Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Default root not remounted rw

Hi there,
on one of my laptops, the one that runs Arch since 2+ years now, root
isn't remounted rw for some reason. Manually remounting ("sudo remount
-r remount,rw /dev/sda3/ /") after boot works fine. There are no errors
in dmesg. This problem persists since a few weeks, the system is fully
updated. I couldn't figure out what the problem could be, so I hope you
could help me on this one.

One additional piece of information, related or not, is that apparently
the mainboard battery has gone flat, the laptop thinks its 2006 after
every boot until ntpd corrects the time. This happened a couple of weeks
before the remount problem showed up, so I doubt it's related.

Things I've tried:
- filesystem check
- SMART check
- re-install of various packages

Regards,
Philipp

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM

Le mardi 24 jan 2012 à 21:32:11 (+0100), Philipp Überbacher a écrit :

> Hi there,
> on one of my laptops, the one that runs Arch since 2+ years now, root
> isn't remounted rw for some reason. Manually remounting ("sudo remount
> -r remount,rw /dev/sda3/ /") after boot works fine. There are no errors
> in dmesg. This problem persists since a few weeks, the system is fully
> updated. I couldn't figure out what the problem could be, so I hope you
> could help me on this one.
>
> One additional piece of information, related or not, is that apparently
> the mainboard battery has gone flat, the laptop thinks its 2006 after
> every boot until ntpd corrects the time. This happened a couple of weeks
> before the remount problem showed up, so I doubt it's related.
>
> Things I've tried:
> - filesystem check
> - SMART check
> - re-install of various packages
>
> Regards,
> Philipp
Could you show us your /etc/fstab file ?

--
Pazdera Corentin (Nado)
Clé PGP/PGP key : http://troglodyte.be/pub/pubkey.pgp.asc

Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Quoting (2012-01-24 21:53:55)
>Le mardi 24 jan 2012 à 21:32:11 (+0100), Philipp Überbacher a écrit :
>>
>> Hi there,
>> on one of my laptops, the one that runs Arch since 2+ years now, root
>> isn't remounted rw for some reason. Manually remounting ("sudo remount
>> -r remount,rw /dev/sda3/ /") after boot works fine. There are no errors
>> in dmesg. This problem persists since a few weeks, the system is fully
>> updated. I couldn't figure out what the problem could be, so I hope you
>> could help me on this one.
>>
>> One additional piece of information, related or not, is that apparently
>> the mainboard battery has gone flat, the laptop thinks its 2006 after
>> every boot until ntpd corrects the time. This happened a couple of weeks
>> before the remount problem showed up, so I doubt it's related.
>>
>> Things I've tried:
>> - filesystem check
>> - SMART check
>> - re-install of various packages
>>
>> Regards,
>> Philipp
>Could you show us your /etc/fstab file ?

Thanks Nado,
this was the hint I needed. I compared the fstab entry with the one of
my new Arch install and noticed that it had an entry for /. Once I had
added the entry root was mounted rw as it should be. I don't remember
editing fstab recently so I don't know how this came to be. Maybe the /
entry wasn't needed for a while? I remember a change a couple months
back that suggested the removal of fstab entries.

Anyway, what's the explanation for this behavior? Is / only mounted (and
remounted) ro by default? I guess it's the 'defaults' entry, which
includes rw, that leads to the remount as rw. Is it normal that it is
necessary?

Sorry Nado for only replying to you personally the first time, I'm using
a new mail client that's not as clever as the previous one and I need to
manually tell it to reply to the list, which I tend to forget.

Regards,
Philipp

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Vic Demuzere

On 26 January 2012 12:43, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Anyway, what's the explanation for this behavior? Is / only mounted (and
> remounted) ro by default? I guess it's the 'defaults' entry, which
> includes rw, that leads to the remount as rw. Is it normal that it is
> necessary?

This has changed recently (in the filesystem package, if I remember
correctly). The / partition used to be mounted rw automatically, now
it uses the fstab entry as that allows you to mount it ro if you want.

--
Vic Demuzere

Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Vic Demuzere <vic@demuzere.be> wrote:
> On 26 January 2012 12:43, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, what's the explanation for this behavior? Is / only mounted (and
>> remounted) ro by default? I guess it's the 'defaults' entry, which
>> includes rw, that leads to the remount as rw. Is it normal that it is
>> necessary?
>
> This has changed recently (in the filesystem package, if I remember
> correctly). The / partition used to be mounted rw automatically, now
> it uses the fstab entry as that allows you to mount it ro if you want.

The change was in 'initscripts'. The default is to remount rw, but you
need to have an entry for '/' in fstab.

-t

Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Quoting Tom Gundersen (2012-01-26 13:12:16)
>On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Vic Demuzere <vic@demuzere.be> wrote:
>> On 26 January 2012 12:43, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@lavabit.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, what's the explanation for this behavior? Is / only mounted (and
>>> remounted) ro by default? I guess it's the 'defaults' entry, which
>>> includes rw, that leads to the remount as rw. Is it normal that it is
>>> necessary?
>>
>> This has changed recently (in the filesystem package, if I remember
>> correctly). The / partition used to be mounted rw automatically, now
>> it uses the fstab entry as that allows you to mount it ro if you want.
>
>The change was in 'initscripts'. The default is to remount rw, but you
>need to have an entry for '/' in fstab.
>
>-t

Thanks Vic and Tom, I wasn't aware of this change.

Regards,
Philipp