Old 01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Ralf Madorf

Default Pacman v4.0.1-4 could be less verbose

Hi

I wonder if warnings like

# pacman -Syu
warning: qtractor: local (0.5.3.15-2684) is newer than community
(0.5.3-1)
warning: rtirq: local (20111007-1) is newer than archaudio-preview
(20090920-1)

are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
uncomfortable to read more important output.

2 Cents,

Ralf

Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Ralf Madorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I wonder if warnings like
> are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
> uncomfortable to read more important output.

This is nothing new, pacman 3 had these too.
You should read the whole output anyway because there's no telling
where some important things might be.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Stefan Wilkens

2012/1/25 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> Hi
>
> I wonder if warnings like
>
> # pacman -Syu
> warning: qtractor: local (0.5.3.15-2684) is newer than community
> (0.5.3-1)
> warning: rtirq: local (20111007-1) is newer than archaudio-preview
> (20090920-1)
>
> are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
> uncomfortable to read more important output.
>
> 2 Cents,
>
> Ralf

This is a pretty significant warning though, that -Syu might lead to a
library upgrade that breaks the apparently newer than in repo version
of your application or other unwanted situations. Something is
non-standard, pacman is warning you of this.

Having said that, I'd like to add that cherry-picking updates is
generally a bad idea. You should stick to repository updates unless
you have a very good reason to cherry pick.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 23:53:57 +0100
Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if warnings like
>
> # pacman -Syu
> warning: qtractor: local (0.5.3.15-2684) is newer than community
> (0.5.3-1)
> warning: rtirq: local (20111007-1) is newer than archaudio-preview
> (20090920-1)
>
> are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
> uncomfortable to read more important output.
>
> 2 Cents,
>
> Ralf

Well, usually people complain that pacman doesn't show enough info... Have you
tried the -q options?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 00:02 +0100, Stefan Wilkens wrote:
> 2012/1/25 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> > Hi
> >
> > I wonder if warnings like
> >
> > # pacman -Syu
> > warning: qtractor: local (0.5.3.15-2684) is newer than community
> > (0.5.3-1)
> > warning: rtirq: local (20111007-1) is newer than archaudio-preview
> > (20090920-1)
> >
> > are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
> > uncomfortable to read more important output.
> >
> > 2 Cents,
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> This is a pretty significant warning though, that -Syu might lead to a
> library upgrade that breaks the apparently newer than in repo version
> of your application or other unwanted situations. Something is
> non-standard, pacman is warning you of this.
>
> Having said that, I'd like to add that cherry-picking updates is
> generally a bad idea. You should stick to repository updates unless
> you have a very good reason to cherry pick.

rtirq is outdated and doesn't work with the AUR's kernel-rt, it's from
the archstudio repo that is optimized for Intel Core {i3,i5,i7} CPU, not
important for this script, but regarding to other software I guess my
Athlon dual-core shouldn't use this repo

Sometimes I'm a Qtractor svn tester and at the moment I do the German
translation for Qtractor from svn, so I build it from svn.

For audio there could be many reasons to build current versions, a while
ago I had to build ALSA to get my RME PCIe card work, I had to build
Jack2, to get less MIDI jitter etc..

So for me there are very good reasons. I suspect that upgrades will
break a newer software version than that from the repositories very
often , usually older libs tend to cause issues.

IMO this output doesn't make much sense.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 00:16 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 00:02 +0100, Stefan Wilkens wrote:
> > 2012/1/25 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I wonder if warnings like
> > >
> > > # pacman -Syu
> > > warning: qtractor: local (0.5.3.15-2684) is newer than community
> > > (0.5.3-1)
> > > warning: rtirq: local (20111007-1) is newer than archaudio-preview
> > > (20090920-1)
> > >
> > > are useful? Once there will be more packages, it will become
> > > uncomfortable to read more important output.
> > >
> > > 2 Cents,
> > >
> > > Ralf
> > >

> > This is a pretty significant warning though, that -Syu might lead to a
> > library upgrade that breaks the apparently newer than in repo version
> > of your application or other unwanted situations. Something is
> > non-standard, pacman is warning you of this.
> >
> > Having said that, I'd like to add that cherry-picking updates is
> > generally a bad idea. You should stick to repository updates unless
> > you have a very good reason to cherry pick.
>

> rtirq is outdated and doesn't work with the AUR's kernel-rt, it's from
> the archstudio repo that is optimized for Intel Core {i3,i5,i7} CPU, not
> important for this script, but regarding to other software I guess my
> Athlon dual-core shouldn't use this repo
>
> Sometimes I'm a Qtractor svn tester and at the moment I do the German
> translation for Qtractor from svn, so I build it from svn.
>
> For audio there could be many reasons to build current versions, a while
> ago I had to build ALSA to get my RME PCIe card work, I had to build
> Jack2, to get less MIDI jitter etc..
>
> So for me there are very good reasons. I suspect that upgrades will
^^^^
won't

Old 01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 17:09 -0600, Leonid Isaev wrote:
> Well, usually people complain that pacman doesn't show enough info... Have you
> tried the -q options?

No I didn't.

# pacman -Syup

at the moment only will remove the unwanted output.

Thank you,

Ralf