Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Norbert Zeh

Default netcfg inconsistency

Hi folks,

I'm using netcfg heavily on my laptop, both for the wireless and wired adapters.
Particularly, I use the net-auto-wirelss and net-auto-wired scripts to enable
auto-configuration of these adapters.

The net-auto-wireless script of the most recent netcfg package sources
/etc/conf.d/netcfg. Thus, there is no need to clutter /etc/rc.conf with netcfg
configuration. The net-auto-wired script on the other hand does not source
/etc/conf.d/netcfg and thus fails unless WIRED_INTERFACE="..." is specified in
rc.conf.

It's certainly a matter of taste whether these configuration settings should
live in /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d/netcfg, but I think both scripts should be
consistent. If the difference in how they treat /etc/conf.d/netcfg is
intentional, I'd like to know the reason.

Cheers,
Norbert