Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default iPad - FLOSS on the iPad - data transfer between an Arch PC and an iPad

Hi

I won a MC770FD/A iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB Black. I'm uncertain if I should
retain or sell it. The iPad was delivered today and I still didn't
configure it. I don't need all those consumer toys and I don't like
proprietary software, especially I don't like Apple regarding to the
company's policy.

It would be nice to have something for reading, instead of wasting money
for ink cartridges, if I won't sit in front of my PC's monitor. Perhaps
an iPad could be useful for drawing. Running Qt linguist also would be
comfortable to do translations, when I won't sit in front of my PC's
monitor. Additionally it would be good to have a portable audio
recorder, since my DAT recorders are broken.

Believing information from the Internet, running Linux on the iPad 2
shouldn't be possible and even original Linux apps that are available
for MacOs shouldn't work on an iPad too.

I wonder if Qt linguist and some FLOSS audio software would run on an
iPad under it's iPad OS?

Since my PC has got a wired connection to an ADSL modem (PPPoE), the PCI
slots are used by 2 TerraTec EWX 24/96 cards used as MIDI interfaces and
the PCIe slots are used for a RME HDSPe AIO card for audio and a GeForce
7200GS graphics, I only could connect the iPad by USB to the PC and
Internet, because there are no free slots on my mobo.

Because I never used Wi-Fi or Bluetooth I wonder if those elCheapo USB
2.0 solutions will work with kernel ex 3.0-rt or at least with kernel ex
3.2 without rt patch.

http://www.reichelt.de/WLAN-Adapter/0/16/index.html?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=770;SID=13TyKWTH 8AAAIAADxiRjke9dfa8a88a9e2044f346f70b4c26a4ce
http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?ACTION=2;GROUPID=4321;SEARCH=Bluetooth

Any hints are welcome,

Ralf

Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Jelle van der Waa

On Jan 27, 2012 2:53 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I won a MC770FD/A iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB Black. I'm uncertain if I should
> retain or sell it. The iPad was delivered today and I still didn't
> configure it. I don't need all those consumer toys and I don't like
> proprietary software, especially I don't like Apple regarding to the
> company's policy.
>
> It would be nice to have something for reading, instead of wasting money
> for ink cartridges, if I won't sit in front of my PC's monitor.

I would rather buy an e reader for reading . Most of them work with calibre.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 14:57 +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2012 2:53 PM, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I won a MC770FD/A iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB Black. I'm uncertain if I should
> > retain or sell it. [snip]
> I would rather buy an e reader for reading . Most of them work with calibre.

I agree, I never ever would buy any iThingy myself.
OTOH since I won it, it would be great if there at least would be a
"gratis" virtualization client for iOS, to run Arch or any other Linux.

Gratis, but perhaps to run Windows only?
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vmware-view-for-ipad/id417993697?mt=8

Greetings,
Ralf

Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Rogutės Sparnuotos

Hi, Ralf,

Ralf Mardorf (2012-01-27 14:52):
> Hi
>
> I won a MC770FD/A iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32GB Black. I'm uncertain if I should
> retain or sell it. The iPad was delivered today and I still didn't
> configure it. I don't need all those consumer toys and I don't like
> proprietary software, especially I don't like Apple regarding to the
> company's policy.

This mailing list is for "General Discussion about Arch Linux" [1].

Life questions should be addressed to https://bbs.archlinux.org (and you
would find a better audience there). Or am I the only one wondering why
this list is turning into a forum?

> Because I never used Wi-Fi or Bluetooth I wonder if those elCheapo USB
> 2.0 solutions will work with kernel ex 3.0-rt or at least with kernel ex
> 3.2 without rt patch.
>
> http://www.reichelt.de/WLAN-Adapter/0/16/index.html?;ACTION=2;LA=2;GROUPID=770;SID=13TyKWTH 8AAAIAADxiRjke9dfa8a88a9e2044f346f70b4c26a4ce
> http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?ACTION=2;GROUPID=4321;SEARCH=Bluetooth
>
> Any hints are welcome,

Wifi is better suited for internet connectivity (and Linux might have
problems with bluetooth in this regard). For wireless devices, look at
this list: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB
A device supporting hardware access point mode would be best.
I used an old one from the list (a Zydas ZD1221) and it worked fine, but
I didn't try to run an access point.

--
-- Rogutės Sparnuotos

Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Rogutės Sparnuotos
<rogutes@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Or am I the only one wondering why list is turning into a forum?

Pretty much... I thought the words "General Discussion" in the list
subject allowed for that kind of behavior

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555

Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 17:13 +0200, Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:
> Wifi is better suited for internet connectivity (and Linux might have
> problems with bluetooth in this regard). For wireless devices, look at
> this list: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB
> A device supporting hardware access point mode would be best.
> I used an old one from the list (a Zydas ZD1221) and it worked fine, but
> I didn't try to run an access point.

Thank you Rogutės . To funny, since a friend today perhaps will lend
me a bluetooth and unfortunately the weekend will delay deliveries of a
wi-fi.

- Ralf