.tar.xz.

Hi thanks that was the one i wanted

> Or run makepkg -i (or makepkg -si which will install dependencies too).
>
> I am pretty sure the wiki explains PKGBUILDs pretty good, take a look

Did but could not find much never mind solved now thanks
now just to olve the google earth one ..

Pete

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.2.1-2-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.7.4 (4.7.4)
16:20:59 up 2 days, 16:50, 5 users, load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.15

Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Peter G Nikolic
>> Or run makepkg -i (or makepkg -si which will install dependencies too).
>>
>> I am pretty sure the wiki explains PKGBUILDs pretty good, take a look
>
> Did but could not find much * never mind * solved now thanks
> now just to olve the google earth one ..

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS

This is really important. You should read it through.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 10:47 -0500, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
> Either use `makepkg -i` to install automatically after building, or
> `pacman -U foo.pkg.tar.xz` to manually install the built package.

FWIW makepkg -i requires sudo. I don't set up sudo for my user.

IMO there are good wikis about building packages, anyway, when I started
I was thankful that somebody on the list explained me, how to build
dummy packages.

IMO using ABS is very pleasant. I used it for Qtractor from svn and btw.
I excluded the checksum.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

- Ralf

Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 AM
John K Pate

> Yes been there but all that happens is i get a load of failed deps one of
> which it seems cannot be satisfied and all 32 bit stuff this is a 64 bit the
> PKGBUILD mentions 64 bit but goes for 32 bit the fails also complains about
> google-earth.install is missing so i dont know where to look next

It installs 32-bit libraries because the google-earth binary is 32-bit.
You can still run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit system. I've got a 64-bit
system and it's installed and runs fine.

The missing dependency is probably ld-lsb, which you have to get from
the AUR and install prior to installing google-earth.

If it is complaining about a missing google-earth.install, probably you
downloaded just the PKGBUILD. Download and extract the full tarball and
you'll have google-earth.install.

I should point out that all of this information is available at:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR

==
John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.