Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM
David Rosenstrauch

Default Brightness keys no longer working

The screen brightness increase and decrease keys on my laptop seem to be
no longer working. They were definitely working a week or so ago, so
I'm thinking some recent upgrade is responsible.

It's not that the keypress is registering and the app just doesn't
brighten the screen. But rather, that the keypress doesn't seem to be
registering at all (i.e., when I try pressing it while using the "xev" X
events tester app). About a week ago, xev used to show a keypress event
for something like "XF86BrightnessUp" or some such; now it shows
nothing. Anyone have any idea what the culprit might be?

Thanks,

DR

Old 01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net> wrote:
> The screen brightness increase and decrease keys on my laptop seem to be no
> longer working.

This is udev's fault, udev-179 in testing should have fixed it. I'll
move it to core asap.

-t

Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Taylor Hedberg

Try installing udev-git from the AUR. I had a similar problem with the
Fn key in combination with the F1-F12 keys on my laptop; X wasn't
registering any keypress events for those keystrokes. A thread on the
forums about a related issue [1] suggested trying udev-git and it solved
the problem for me.

udev-179 (which is the current version in Git) is in [testing], so the
official package should have the fix fairly soon.

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1047167

Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM
David Rosenstrauch

The screen brightness increase and decrease keys on my laptop seem to be no
longer working.

This is udev's fault, udev-179 in testing should have fixed it. I'll
move it to core asap.

-t

OK, cool. Glad it's not me. I'll wait for the new version.

Thanks,

DR

Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:22 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose@darose.net> wrote:
> On 01/25/2012 11:18 AM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM, David Rosenstrauch<darose@darose.net>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> The screen brightness increase and decrease keys on my laptop seem to be
>>> no
>>> longer working.
>>

>> This is udev's fault, udev-179 in testing should have fixed it. I'll
>> move it to core asap.
>>
>> -t
>

> OK, cool. *Glad it's not me. *I'll wait for the new version.

Moved to [core] now (as soon as mirrors have synced that is).

Cheers,

Tom